cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pass through window use?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you really use the TC pass-through window into your truck?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
34 REPLIES 34

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs use the cab to keep an eye on things in warm weather and sleep up there also. Winter it stays closed so we have to deal with two dogs either underfoot or taking up space on the bed. Not small dogs either, 60 and 50 pounds.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used it for our cats. They could travel with us or decide they wanted peace and quiet. The most important reason has already been mentioned. When it is very cold or very hot outside, the pass through window done a lot to achieve a reasonable temperature in the camper. Also I like to leave the doors open for visibility. The sliding glass on the truck has a very dark tint. I have a Fresnel lens on the back of the camper and like to watch the traffic behind me.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
....vapor lock.... :B
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

tbltony
Explorer
Explorer
we use the pass through for the cat .we keep the litter box in the cab and the cat usually only uses it at night .she gets a vapor lock when we are traveling down the road .

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs used it and often without my permission. They liked it a lot.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My current '03 Dodge I bought new came with the sliding back glass and never has been used other than my cleaning it. Same with the two trucks before it and the wifes current 1500 crew cab chevy.
However the last std cab truck I had it was used constantly opening and closing it for faster cooling or heating and fog and ice removal.
The pass through windows were the rage many years ago with TC's and the pass through boot. We had one. Will not again.

If I ever order a truck it wouldn't come with it.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Use mine for the visibility while driving to include backing a trailer. Also use it for ventilation while camping. Do not have the matching slider on the truck. The window only opens wide enough for an arm to go thru and thats after you take out the screen!
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Upon demand, DW passes thru donuts to me while I drive...

(Upon edit, I sure hope she doesn't see this!)

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
My camper has a window in that location but it is a one piece and does not open. I still like it as in my truck and camper I can still see from the center mount mirror through the camper and out the back door. Our camper does not have a slide so no interference from it. We also have one of those stick on fish eye setups on the camper door window. I would like it to operate for air flow down low but then I hear of problems with them leaking while driving in rain.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Only good for kids/dog to crawl thru
OR to YELL at them
"SETTLED DOWN-DON'T MAKE ME PULL THIS RIG OVER!!!"

Just as I mentioned before: Communication. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It isn't illegal to have passengers in the camper while traveling where you are from?

Not only do we not use the window but the drape is always drawn. We wouldn't miss it if we didn't have there at all.

Things were different.......kids rode in cabovers, in the bed of truck, no body worn seat belts, helmets were for football not motorcycles, Red Ryder BB gun was the ultimate Christmas present, kids ran with scissors and we drank from the garden hose.

Hey...in CA passengers can ride in 5th wheels and campers If passenger can communicate with driver, and exit can be opened from both interior and exterior.

I would bet majority of states allow passengers riding in campers (truck campers......restriction on travel trailers and 5th wheels)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

run100
Explorer
Explorer
oilslick wrote:
I'm thinking a rear window defroster would be a better use and it's a solid window so next truck it's gone.

We have an electric rear slider and it has a defroster too. The defroster takes care of the rear window and mirrors. Works great.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use it to clean the rear window of the truck while the tc is on (90% of the time).
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip to Alaska, our camper was a topper. One time we got locked out of the topper. DW reached from the cab through the sliding window and opened one of the topper side windows. I reached through the side window and opened the topper lock from the inside.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use the combo much but it is nice to have.

Separately, as many have said, ventilation.

If you use a foam or inflated seal you can actually cool the camper with the cab AC.

When we are camped more than overnight we use the truck cab for extra storage to get it out of the camper, like rain gear and heavy coats, both nice to retrieve without getting out.

I have never used it but I made an emergency jumper cable to go from the truck 12v plug (cig lighter) to the camper in case we run the battery dead, it can be used to recharge camper battery from the truck if the converter dies or to pump water and have some lights if necessary.