cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quad Bunkhouse TT w/ No Slide

notamos
Explorer
Explorer
My family is running into a brick wall in our search for a TT. We have 4 kids under 7 and my wife/me. We are looking for 4 bunks, something where we don't have to use the couch/table for beds and no slide (preferably).

We are towing with a Ford Expedition EL, 4WD, etc. Probably 6500lbs max.

The only thing I've found so far that comes close is a Prowler Lynx 30 LX. It would be perfect if it didn't have the slide.

Thoughts?
31 REPLIES 31

notamos
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone subscribed to this & is wondering what happened, I thought I would provide an update.

We ended up purchasing an Outdoors RV 26F. It has a double bed in the rear with a single bunk over it. This winter, I'm going to convert the single bunk to a double - matching the one beneath it. Then, the kids can double up in the double bunks!

We're really happy with it so far. It seems like a VERY durable unit and roomy enough for our family. We've been adding/modifying since it was delivered a few weeks back! It has only been out for 2 nights so far. We boondocked & everyone had a GREAT time.

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
PM sent

Good Luck in your search

pbensen
Explorer
Explorer
I see that you are located in Colorado; I am thinking that you are going to work your truck pretty hard around your parts pulling this trailer. You do have more power with your 5.4L 3v versus my 5.4L 2v, you also have a 6-speed transmission which is a BIG improvement over the 4-speed on our van. It sure would be nice to be able to take the rig for a test spin before you purchase it. You could always find a #7000 trailer locally to tow around to see how it pulls. Just be aware that there will be a night and day difference pulling with a Hensley Arrow versus a standard equalizer type hitch especially with your ½ ton vehicle. With this test you will be most interested in how well the engine and transmission works pulling the rig over the mountains not how well it handles the road and wind. With all this said I would not pull this trailer with your rig without a Hensley Arrow, Pullrite or Propride style hitch.

I did find a 2003 Jayco 324G trailer for sale, it is in Canada but it might be worth your drive. http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-2003-Jayco-Quest-M-324-G-Travel-Trailer-or-Park-Model-w-Bunks-W0QQAdIdZ476270594

You can see that they list the trailer weight at #5380. I can tell you that our trailer tipped the scales at ~#7200 with the tanks pretty much dry. We were on a one month vacation going out west and we were very loaded down with provisions. I ended up weighing the rig at a truck scale and found that we were #200 over our rear axle weight rating. I ended up moving everything I could out of the van back to the trailer. You need to pay attention to the tongue weight of the trailer because this weight goes right onto the real axle. This is the “Achilles” heel of your truck. The Hensley Arrow adds to this weight but is well worth it. I ended up exchanging the #1000 load leveling bars that the previous owner had with #1400 bars. This moved more weight to the front axle and back to the trailer. I believe that you have an air bag rear suspension that will help you out with keeping your rig level but it does nothing for your rear axle weight. Keep this in mind with whatever trailer you purchase.
2002 Jayco 324G 33ft quad bunk 7200# max loaded (long trip)
2001 Econoline E-150 Traveler 5.4L w/3.73:1 rear gears
Hensley Arrow hitch and Brakesmart brake contoller

pbensen
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, we were in the same situation that you are seven years ago. This is your lucky day; I know just the trailer that you are looking for. You want a 2002-2003 Jayco model 326G. It is 33' long, has quad bunks, a small slide in the middle and weighs ~5500# dry. We purchased ours and never looked back. I camp with my wife and our three kids; they are now 16, 14 and 12. We have camped with 8-10 people in a pinch. It is very comfortable for our family of 5. We now take friends of our kids with us from time to time. We have not had any big problems with our trailer that I could not handle myself. I just replaced the tires on it last year. I did have to go through the brakes and brake wiring, the wiring caused all the problems. Take it from me, if you do get a trailer like ours purchase a Hensley Arrow hitch used before you even start looking for the trailer. This trailer pushed our 1/2 ton Ford Econoline van all over the place before I installed the Hensley Arrow. Now it pulls like a dream, this rig is so stable now that I let my wife drive while I sleep! As long as you don't intend to pull it through the mountains on a regular basis you will be just fine. We live in Michigan which is a pretty flat state. I have had it through the Rockies a couple of times. The van handling was perfect but the engine had a work out. I did change the rear axle gear ratio to a 3.73:1 from a 3.50:1. Our van responded very nicely to that little change. The van is happy pulling the trailer in Michigan at 68-70MPH in overdrive now. One last thing, purchase a good hydraulic based electronic brake controller. They are a bit more expensive but are worth the extra price in the long run. Hope this helps.
2002 Jayco 324G 33ft quad bunk 7200# max loaded (long trip)
2001 Econoline E-150 Traveler 5.4L w/3.73:1 rear gears
Hensley Arrow hitch and Brakesmart brake contoller

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 26' Attitude TH that has two queen beds in the rear and one up front with no slides. We can also use the couch and dinette for additional bed space. We easily sleep 6 adults with only the beds and have plenty of room to move around.
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
perhaps the 2 youngest can sleep together...or throw one on the dinette.
be sure to click on the interior pics to see the stacked beds.

Lance 2185

BUFFALODAN
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/XLite/default.aspx?model=xlite&page=floorplandetails&fl...
2006 KZ Frontier 2505
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4WD
[purple]1 DW
3DD's[/purple]

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Although our desires were not a extensive as yours, one of the things I wasnted was not to have to use the table as a bed. I only have 2 kids so that was easy to do. Like some one said. I would not discount a model with a double bunk. And then when the kids get older they get to experience the joys of haveing there own room called a spring bar tent.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

notamos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the thoughs/opinions so far - they are helping me a bunch. I think I've found a good middle ground. I found something durable, no slides and with two double-size bunks. More to come!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
notamos wrote:
-leaks

As most have said, shouldn't be much of a concern these days. Just make sure the TT is level, side to side (front to back too).

notamos wrote:

-weaker frame (we will be taking this on some rough roads and I worry about it flexing, like logging roads...)

Do your research on manufacturers and don't only get caught up in settling because of a floor plan. Don't get me wrong, floor plan is important, just don't settle on a RV that could be bad just to get that specific floor plan. Go to a RV show and do a pretend "live in" while viewing many, many models.

notamos wrote:
-some places we take it will not have the width to open it

The TT length will probably be more of a hindrance for this concern.

notamos wrote:
-maintenance

Probably more setup issues to be concerned with than maintenance issues:
  • level TT
  • Clean slide roof before bringing in
  • make sure nothing is binding inside TT when extending/bringing in
  • make sure slide properly seals when bringing in
  • check wiper seal when out
  • check for clearance before extending out

But this is all basic stuff and will become fairly routine.

notamos wrote:
-not being able to close it if it were to break while we are in the middle of no-where in CO.

You would be surprised how helpful other RV'rs are in a "crisis", most are more than willing to lend a hand. But you are right, it could present an issue but most likely will not happen.

notamos wrote:
As for our Exp, it is a 2012 w/ the 5.4 and the HD towing package.

With your growing family, you should make sure of your payload limits in respect to loaded TV weights.
I love me some land yachting

coolestdude
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a S313BHS Shadow Cruiser. It has a quad BH, We have four grand kids and they love it. It has it's own television spot,drawers,closet shoot everything you need for kids. It does have two slides and with four kids you need all the room you can get.I have had no issues with the slides, the work great. Empty wt is 6,385 need a lot of TV!
Keep looking you will find the right one for your family.

Happy Trails!

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone Bullet 286QBS. The weight is much lower(5196 dry) for 1/2 ton towable, has quad bunks, and is fully usable with slides in(at least my 2009 295BHS is). Much of the weight savings is due to aluminum framing instead of heavier wood among other things. I feel these are solidly built units. Might be worth a look.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

APT
Explorer
Explorer
notamos wrote:
The more research we put into this, the harder it is. We want something with quad bunks and something that is built tough (Northwood, Outdoor RV, etc.). Problem is, aside from the Outdoor 31kqbs, they don't have anything with 4 bunks.

I think you will not find much built that sturdy with quad bunks that can be towed by a half ton SUV. Actually, few families camp in that style. 30'+ bunk houses plus 18' TV are not easy to maneuver.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
notamos wrote:
Well, after quite a bit of reading, I think I will have to live with a slide. So be it. At least that gives me some options.

Try to pick a TT that you can use with the slide in, and you won't have to give up some of your favorite spots, You will have the best of both worlds
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers