cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about the older diesel's

RR24
Explorer
Explorer
My question about the older diesel's is mainly the 5.9 dodge and the ford 7.3, these are a lot louder than the newer diesel. Is there anyway to make them quieter without hurting performance. I mean the dodge sounds like a john deer tractor;)
2008 Ford F250 4x4 CC V10
2005 Jazz 5th wheel 2760RL
57 REPLIES 57

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lawdawg21 wrote:

I agree that's why I was looking at one of these for my first diesel, but when your behind in the drive through you cant even here to order LOL:D

I have to turn my 7.3 off in the drive through... But one small inconvenience for the best motor ever made.

X2

I do the same with my 5.9, I consider it rude not to.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lawdawg21
Explorer
Explorer

I agree that's why I was looking at one of these for my first diesel, but when your behind in the drive through you cant even here to order LOL:D

I have to turn my 7.3 off in the drive through... But one small inconvenience for the best motor ever made.

RR24
Explorer
Explorer
cwboyscooby wrote:
The two best diesels ever built... you get used to the sound and learn to love it.

You can quiet them down a bit by running a good synthetic, but not really noticeable. It's the injectors that are so noisy.

2008 Ford F250 4x4 CC V10
2005 Jazz 5th wheel 2760RL

cwboyscooby
Explorer
Explorer
The two best diesels ever built... you get used to the sound and learn to love it.

You can quiet them down a bit by running a good synthetic, but not really noticeable. It's the injectors that are so noisy.

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
You know when a Cummins is coming down the road...

Ford has its own sound too but not as distinct.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well for the 5.9 up until 2003, one word Mechanical Injection Pump and Mechanical injectors! This is also known as the Big Bang theory!
The noise is about 50/50 between the two, once warm they quiet down a little.

Once common rail and electronic injectors came along, things got quiet in a hurry. I test drove a 2010 Ram/Cummins and if I hadn't popped the hood first I would have sworn it was a gasser!
I can replace my entire fuel system for about $2,100, that is Injection pump, six new injectors and new lift pump (low pressure fuel pump).

PS: (on edit) I bought mine used, but got the build sheet from Chrysler, mine has the extra sound deading package. Still a little noisy in the cab.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Earplugs?
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man, I have been searching for a way to quiet my 7.3 for years. Without adding soundproofing to the cab I think you are SOL. Good thing is all of that noise has given me over 300K miles of relatively pain free service.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Can only speak for 5.9 Yes, it is loud. Have 2001 and might have to upgrade when the time comes. But hasn't failed me yet. Most bullet proof engine out there I believe. So I'll put up with noise. Have thought about insulation on firewall or something but haven't done it yet since owning from 2005. I just turn up the tunes.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I have a buddy that owned an older 5.9 dually. He swore when he changed to Amsoil synthetic oil, his engine got quieter.
They are really loud when compared to the newer diesels.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had both of those engines, AH the good old diesels , they sure screwed up trying to improve them.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
No and no.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
That sound is pure beauty to some. Many guys are trying to find ways to make the new (whisper) diesels sound more like....well, like a diesel.

Go figure.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro