cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 2500 5.7 hemi mpg.....a bit disappointed

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
The other day we took a trip ftom southern illinois, through st louis, to southern Missouri...a couple of hundred miles each way.

Starting out I reset the mpg meter on the dash, and recorded 17.4-17.8 mpg driving at 62-65 mph going through st louis. Once we got out of town, I ran at 75 mph the rest of the way to our destination. The MPG continually dropped until it hit 14.3, which is where it stayed.

Going through southern Missouri is fairly hilly and the truck geared down quite often...more than expected.

On the return trip, I again reset the mpg meter and after about 30 miles at 75 mph, I was right back to 14.3 mpg.

A we approached st louis, we had to slow back down to 65 mph.....mpg came back up to 17.3 and we finished the trip at 17.6.

I never had a truck that would drop 3+ over a 10 mph range....surprising. we were totally unloaded in 2wd the whole trip. 

I am wondering how this compares with the 6.2 L engine in the same truck??????

I was kind of expecting about 3-5 mpg better from the 5.7 hemi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
6.4 Hemi, 4x4, 3.73, 6 Speed Auto
2016 Keystone Hideout 7500# Dry :B
52 REPLIES 52

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 4x4 Tundra has a 5.7. Not the same engine, but similar HP and torque. The Tundra is also quite a bit lighter than a 2500 Ram. Best I have ever gotten was 18 mpg going to the beach at about 68-70 mph unloaded. That was on flat ground, highway with minimal traffic. My RPM's never get above 1800 or so... but it takes a good amount of power to push a brick through the air that fast.

I average about 15, but that is with a lot of city-style driving. I might see 5-10 miles on the highway, but spend a light of time either speeding up or slowing down with all our traffic lights.

I think your numbers are pretty decent for a heavy truck and high speeds. Honestly the 6.4 might give better or equal mileage because of the weight of the truck. The 5.7 might need to wind up a little more to keep moving, whereas the 6.4 doesn't need to work quite as hard.

The 5.7 is a good engine and should last you a long while though. Think of how much $$$ you saved versus buying a diesel. That will buy a LOT of gasoline!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
zogg wrote:
I was right back to 14.3 mpg.

14 MPG with towing a 34' trailer? I'll take it :-). I have a AF 30U (very heavy) towing with a 2500 HD 8.1, I get 8 - 10 MPG depending on speed, wind, hill variables.

I don't think you will get much better no matter what you have.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another thing to keep in mind is winter blend fuel will not produce the same mileage as summer blend.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, I'm jealous. When I had my '06 Mega Cab, I never got over 14 regardless of how I drove it.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 6-spd auto and 4:10 rear. If I'm going down hill with a tail wind, a full moon and all of the stars are aligned I'm lucky to get 16.5 mpg @ 65 mph.

I chalk it up to that's what it takes to move a 3-1/2 ton truck.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
zogg wrote:
The other day we took a trip ftom southern illinois, through st louis, to southern Missouri...a couple of hundred miles each way.

Starting out I reset the mpg meter on the dash, and recorded 17.4-17.8 mpg driving at 62-65 mph going through st louis. Once we got out of town, I ran at 75 mph the rest of the way to our destination. The MPG continually dropped until it hit 14.3, which is where it stayed.

Going through southern Missouri is fairly hilly and the truck geared down quite often...more than expected.

On the return trip, I again reset the mpg meter and after about 30 miles at 75 mph, I was right back to 14.3 mpg.

A we approached st louis, we had to slow back down to 65 mph.....mpg came back up to 17.3 and we finished the trip at 17.6.

I never had a truck that would drop 3+ over a 10 mph range....surprising. we were totally unloaded in 2wd the whole trip. 

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 short bed with a 5.7L and I get right at 15 (14.9 to be exact)Highway. Now this is what the trip computer says. but if you figure the MPG by doing the math on what you put in the tank and miles driven it will be different. My Fuel Buddy App on my phone (which is great by the way) tells me this:

Overall city and hwy avg = 12.9mpg
and my cost per mile is= .179

If you are getting 17mpg you are doing really well.

If I drop down to 60 MPH I can increase the MPG to about 17 (NOT Towing)

So it seems that your mileage is about the same as mine. This is a BIG truck and its heavy and displaces a lot of air. You just cant move that for free. Also the big Hemi is not made for fuel economy. But its a great engine.

Look into that Fuel Buddy App its great. (and it is one of the few apps that does not want access to your phones/email contact list which is an important consideration when downloading free Apps)

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
zogg wrote:

What size tires you running?

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
75mph is tough to get good mpg with any vehicle. Also, LOTS of factors that could explain poor mpg on one trip. Wind would be the main one. Expecting 3-5 mpg better? Did you really expect 17-19mpg while going 75 in a HD gas truck?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you experienced MPG ranging from 14 - 17. What was the average for the entire trip? Was that from the computer readout, or hand calculated? Reason I ask is that I have two vehicles where the readout is just about dead on, and two that are off (in both directions).

Just curious where you came up with your expected numbers? Did you come from another HD truck, or is this your first?

As others have stated, MPH has a big effect on MPG. As a point of reference, the few trips that I have taken my truck unloaded on the highway, I get around 14 MPG cruising between 75 - 80 MPH.

The easiest way to get better MPG is to slow down. You might get around 20 MPG at 60 MPH. Have to decide, which is more important on the trip, MPG or time?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The results were very normal. In my 6.8L/4.10 SD I struggle to reach 16 pn the highway and average about 12 around town in mixed driving. Best highway economy is between 60 and 65mph.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
What trailer tires?

If ST, note that they are rated for a MAX of 65MPH

Ben he wasn't towing anything. He stated the truck was unloaded.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins Fuel Economy Guide

Here's a guide that Cummins put out to explain factors that impact mileage. There's a good explanation of the effects of aerodynamic drag. Aerodynamic drag is not a linear function of air speed. Drag rises pretty sharply after 50 mph. Your speed and any headwind or tailwind can really impact how hard your engine has to work to keep you at speed.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
My mileage drops off quickly above 60 mph. I'm not surprised at your findings.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a big truck with 3.73 gears and driven in winter with who knows what in the gas formula so I'm not surprised.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
What trailer tires?

If ST, note that they are rated for a MAX of 65MPH
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...