Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Megacab

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Been trying to decide between the Big 3 and while I like the Dodges, I didn't like the way that the middle portion of the back seat has an indention so it's really not a true 3 person seat. I have 3 girls and I need actual full seats for the long road trips, hence the reason I was leaning towards the Fords. I found out that the Megacabs have a true bench back seat.

My question is with the Megacabs (as I can't recall seeing any in my RV park travels) is there any issue with 5th wheels and clearance? I know that they have 6 ft. beds and there shouldn't be an issue but I figured I would ask the dumb question.

We haven't purchased our 5th wheel yet and while I know they now make 5th wheels made for short beds, better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance!
42 REPLIES 42

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2. Main reason I chose the 2500 over the 3500 was the coil springs in the rear. My 2500 is a daily driver and the ride is very good. Tows 8800 lbs like a dream
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Coils are fine for ride quality, not so good for towing.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. For the record, trains ride on coil springs, and trains can tow a decent amount. Saying that coil springs won't work for towing is just plain stupid. The load rating of a spring is what determines if it is up to the challenge... not necessarily the type of spring.

The rear coils on my 2015 2500 are rated to 6500 lbs. The rear leaf springs on a 2015 F250 are 6100 lbs. Which is "better" in your opinion? For me, the higher rating (and also more comfortable ride) are "better".
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our second 3500 DRW Mega Cab. Kids call it a SUV on steroids. Pull a 16000 lb. 5th wheel with no problems.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
ducksquasher wrote:
Hey All,

Been trying to decide between the Big 3 and while I like the Dodges, I didn't like the way that the middle portion of the back seat has an indention so it's really not a true 3 person seat. I have 3 girls and I need actual full seats for the long road trips, hence the reason I was leaning towards the Fords. I found out that the Megacabs have a true bench back seat.

My question is with the Megacabs (as I can't recall seeing any in my RV park travels) is there any issue with 5th wheels and clearance? I know that they have 6 ft. beds and there shouldn't be an issue but I figured I would ask the dumb question.

We haven't purchased our 5th wheel yet and while I know they now make 5th wheels made for short beds, better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance!

I've been pulling with a DRW Mega cab for years now. Most front caps work fine with the short beds these days. Most are rounded now as opposed to the older flat, square fronted ones before. I don't use a slider hitch and never even think about how sharp I'm turning because I never get close to the cab. I use a B&W hitch.

The mega cab space is huge and the seat works awesome with my 3 kids in the back. I won't own another truck that isn't a mega cab, at least not until my kids are out of the house (I do have a crew cab GMC that I love, but it is noticeably much more cramped) . The back seats even recline which is awesome. My wife has a F-350 crew cab truck at her work that we use to haul company horses with and the cab on it fails miserably compared to my mega cab. I wouldn't own one. Drive a Ram and you will see.
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

Bedlam
You can get the MegaCab in a short bed DRW so you have sufficient payload to carry the fifth wheel pin weight. Some fifth wheel nose cones are now designed to work without a sliding hitch, but you may still have that additional cost and complexity with the wrong short bed combination.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Mega Cab has 6-1/2 foot bed (just like all other short beds). The rear seat in a Mega Cab is amazing - so is the fold flat rear in a Mega Cab. My 3500 SRW Mega Cab has a GVWR of 12300# (4270# payload) with a Max Trailer Weight Rating of 16,800#. DRW Mega Cabs go up to Max Trailer Weight Rating of 28,820#. All numbers quoted are for my model year 2015. I think the went up for later years.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I would also be cognizant of the fact that FCA employs coil springs on the rear axles of the 1500 and 2500 Full size trucks. Only the 3500 series have leaves.

I would be interested in info that backs this up. I don't think it's true.

Ram 2500 tows more than F250:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_r2_Sep29.pdf

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2017_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

Better? I'm not sure.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I would also be cognizant of the fact that FCA employs coil springs on the rear axles of the 1500 and 2500 Full size trucks. Only the 3500 series have leaves.

I would be interested in info that backs this up. I don't think it's true.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
The 2017+ new gen F250 and 350 have the same cab as a 2015+ F150. I had one of those, and the rear cab is the best of the three by far.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
For our first trailer, we wanted to replace our van with a 3/4 ton truck. We tried the big three, and ended up with the Ford F-250. We loved the crew cab. I had never been a Ford lover, but the F-250 crew cab fit our needs the best. The Chevy was narrower, and the Dodge was kind-of spartan. The Ford was big and cushy. So that's what we bought.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

brianpearce
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue with the rear bench when looking for my new truck. I couldn't even consider Ram or GMC/Chevy as I wanted a long bed, so I went with Ford. I looked into the Megacab, but as others have said, you are limited due to lower payload capacity. FWIW the Ford crew cab is very spacious for our 3 kids 12,10,8.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggest mega cab problem is there really low GVWR. Mainly because the added weight of the cab. If your going to pull a fiver be sure of your weights before you pick anything.