cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking TC in Chicago?

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of parking spaces in Chicago that A TC would fit in? Preferably close to the Willis tower. Also where would be the nearest campground to the center of town.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
30 REPLIES 30

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
There are two State Parks with easy access to Chicago:

1. Illinois Beach SP in Beach Park (the next town North of Waukegan).

2. Chain o' Lakes SP near Spring Grove/Fox Lake.

Commuter train service (METRA) is available from both parks. As previously stated; DO NOT try to drive in Chicago.

Metra offers a "weekend pass" for $7.50 (unlimited rides).

While you are in the area, take the train out to Oak Park where you can take a walking tour of my paper route (almost every house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright).

Edit to add:
"Trucks and RVs are not allowed on Lake Shore Drive or any 'Boulevard'"

not just Lake Shore Drive not allowed on any Drive and some parts of I90/94.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did it, don't plan to do it again. Ended up parked off of South Lake Shore Drive just south of McCormick Place in the spaces for the park and trail along the shoreline there. Spent alot of time reading Height limit signs when I drove through downtown.

Chicago drivers make Californian's seem tame.

Led 67 wrote:
X10 on South Side Chicago and whatever you do if you find your self sidetracked into Gary IN. GTHO pronto. I used to run a Semi in and out of that area and yes it can get pretty bad on the South Side and worse in Gary.
However there are many sights to see in downtown and other areas as well that are very nice, not to mention the diversity of ethnic quisine, so just watch where you are and use your judgement to stay safe.
Good Luck

I must have missed the bad side of Gary, I replaced my brake pads on the front of my truck at a Autozone on Grant St, in Gary.

67avion wrote:
I live in Illinois and I wouldn't spend time in Chicago without an armed guard. Actually they don't observe the 2nd Amendment for citizens, preferring to let the gangbangers have all the guns. And I'd have lost my mind if you found me tooling around in my TC on Michigan Ave.

Has anyone mentioned that they sold the rights to parking meters to some sketchy outfit that jacked the rates and sent back some walking around money to the pols. Woe unto you if you get a parking ticket.

OTOH you may make it unscathed. Not likely, but stranger things have happened. If you get through OK then you should try Detroit. Now that's the big leagues.

Been there, done that. Michigan is a mess, looped through there several times while Dawn went to Navy Pier.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I am STUNNED to hear that Chicago is not safe.

I was under the impression that most privately-held guns were illegal there, so I assumed it was a peaceful, brotherly-loving paradise.

Huh. ๐Ÿ™‚

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
I'll throw in one more reason to stay out of the city: there are numerous low clearance bridges throughout the city. Some are in the downtown area but at least one is right off an exit from the southbound Dan Ryan.

Unless you are really good at backing up through traffic (or always wanted an open-top camper), leave it and take the train.
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I asked a friend and here's his response

I have several suggestions for campgrounds, but as for parking downtown Chicago, I don't- never drove into that part of the city in 32 years. There are some limitations on trucks in the city, particularly along Lake Shore Drive, that he should be aware of. I'd recommend for his parking questions, he post in the "campgrounds & parks" (similar name) section of the forum. There are others on here who are from the Chicago area who may be able to give him some ideas regarding parking.

As for campgrounds, his best bets will be a good 30-40 miles outside the city. (There are none in the city of Chicago to my knowledge.) If he is traveling there in the winter, he will have trouble finding much of anything closer than Utica, IL; very few northern IL campgrounds are open off-season. OK, assuming he's going during camping season, I'd recommend either Indiana Dunes State Park (near Michigan City, Indiana) or Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL. Both are near commuter rail lines into the city (which is by far the best way to travel into the city, IMO, and will make the parking question moot.) Both are popular, Indiana Dunes especially, and he will need advance reservations. Sites have electric hookups and the CGs have showers; no other hookups available, unless things have changed in the last 3 years. If he wants FHUs, he'll have to go a bit farther - Chicago NW KOA in Union, IL or (I think it's called) Hickory Hollow - something like that - in Utica, IL would be best bets there. The state parks are much nicer, IMO. Hope this helps!
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Chicago have lived here for fifty years (in the actual city, not the suburbs). I think it is the greatest city in the world. Many things to do and see and more great restaurants than you could visit in a lifetime. And yes, like all major cities there are parts that you would not want to be in. I agree with some of the previous posters it is better to take public transport to get around the city, especially when you are visiting the city center. If you must drive into the city. Your parking choices street parking or surface parking lots. There are mostly parking structures in the area around Willys (by the way we Chicagoans still refer to the building as Sears Tower) with very low clearance (<7'-0"). All street parking is paid parking by the quarter hour, I believe with a maximum parking limit of two hours. I would not park there unless you get lucky and find a really large spot to pull into. There are some surface parking lots just across the river to the west of Willys Tower, in Greek town. You could park there. You can usually park for about $20 for the day and walk to Willys it is around a mile walk. The nice thing about parking here is that you are in the middle of Greek Town. This area is along Halsted St. just to the west of downtown and Willys. This area is famous for the many great Greek restaurants that are located here. All of them very authentic. I would highly suggest lunch or dinner there. There are five main restaurants along this strip, all of them are on my recommended list. Make sure you get the flaming cheese appetizer when you go there. This dish was invented in Chicago at the Parthenon restaurant. The Parthenon is my favorite but a bit more upscale than the other four. Personally for me, Giordano's and the other famous place Gino's East are over rated (tourist place). Personally I like Connie's pizza myself.
The whole area is very congested especially during the week and the drivers are pretty aggressive, especially around RVs.
As far as camping pezvela is on the money about Illinois Beach State Park and Chain o' Lakes State Park. Water and dump stations are open by the end March early April. If you have any questions PM me.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
X10 on South Side Chicago and whatever you do if you find your self sidetracked into Gary IN. GTHO pronto. I used to run a Semi in and out of that area and yes it can get pretty bad on the South Side and worse in Gary.
However there are many sights to see in downtown and other areas as well that are very nice, not to mention the diversity of ethnic quisine, so just watch where you are and use your judgement to stay safe.
Good Luck

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
There are two State Parks with easy access to Chicago:

1. Illinois Beach SP in Beach Park (the next town North of Waukegan).

2. Chain o' Lakes SP near Spring Grove/Fox Lake.

Commuter train service (METRA) is available from both parks. As previously stated; DO NOT try to drive in Chicago.

Metra offers a "weekend pass" for $7.50 (unlimited rides).

While you are in the area, take the train out to Oak Park where you can take a walking tour of my paper route (almost every house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright).

Edit to add:
"Trucks and RVs are not allowed on Lake Shore Drive or any 'Boulevard'"
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
While living four years out in the western suburbs (Westmont, IL), my wife and I often rode the train (CTA) into Chicago to site see, see a play, or shop. Parking is available for you out in the Chicago burbs and the train is safe, fun, and convenient. The cost to ride is reasonable as well.

I would not advocate driving any type RV into the city due to traffic congestion, very expensive parking rates, and lack of any type RV parking. No, can't suggest you attempt to take a TC downtown.

Chicago is a great place to visit. Much to see and do there. As others have suggested, you should avoid the citys south end for safety reasons. That said, Chicago is no more or less safe than any mega size city in the U.S.

Do some reading about the city sites, make some plans relative to parking and public transportation, and enjoy a great american city.
2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
I guess a strange thing happened to me. I lived through visiting Chicago AND enjoyed it. I had never been there before.

Saw games at Wrigley, U.S, Cellular Field, hit Joe's Seafood, the Girl and the Goat, the Apollo Theatre for a performance of the Million Dollar Quartet (highly recommended), did the whole Field Museum (amazing!), Shedd's, Navy Pier, took an architectural tour, a river tour, a walking tour in downtown, went to Giordano's TWICE, Millenium Park.....you get the picture. Typical Tourists Gone Wild.

Stayed in a modest hotel out by Midway; not quite the South Side but in a predominately Hispanic area and the wife and I are honkies, so we didnt just blend in. Walked to a taco stand one night. Ate there right next to ACTUAL PERSON'S OF COLOR! Absolutely death-defying!!!!

Yep, we even drove Michigan Ave. and Lakeshore Drive. F350 Supercab, long bed, 9-6 Lance on the back. We got some looks like "what are you doing with that thing down here?!!" but it all worked out. No bullet holes in the rig.......or me and the wife. We did not attempt to park downtown; just drove through once on our way up to Waukegan and back down to the Midway area. Did it all on surface streets to see the town. From then on it was buses and the trains. GREAT CITY!!!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
But since you are going.... stop at one of these

Giordanos Resturants.

Look at their menu.

and, since I am not going... I am ordering a couple of the stuffed pizza's online for mail delivery next week.

I used to carry an empty suit case when I'd fly into OHara Airport... I fly home with it full of Pizzas in dry ice. An airline hoistess was on a couple ot my flights... she thought that I was a medical worker... I asked why... she thought I was carrying organs for transplant. I wouldn't be able to get on an airplane with them now.

You can feed a bunch of people with one of those pizzas. We'd feed the whole crew... we got more work done over stuffed pizza than we ever did in the lab.

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Illinois and I wouldn't spend time in Chicago without an armed guard. Actually they don't observe the 2nd Amendment for citizens, preferring to let the gangbangers have all the guns. And I'd have lost my mind if you found me tooling around in my TC on Michigan Ave.

Has anyone mentioned that they sold the rights to parking meters to some sketchy outfit that jacked the rates and sent back some walking around money to the pols. Woe unto you if you get a parking ticket.

OTOH you may make it unscathed. Not likely, but stranger things have happened. If you get through OK then you should try Detroit. Now that's the big leagues.

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Look into Illinois Beach State Park up by Waukegan. We didnt camp there as the campground was closed due to flooding, two years ago, but the campground looked REALLY nice. So was the day use areas along the beaches of Lake M. Our plan was to stay up there and use public transportation into Chicago each day and hit the museums and the great restaurants. We were forced to stay in a hotel for the five days we were there but IBSP could work. Public transportation in Chicago is great; no need to drive.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Americamper wrote:
Thanks for the advice Sleepy. Is it because that is the"Bad" side of town or just conjested?

I hate to put labels... but BAD

... and all of Chicago is always congested and under construction.

I went up for a R&D 100 award ceramony in 1993. We drove in along lake Michigan... stopped at the Feild Museum (very nice) so that we'd know how to get back. Janet was driving.. she paniced when she ended up in a turn lane off the interstate highway... I wanted her to force her way back into the interstate traffic... she turned in to South Chicago not far from the Univ of Chicago... and then we got 4 blocks deep... masses of people in the narrow streets, pounding on the car. I put my foot on top of hers to keep us crawling for another block and turned the wheel from the passenger seat.

By the late 90's it was worse.

If you can get as far north as the Lincoln Park Zoo area it gets better...

So... get some good, up to date info before you go.

Just from memory... If I needed to go back for a few days I would consider staying on the North side... maybe at a Hampton Inn... their parking area would be safe. I'd park my camper, use the room for showers, etc... and probably sleep in my camper.

Good luck... take pictures and post your recommendations when you finish your trip.

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice Sleepy. Is it because that is the"Bad" side of town or just conjested?
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC