53 REPLIES 53

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy one of each and keep the one you like best.:B

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Reg, ext or crew cab? Cloth/leather? Base, decked out? Single or dual rear wheels? Car like or truck like ride? Towing only? Daily use? Snowplow w/ it? How many traveling at same time in truck w/ you? Many questions to ask yourself 1st. Everyone here has their own opinion as to what they think is best. Each has their merits and downsides. Take several days and trips to the dealers and take test rides in all of them. Won't go wrong w/ any of today's diesels for power and towing. How easy can you reach the controls in each truck? How cushy is your tushy in all seating areas?

FWIW, back in '03, we sat in both GM and Ford crew cabs (youngest at the time was in a car seat, so seat went in w/ him in it) to see which we fit in best. Ford won. There were features we liked on the GM, but just felt the Ford fit the bill better. So you have plenty of things to consider and look at.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
When looking at comfort, keep in mind that different trim levels will have different levels of comfort. While some are fine with a base truck, others want more cushioning for long hauls. I would've went with a base model for mine, but DW sat in it and said, "I'm not doing this for long trips." The seat was too hard. So I had to go up a couple of trim levels to get one that worked for her. My friends who just bought a similar truck had to go to the leather trim to find one they felt comfortable in.

It'll be your rear in that seat for long drives. Don't just drive a single trim level from each brand and expect a fair comparison.

I'm not going to comment on the diesel part since I didn't buy one.

Reliability is a whole 'nother can o' worms. Keep in mind that those that have problems are far more likely to post their issues in the internet for all to see vs those who are completely or somewhat satisfied. You'd probably be much better off doing some independent research outside of forums for reliability.

Towing. Any of the big 3 are capable towing machines when configured properly.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

rbos57
Explorer
Explorer
No need for a battle here. Like bbaker says......
What is it that you love about yours.
29 ft tt
2016 RAM 3500 6.7 CUMMINS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whichever one you can afford
Whichever one YOU like after test driving

And then most importantly
Whichever one your better half likes riding in
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
here we go again
we have the 2015 3500 Ram, love it. so much power. very comfy when 5er is connected. bouncy when empty.
I would expect all will be the same. price wise I think Ram is a better deal.

did we look at the others, yes yes and yes. still went for Ram, and would not go back
please do not make this a battle guys, just say why you bought yours
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

blt2ski
3, 2, 1,

how quick should I lock this? How long till this goes to heck in a handbasket?

OP has been listed as a member for a year, and wants to know which is bes........

oh me aching head!

marty

PS,
The one that fits you rear end best......or better yet, the one you wife will be seen in!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO ALL are very very good vehicles today. My advice, drive them all and decide which one YOU like best, and get it. What I want and like may or may NOT be what is important to you.

I have friends with new Dodges, New Fords, we have a new GMC, son has a new ford work truck, had a dodge work truck, now also has my old Chevy duramax.

He's had experience with all three, and points out enough differences in what he likes/doesn't like, but again they all really boil down to what you like and need.

And when friends and I compare, again, we can all point out things we like about ours and others and things we don't like about ours and others.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbos57 wrote:
1 ton diesel
Your thoughts???
comfort,reliability, towing etc...
I know everyone has an opinion.

New or used?

Most say new Personal choice, it seems that all three are getting over cutting their emissions teeth.
The Ram boys' will stand behind the CP3, HPP over the CVP4 of GM or Ford.

If you get good fuel, the issues are minimal.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"