cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio recommendation?

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2006 GMC 2500HD diesel I have an AM/FM/CD player radio. I like to listen to music or audio books on long drives, but the CD player skips so badly on a moderately rough road as to be un-listenable. Maybe the truck rides rough, or maybe the CD player is worn out, I don't know. I've asked at the local Best Buy, and of course am told that all their new radios work just fine on rough roads. I'd listen to the advice of someone who has solved the same problem. Certainly some company builds a CD player designed to play under rough conditions. What brands/models of radio/CD players have continued to work for you even when the road is bumpy? Thanks. Tom McCloud
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5
18 REPLIES 18

CanadianVikingY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who contributed to this topic, I am in the middle of deciding on a replacement for the OEM stereo in my 2003 GMC 2500HD and I’ll use some of the information shared here to make the decision.

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
I am the OP for this thread, so here's the follow-up. Thanks to all for the feedback to my question about a new radio for the pickup truck. I read all the responses and took them into consideration. The response from ScottG, which would undoubtedly give a teriffic sound system when installed, reminds me of the guy who puts a $500 saddle on a $50 horse, or in this case a 12 year old truck. Too much for me. Since I live within a reasonable driving distance of Crutchfield, I read information on their web pages, talked with them twice by phone, then drove to Charlottesville, selected a Sony WX-920BT, and had them install it. My impression was that they knew what they were doing at Crutchfield. I even gave the guy an opportunity to up-sell me, and he didn't take the bait. Soon thereafter I drove >1,000 miles to Arkansas, so had plenty of time to try out the new radio. It definitely picks up weak FM stations better than the Eclipse it replaced, and I was impressed how well a music CD continued to play without skipping from bumps on some pretty bad interstate highways. I now have the ability to play music or audio books from a memory stick. The radio instantly picks up and plays a CD or when a memory stick is inserted, but it took me a long time to figure out that you have to push the SRC button 6 times to get back to FM. I haven't figured out all the functions of the radio, and the owners manual is useless. The receiver has many features I will never use. So as it stands, I'm pleased with the new radio.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Features like Nav, car play , dvd , HD radio, ability to stream, Bluetooth, more power, voice text, pre-amp outs, ability to hook into steering wheel controls.
Nice speaker and sub setup though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
@lawrosa, fwiw, OE headunits are about the least desirebale option for cost vs features of any option out there.

Like what features? I have all the features in my 2006 head unit I need as well as anyone else would need.

All in the factory look..

I have the 6 pin aux plug in back for sat radio... Dont need it, dont want it. Just an overpriced subscription...

The OP has trouble with the CD part of his radio. My suggestion was to get blue tooth of a jack added to the head unit. Keeps a clean look...

Aftermarkets look like **** with multicolor displays and such.

I have considered it, dont get me wrong. But the only one I would consider is the sony 100... I like having a dial. And I dont use CD's This would be the cleanest one I would even entertain.

But its a novelty having carplay and such.

I dont text and drive,
I dont talk and drive

While I am driving all communications can wait until I get to my stop.

So I just did new kicker CS speakers, 4x6 rear, 6 3/4 fronts

And a kicker sub under seat in rear... The system cranks with factory head unit...

Youll go deaf listening to music any louder as its at my hearing limit .

This little licker 8" pack a punch man!!!

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@ScottG , I soo need to do that to the old Dodge! Nice job!
I need to ditch the c rappy OE speakers too. No time to take on a stereo project.....
@lawrosa, fwiw, OE headunits are about the least desirebale option for cost vs features of any option out there.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fish mojo wrote:
Or you could buy a new a Ram Truck.....
The new 2019 1500's are coming out with a 12" interface and Harman Kardon audio with 900 watts and 19 speakers. Coming to Ram HD soon.

Or sit in the parking lot to listen to CDs.........
That response was about as on topic and helpful as the one above it!

To the OP any new Head unit you buy will be fine on rough roads. 2nd Crutchfield if you’re installing it yourself.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
I finally bit the bullet and put a new Kenwood unit in my 2004 GMC. Now I have in dash GPS, USB phone connectivity and back up camera (and camera hookup for TC). Just take a big breath when you first see the installed cost.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Wardster wrote:
lawrosa wrote:
Dont make the truck look ugly... Get a factory head unit with blue tooth and the Jack...

Visited that website and it's never good when you claim a radio will fit in certain years' vehicle only to find out that it won't. They say that the remanufactured radio fits a 2005-2009 GM, but they are wrong. The radios were the same from 2003 - 2007 before they changed with the redesign of the trucks in 2007.5. I would never order anything from a vendor that makes this mistake.

LOL... You have to know what radio you have and get the same one or similar. I know GM radios. Its a double din design for 2006. I have a 2006 and know what fits..

The issue with after market is the door chime plays through the speakers and maintaining steering wheel controls.

Plus no aftermarkets lights match the dash..

Its ugly IMO..

Those GM radios put out like 17 watts factory. I upgraded my 4 speakers and put a small 8" sub under rear seat... Best sounding stereo I ever had.

All Kicker stuff.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Dont make the truck look ugly... Get a factory head unit with blue tooth and the Jack...

Visited that website and it's never good when you claim a radio will fit in certain years' vehicle only to find out that it won't. They say that the remanufactured radio fits a 2005-2009 GM, but they are wrong. The radios were the same from 2003 - 2007 before they changed with the redesign of the trucks in 2007.5. I would never order anything from a vendor that makes this mistake.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:

Listen to music through the phone...

Crutchfield supplies a faceplate that looks factory for most vehicles and their phone support is really good.

They even have electronic adapters that allow the steering wheel controls to work with their aftermarket head units.

Factory head units are pretty low end with poor FM sensitivity.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Notakwanon wrote:
In my 2006 GMC 2500HD diesel I have an AM/FM/CD player radio. I like to listen to music or audio books on long drives, but the CD player skips so badly on a moderately rough road as to be un-listenable. Maybe the truck rides rough, or maybe the CD player is worn out, I don't know. I've asked at the local Best Buy, and of course am told that all their new radios work just fine on rough roads. I'd listen to the advice of someone who has solved the same problem. Certainly some company builds a CD player designed to play under rough conditions. What brands/models of radio/CD players have continued to work for you even when the road is bumpy? Thanks. Tom McCloud

Listen to music through the phone...

http://www.1factoryradio.com/chevy-gmc-2005-2009-truck-am-fm-cd-radio-w-aux-input-bluetooth-music-15...

Mike L ... N.J.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
How much do you want to spend?
I was able to buy aftermarket dash parts to allow use of a full double DIN unit and basically end up with something like newer trucks have.
I couldn't be happier with the results!

Total cost was about $1100 with Pioneers best head unit. (It does EVERYTHING)

Boot up screen:

Nav.

I would imagine something similar is available for GM products.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Getting harder to find in after market radios (but in almost every new car) is Satellite radio. Not that handy around town but on long trips it's SO NICE to stay on the same station all the way across the country! Not going back here! I hate the add-on tuners that stick to your dash. The Pioneer that came in our Winnebago had the socket on the back for an XM tuner that integrates it into the radio's feature set. Almost impossible to find these radios now that Android seems to be the new standard.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could buy a new a Ram Truck.....
The new 2019 1500's are coming out with a 12" interface and Harman Kardon audio with 900 watts and 19 speakers. Coming to Ram HD soon.