cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking TC in Chicago?

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of parking spaces in Chicago that A TC would fit in? Preferably close to the Willis tower. Also where would be the nearest campground to the center of town.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
30 REPLIES 30

jroddick
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
jroddick wrote:
I would be very careful where you park in the Chicago area. The towing companies are a bunch of pirates.
-- snip --

To wit ...

Ha! Good one. S&S Towing is in Melrose Park midway between Glendale Heights and Lincoln Park. They can only legally tow you to a storage yard 10 air miles away.
Jeffrey

" If you don't think too good..... don't think too much"

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of Steve Goodman too. Lincoln Park Towing is still in business, sadly, Steve passed away, and still the Cubs haven't won a WS since 1908 and haven't been to one since 1945.

Way, way, tow them away...

But Glendale Heights is certainly not Chicago.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
jroddick wrote:
I would be very careful where you park in the Chicago area. The towing companies are a bunch of pirates.
-- snip --

To wit ...
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

jroddick
Explorer
Explorer
I would be very careful where you park in the Chicago area. The towing companies are a bunch of pirates. I stopped for a bite to eat in Glendale Heights a couple years ago in my big rig at a shopping center where we have stopped for many years. S&S Towing broke into my new Freightliner Cascadia and drove it away, almost running me down in the process. It took a $50 cab ride and $700 to get my truck back. It nearly ended in violence. The Illinois Commerce Commision Police eventually forced them to pay it all back. I had a couple of million dollars worth of CT scanners in the trailer. It still pisses me off. I have an extensive file on the stooges who ripped off my truck as well as the Sicilians who own the property they operate on. The owner of the towing company was shot and critically wounded by a towing victim a few years ago. I'm not surprised.
Jeffrey

" If you don't think too good..... don't think too much"

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue Bee wrote:

Indiana Dunes is close (50 miles east) to the city, there is the South Shore train stop right at the park entrance, it is about 1 1/4 hours from Dune Park stop to Millenium station, it also stops at the museum campus.

I completely agree with Sue Bee. The Indiana Dunes can be beautiful and its not too far to Chicago. I know I was a bit harsh in an earlier post - but unless you live in Downstate its a little hard to understand the profound resentment that is felt towards Chicago. And if you have been the unwitting victim of a flash mob of "youths" on Michigan Ave., as one of our friends was, you'll know why people avoid Chicago.

Choose good weather - not hot weather - for your trip. Stay away from the south side and the west side - they're as dangerous as Baghdad. Feel comfortable inside the Chicago Art Institute, one of the best museums in the world as well as the Field Museum. Get back to the Dunes before nightfall.

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is coming from the south, so campgrounds south of the city are the best bet.

Indiana Dunes is close (50 miles east) to the city, there is the South Shore train stop right at the park entrance, it is about 1 1/4 hours from Dune Park stop to Millenium station, it also stops at the museum campus.

Plus, the Dunes is worth a day or two of exploration there, beautiful beach, trails, etc.

From Millenium station, it is exactly a 1 mile walk or less than 2 mile cab to Willis (Sears) Tower.

Navy Pier is less than two miles to Millenium Station.

Wendella Boats offers really cool tours of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan (sunset tours, architecture tours, fireworks tours, etc)

Here is a tip, if you take a cab back to Millenium, tell them to drop you off short of the station so that the panhandlers don't harrass you as you get out of the cab.

If you are interested in the Museum Campus, the City Pass is a really good deal, and it also gives you admission to the Skydeck at the Willis.

As others have mentioned, driving a truck in parts of Chicago is prohibited, parking is just about impossible and super expensive when you find it, and traffic can be just about gridlock, especially on weekends, during the Taste, and when there are ballgames at either US Cellular or Wrigley.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
RVs and trucks are prohibited on Lake Shore Drive.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
ILL traveler, I am a bit confused. You say to avoid Lakeshore drive but according to the map , Highway 41 is Lakeshore drive. So if I'm coming down Highway 41 and take the 31 st. exit, it looks like I would be coming off Lakeshore drive. However I would be coming in from the south anyway and could stay away from Lakeshore I suppose.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

ILLTravler
Explorer
Explorer
RV parking
Depending on when you will be visiting, plenty of harbors/ parks along lake front with parking. ei.. Montrose harbor
martin campground
Not much of a campground, just a place to sleep. easy access to I-80 southwest of town. (close to nascar track)
11 Chevy 3500 long bed EXT CAB 6.6 4X4
2005 Host 8.6 Bachelor SS TC
97 BRYANT BOAT

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Rode Rt.41 from Indiana through the city up to WI back in 86 I think. Had a Chevy C-30 crew cab srw and a 10'tc. Closed my eyes for the low bridges, saw many amazing things south of the Loop, most want to forget about, but the memories linger........I learned where Mueller Indiana is, don't go there.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
stickbowjoe wrote:
"Thanks RC...." Joe

lol, forced edit it appears. Sad.

No thanks needed Joe, but you're welcome just the same.

Yep, some folks are just a bit uptight and can't see anything other than the way they 'think' it should be. So it goes.

I've have been to many a dinner party, and for that matter, been involved in lot's and lot's of forum threads, both started and butting in. The conversations that evolve, well, they do just that; they evolve. What do people think? reading 4 pages of the same answers and ideas is interesting? FFS, shoot me then.

Still want to visit Chicago, driving or flying. Wouldn't hesitate to drive there. Hey OP, take pitures!
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
bfast54 wrote:
Here is what I do, when going to chicago for sight seeing....Park truck at Airport,in South Bend, Ride South shore Railroad in,do my thing ,ride back...

I have driven the Dan Ryan, and all the others Hauling Trailers for Delievery in Wisc,and Minn....You just drive with a Heads Up attitude...like you always should, and,drive Many blocks ahead looking..do not drive during rush hour.

You want interesting...drive around Toronto....or Harrisburg,.......D.C..........

Just remember that Rush hour starts at 00:00 and ends at 24:00 ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜›
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I do, when going to chicago for sight seeing....Park truck at Airport,in South Bend, Ride South shore Railroad in,do my thing ,ride back...

I have driven the Dan Ryan, and all the others Hauling Trailers for Delievery in Wisc,and Minn....You just drive with a Heads Up attitude...like you always should, and,drive Many blocks ahead looking..do not drive during rush hour.

You want interesting...drive around Toronto....or Harrisburg,.......D.C..........
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
stickbowjoe wrote:
I am STUNNED to hear that Chicago is not safe.

I was under the impression that most privately-held guns were illegal there, so I assumed it was a peaceful, brotherly-loving paradise.

Huh. ๐Ÿ™‚

Joe

Nothing silly there; I think Mr. Joe is just pointing out the obvious to those that need a little help seeing a big picture. Kinda like mood lighting: it doesn't detract from the main picture and focus, but it highlights the issue fairly well. Good old conversation.

Call it enlightenment. Call it a detour focus session. Call it sarcastic instruction. But don't ever call a Constitutional right 'silly'.

Wife and I have been trying to get to Chicago for years. Lot to see there. Sounds like some savvy advice in this thread too.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!