cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 1500 V-6

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing a variety of RVs with a variety of trucks for the past 20 years. A couple of years ago we decided the economic picture indicated its time to pull the plug on our RV lifestyle so we sold the F-350 Diesel and 34' Silverback 5th wheel. Then we decided maybe we could kinda still do a little camping so we bought a Chev 2500 and used Travel trailer. That was a switch because we always had a 5th wheel but it worked just fine. Last year we decided we really have to quit so we sold out again and bought a 2014 Ram 1500 with a gas V-6 for my daily driver. The gas mileage is fantastic (I have done over 30mpg). Now we're thinking maybe we can just buy another older used travel trailer and at least use it to go visit my kids in another state and maybe one or two other shorter trips.
This truck was never intended by us to be used for towing but it comes equipped with a built-in brake controller and 7-pin trailer plug. It has an 8-speed transmission and 3.23 (I think....lowest one whatever that is)rear-end. The book says I should be able to pull 5,000 empty and 7,000 gross. The truck is what it is without any chance (or desire) to upgrade. Is there anybody out there that has any experience, or know of anybody else pulling any kind of a camper with this truck? Will this transmission hold up pulling a travel trailer?
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC
17 REPLIES 17

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
calliopeguy wrote:
Is there anybody out there that has any experience, or know of anybody else pulling any kind of a camper with this truck? Will this transmission hold up pulling a travel trailer?

Here is a link to a post on ramforumz.com regarding RAM 1500 V6 and about 4500lb TT:

Clicky Here....

I remembered that post as at the time we were also looking at one of the Minnie Winnie's.

I believe that user is also on rv.net as bigbird65.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

CT51
Explorer
Explorer
calliopeguy wrote:
I just checked my window sticker and my truck was ordered with the 3.55 rear end ratio. It is also 4wd.

CT51 - It looks like we have about the same truck. Do you know what the empty weight is of your truck?.....just curious.

I haven't weighed it, but the door sticker combined occupant/cargo weight is 1,592lbs. It is a two wheel drive, crew cab, Big Horn. Also has Premium Group. The cargo capacity is higher than I would have expected. Working backwards from a 6,800 GVWR, would give 5,208lbs. I had a quad cab with the Hemi, and it was right at 5,400lbs, so I guess the V6 is at least 200lbs lighter than the Hemi.

For all of you who have never driven the V6 with the 8sp, it is the smoothest shifting, quietest, highest gas mileage truck I have ever owned. The first time I floored it to pass on a two lane road, I was very surprised at how fast it accelerated. Not quite like the Hemi, but a lot faster than you'd expect for such a small engine.

CT51

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
There is one post that is in this thread that gave tow ratings, here is what I found....

Click Here

The other person said 7,500, this one said 7,050, but I did not know if you have a regular, extended or quad cab....and what bed side you have but they do not put quad cabs with V-6 engines, it seems like.

You have capacity, actually more than me. A little bit. If you look at my sig you can get an idea.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So much fail in this forum......from 30mpg pickups to only can tow a tent trailer with a brand new full size pickup.
Keep up the entertainment boys!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry it was Edmunds.Com.
Ford F-150 vs Ram 1500 | What's the Best Truck?: clicky
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of small travel trailers that you can tow. Autoguide.com tested the Ram Pentastar against the F150 with the 3.7L V6 a couple years ago. They towed a 25' airstream with each. It's on youtube.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The comment that the modern Ram pickup's 6 cylinder engine is no slant six with a 3 speed transmission, made me think about how far removed a modern power train is...compared to the old day power trains.

In our new car (2015 Impala),we have a similar engine...in design to the current Mopar V6. Our GM has 3.6 liters, DOHC V6...similar HP/Torque figures.

Through the combination of modern design, engineering, electronic engine management...I'm very impressed with how these modern engines, develop and maintain their HP/Torque figures throughout a very wide power band.

Couple that with a multi speed transmission and these modern, albeit small engines are truly impressive.

If I were in the marketplace for a full size pickup with moderate towing ability (my needs)...I wouldn't hesitate to seriously check out the Ram 1500, 4 door, 4WD. I'm specific on the equipment as I've considered these trucks for purchase.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Saying that all you can tow is a tent trailer is ridiculous. You don't have an old slant 6 with 3 speed, you have a 300 or so hp modern engine with 8 speeds. Yes, you don't have tons of low end torque but lots of gears to choose from and an engine with a broad powerband that can rev. Your truck will tow just as well at its rated capacity as a 3500 Cummins towing at its rated capacity.

This is one of the best posts I have read on this form!!!

Shopping for Travel Trailer

womps
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Saying that all you can tow is a tent trailer is ridiculous. You don't have an old slant 6 with 3 speed, you have a 300 or so hp modern engine with 8 speeds. Yes, you don't have tons of low end torque but lots of gears to choose from and an engine with a broad powerband that can rev. Your truck will tow just as well at its rated capacity as a 3500 Cummins towing at its rated capacity.

This is one of the best posts I have read on this form!!!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
bguy wrote:
Well I guess you won't be passing any EB, but you just might get a chance to go around an ED.

Your truck will be fine at anything up to the max capacity and probably beyond. Nice little engine. Bet it would be fun to let her scream up the hills.

They actually like to scream... I pulled monteagle Mountain with my Pentastar minivan and 2700 lbs of Pop up at about 3,000 RPM at 50 MPH...

That Pentastar is a great engine and will have no problem with the weight you are talking about. My pentastar is coupled to a 6 speed and does great. It would have no problem pulling 5,000 lbs plus.

Been talking to the DW about buying a pentastar Laramie ram with 3.55..should have close to 1500 lbs of payload and 7,000 lbs tow rating.

Should tow a light weight Apex TT without a problem.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess you won't be passing any EB, but you just might get a chance to go around an ED.

Your truck will be fine at anything up to the max capacity and probably beyond. Nice little engine. Bet it would be fun to let her scream up the hills.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my window sticker and my truck was ordered with the 3.55 rear end ratio. It is also 4wd.

CT51 - It looks like we have about the same truck. Do you know what the empty weight is of your truck?.....just curious.
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The ZF8HP45 transmission in your truck is rated for 370 lb ft torque, 100 more than your engine puts out. Shouldn't be an issue.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3