cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pass through window use?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you really use the TC pass-through window into your truck?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
34 REPLIES 34

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Only good for kids/dog to crawl thru
OR to YELL at them
"SETTLED DOWN-DON'T MAKE ME PULL THIS RIG OVER!!!"

Just as I mentioned before: Communication. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It isn't illegal to have passengers in the camper while traveling where you are from?

Not only do we not use the window but the drape is always drawn. We wouldn't miss it if we didn't have there at all.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one on every truck I've owned, the current one is electric in the crew cab, I've used it with the sun roof open but I'm thinking a rear window defroster would be a better use and it's a solid window so next truck it's gone.

Rockrash
Explorer
Explorer
Dog goes in the camper while driving, truck while camping.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago before extended cabs were in use (60's) they were reachable by the driver and it was common to have riders in the camper.
Spent many a mile both as driver and rider back in the days. Now my camper has one ( standard) but my ext cab truck does not.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Because I keep my camper on most of the time I use my pass through window when going to get some long items like 2X4's or PVC pipe, etc..
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the TC side, I use it a lot to pull air into the camper, especially when it's raining. Also use it every night as my low point for natural draft through the roof vent slightly cracked. Never had a moisture problem at night this way.

On the truck side, it just happened to come as an option on the truck. Found out I like to use it in the summer time to get a good draft through the cab when running empty.

With the combo, the best reason I've found is to run a power coord from the TC mounted inverter into the cab to power my laptop.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, when we were young and didn't have a care we let people ride in the truck camper.

We had an inflatable airbag, I don't know what else to call it, that went between the truck and camper. Stopped wind rain etc.

We would pass food through and on occasion the skinny of us would trade spots, truck back seat and camper, LOL

Now we know better, I am not sure what you would use it for. Heat transfer maybe? Or air conditioning.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
OR to YELL at them

Just as I mentioned before: Communication. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
OR to YELL at them
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

HarryBB
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't be without it and the boot I use. Dog sleeps in the "basement" (IE: Platform built on the back seat in the crewcab.) She considers the truck cab her domain when we are "camped".
'03 F350 CC 6.0PSD DRW Firestone Bags Superhitch
2003 Lance 1121 Fully Loaded incl. Solar
'94 Grand Touring SkiDoo, '95 Touring SLE SkiDoo
16 ft Northwood Troller
Crestliner Serenity 1800

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't use it for access to the truck...but it is a great source of ventilation...especially for the dog.
Open the slider (ours has a screen), turn on the FF and there is a nice cool breeze blowing through the whole camper...

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our trucks has a pass through, we have only used it once when Dang Dawg jumped on the door switch. DW got a nearby skinny kid to crawl through and open the door after I popped the window open with a screw driver (far too easy).

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had pass-thru windows on both our campers and love having the feature for the following reasons:

- Yes, upon occasion, my aging bones have been squeezed thru the tiny pass-thru window to retrieve something from the truck. Also, when the lock failed on our camperโ€™s door, all four of us still gained access to the camper by climbing thru the pass-thru window, so we could eat lunch.

- When first pulling away from home or campsite, having the pass-thru window has saved us, because since we can then hear sounds in the camper, weโ€™ve been alerted to an open window, or a door/drawer left unsecured. So, the pass-thru also serves as my my built-in airhead protection!

- During periodic stops along the road, it's been nice being able to pass food, drink or clothing between the truck and camper.

For our family, we enjoy having the window. Note: we use a foam boot at the pass-thru and recommend the product.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I am no longer a TC owner, but am curious. If no one uses the pass through window, what was the window designed for?

I had always thought it was for communication between any passengers in the TC and the truck.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use mine at all.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver