cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 1500 towing...

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 CC with a 3.21 rear end and 8 speed trans. I am looking at a Toy Hauler with a dry weight of 4,700 lbs and a hitch weight of 670 lbs. I know my truck isn't a tow monster, but how bad will my truck struggle?

I bought this truck because I thought I was done with the whole RV scene, but I came across this little toy hauler and it looks like fun.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
27 REPLIES 27

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The struggle is the rear axle capacity and the passenger rated tires and rims on the 1500. If you can keep within those, the engine and transmission will do fine for that weight. Expect the tongue weight to be 15-17 percent of the gross trailer weight rating in real life, so take some weights and record some ratings and see where you end up.
Yep! Your rear axle capacity should be 3900 lbs, which should give you quite a bit of cushion over that meager payload capacity. Your factory hitch should be rated about 1100 lbs. Even those paltry P rated tires, if aired to max, should be more than enough for the max axle rating. Ram 1500s are softly sprung, so if you don't have air ride, you will get some sag, but it doesn't mean your truck is straining. Just the nature of the beast.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog - ahahahahaha no kidding 🙂

Bedlam
The struggle is the rear axle capacity and the passenger rated tires and rims on the 1500. If you can keep within those, the engine and transmission will do fine for that weight. Expect the tongue weight to be 15-17 percent of the gross trailer weight rating in real life, so take some weights and record some ratings and see where you end up.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm not familiar with Ram 1/2 tons, but even with the taller gearing, I'd expect more than 7,800 lbs towing, from a 5.7 hemi with 8-speed?? Payload 1200 lbs???...think my wife's little SUV (Escape) has a similar payload, and is the loaded Limited Edition.

If Grit says it will work, I'd go for it!!

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You’ll be fine , totally.
Only struggling will be the RV net weight cops struggling to admit it’s ok.
See a couple have showed up already. Expect 3 pages of bickering and OMGs by nightfall.... Pacific time.. lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I have a payload of 1200 lbs and max towing of 7,800"

So we are similar except I pull 5200 pounds with 1710 pounds of payload. Empty my TT is 3800...1400 pounds of "stuff" including an extra kitchen sink. Seriously, you will load a similar amount of stuff including water, batteries, propane. You'll run out of payload. It will squat badly IMO...mine went down 2 inches so I installed air bags...but I am not over payload as you will be.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
I have a payload of 1200 lbs and max towing of 7,800. Hemi V8, stock class IV hitch, not sure about the trans cooler. I will have to add trailer brakes to the truck though.

Bottom line is that with a measly payload of only 1200lbs, you're going to be very limited, ESPECIALLY for a toyhauler.
Second, having a hitch RECEIVER doesn't mean it has the factory tow package, which would include a trans cooler and pre-wiring for a brake controller.
Forget the Max towing number, with a payload of 1200lbs, you'd never even get close to 7800lbs.
Lastly, using fictional website/brochure dry weight numbers is a common newbie mistake. NO RV weighs that near those numbers, especially when loaded. With a bogus tongue weight of 670lbs, it could easily weigh 1000lbs with the toy and stuff in the trailer. Subtract 100lbs for the WDH, that leaves you 100lbs for the driver, passengers and stuff in the truck.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Youshould get a weight distribution hitch to help to level the truck out.
I doubt whether you will have any struggling. Your transmssion could search in some conditions.

I will definitely have a WD hitch and anti sway.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Youshould get a weight distribution hitch to help to level the truck out.
I doubt whether you will have any struggling. Your transmssion could search in some conditions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a payload of 1200 lbs and max towing of 7,800. Hemi V8, stock class IV hitch, not sure about the trans cooler. I will have to add trailer brakes to the truck though.

Struggle, as in will the back bumper hit the ground, transmission strain and over heat, will the tail wag the dog, that type of thing. This is my first half ton truck and have always towed with a Cummins or Duramax. Got tired of the diesel scene and went half ton. Absolutely love the truck! It tows my 3,500 lb MasterCraft just fine, but that's about half of what I plan on towing. Just because a truck is rated at X, it doesn't mean it will be fun or even safe towing that weight. This is the "struggle" I am having.

Thanks for your responses.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Toy haulers run a bit heavier on hitch weight...

Also, look at the door jamb and see if you can find the cargo capacity, don't know that...is it the v6, or the Hemi 5.7? Towing capacity can be a lot different also, depends on the trim level too.

Does the truck have the tow package? i.e. factory hitch (should tell you how much the hitch is rated for) and tranny cooler. Not required mind you, but you are talking 5500-6000 pounds after loading everything.

So I can't say it'll struggle, or tow just fine. You could have a tow capacity of 10k plus or 5000.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do you mean by “struggle”?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why did you leave out your RAM’s engine numbers, max trailer weight and payload? What is your estimated TH weight loaded and wet? 7k+?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad