cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Pipe in Generator Compartment - Can I Use?

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Northern-Lite with a compartment for an optional propane generator. My camper does not have the generator, however there is a stub out pipe to connect one. My question is: can I adapt that to run an extension hose to power a Bar B Q and/or a propane fire pit? If so, what do I need?

I am tired of messing with little propane bottles!
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo
7 REPLIES 7

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I did to my Bigfoot that was generator ready and had a propane line stub in. I attached a 90 degree gas on/off valve and then I got all of my parts from Magma Grills. I got the Magma Kettle 2, which comes with the 1 lbs. propane bottle valve. I purchased from them a hose extension to go from my 90 degree gas on/off valve to the Kettle and it connects to a low pressure valve made for pre-regulated propane (propane that is already regulated at the tank(s). This low output valve I purchased from Magma as well. I also purchased from Magma Grills a side bulkhead flat mount that I mounted to the rear Torklift tie down. When we get to camp I mount the grill to the right side of the truck rear tie down and the propane hose is right in the generator compartment next to the tie down.

Here are the model numbers from Magma Grills:

Kettle 2 A-10-217CE-2
Type 3 Low Output LPG valve A-10-220CE
Side, Bulkhead Flat mount A-10-240
Happy TC'N,
David

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along the same line, I installed a 3/8" cross where the factory had a tee. This was after the regulator. I installed a 3/8" propane ball valve to shut off, then had a 15' hose made with swivels on both ends. I removed the regulator from my Weber and it works fine. I was talked out of quick couplers by the propane company that made my hose. My Little Red portable fire pit will not work with this set up.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
actually its not 10-11PSI, its 10-11 inches of water column. much less pressure than PSI.

in order to use that stub for a grill, you will need a grill that does not have a regulator on it (as in its already setup for 10-11" WC).

I messed with this idea for a long time. finally ended up just using the small bottles to run my baby Q. This way I did not have to "gut" the regulator and I can still use it away from my RV.

There is an T adapter they sell that goes on the big bottle before the RV hooks up. this T has small hose that goes to gas grill with same fittings as a small bottle. But it was over $50.00. that buy a lot of small bottles.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
Out of the box, no, neither. Here's why--

That propane line is already regulated down to 10-12lbs psi. Any BBQ or firepit you get has a regulator built onto the propane connection. It will not work, because 10-12psi is basically an empty tank to a regulator.
You will need to either get specifically an RV-Q for a bbq, or remove the regulators from whatever you buy and make a custom connections. Make sure when you're shopping for a bbq you get one with the regulator on the hose so you can remove it.
b
There are bbqs made without the built in regulator. Our AF came with a valves connection for this purpose as do many others.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted. Wrong post.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Out of the box, no, neither. Here's why--

That propane line is already regulated down to 10-12lbs psi. Any BBQ or firepit you get has a regulator built onto the propane connection. It will not work, because 10-12psi is basically an empty tank to a regulator.
You will need to either get specifically an RV-Q for a bbq, or remove the regulators from whatever you buy and make a custom connections. Make sure when you're shopping for a bbq you get one with the regulator on the hose so you can remove it.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing special about the generator propane hookup. You should be able to use it for whatever you want.

I recently built a propane fire pit for my deck and also installed a couple of propane torches (easyfirepits.com has all the odds & ends). They are pretty cool and are a great evening effect. However, they also suck down the propane like crazy. I have a 25 gallon propane tank that I have refilled three times in the past month.

Thus, I recommend to you... Go ahead and use the camper propane for a gas BBQ. Get a separate propane tank for the fire pit. That way if/when the fire pit consumes all your propane, you still have the camper's propane to run the stove & fridge. It would really suck to be out dry camping, see the fire pit go dim, and realize you just shut off your fridge.

Thanks,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,