Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Megacab

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Been trying to decide between the Big 3 and while I like the Dodges, I didn't like the way that the middle portion of the back seat has an indention so it's really not a true 3 person seat. I have 3 girls and I need actual full seats for the long road trips, hence the reason I was leaning towards the Fords. I found out that the Megacabs have a true bench back seat.

My question is with the Megacabs (as I can't recall seeing any in my RV park travels) is there any issue with 5th wheels and clearance? I know that they have 6 ft. beds and there shouldn't be an issue but I figured I would ask the dumb question.

We haven't purchased our 5th wheel yet and while I know they now make 5th wheels made for short beds, better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance!
42 REPLIES 42

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The low GVWR and payload numbers went away in 2013 when the trucks were redesigned. My truck has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and a mere 5,397 lbs of payload. :B. It handles our 16k fiver with 4K lb pin weight extremely well.

We are very happy with the truck and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. The Cummins pulls like a train!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Coils are fine for ride quality, not so good for towing.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. For the record, trains ride on coil springs, and trains can tow a decent amount. Saying that coil springs won't work for towing is just plain stupid. The load rating of a spring is what determines if it is up to the challenge... not necessarily the type of spring.

The rear coils on my 2015 2500 are rated to 6500 lbs. The rear leaf springs on a 2015 F250 are 6100 lbs. Which is "better" in your opinion? For me, the higher rating (and also more comfortable ride) are "better".

Hey there Spoon....The statement about Sidecar being ignorant was uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to their option, even you. If you actually knew Sidecar, you would realize he knows what he is talking about.

His statement, " Coils are fine for ride quality", is a true statement. The part of his statement, "not so good for towing", is also accurate and in a later post of Sidecar's, he gives facts to support his statement.

All goes back to being a little more patient with another person's ideas, driving, or actions. Won't hurt you and you'd be wiser for doing it.

My opinion. Worth what you paid for it!

Lakeside

His statement about towing with coils is ignorant and inaccurate. My Ram handles a given load much better than my leaf sprung F250 did. The Ford was an older truck so not an apples to apples comparison, but the blanket statement that a coil spring is inferior for towing is simply wrong.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
treeofliberty wrote:
Cummins12v98 wrote:
Cummins12v98 wrote:
Incredible! Truck purchase based on center section of rear seat! Pampered kids for sure. My kids got to sit on a full bench with Mom and Dad in a single cab C20.

BTW there is nothing wrong with the center seating. 3 kids, rotate em.

This is horse leftovers. My truck is a great tow vehicle all the way up to the axle ratings.

Well, when you say it that way... 😄 You and I see the world through the same lens.

I can see both sides of this argument, and the OP is certainly welcomed to spend his money how ever he wants. We're currently shopping for a tow vehicle ourselves, and constrained by the floor of the cab for our 2 rottweilers (who are better behaved than most kids these days). That's a far cry from my childhood, when we rode in the covered bed of a pickup on 2000 mile trips, and thought that was the coolest thing ever. Of course, we weren't pulling a FW.

Good luck to the OP on his search.

Where did you find the second quote above with my handle on it? I did not write that.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

That's a pretty ignorant statement. For the record, trains ride on coil springs, and trains can tow a decent amount. Saying that coil springs won't work for towing is just plain stupid. The load rating of a spring is what determines if it is up to the challenge... not necessarily the type of spring.

The rear coils on my 2015 2500 are rated to 6500 lbs. The rear leaf springs on a 2015 F250 are 6100 lbs. Which is "better" in your opinion? For me, the higher rating (and also more comfortable ride) are "better".

Hey there Spoon....The statement about Sidecar being ignorant was uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to their option, even you. If you actually knew Sidecar, you would realize he knows what he is talking about.

His statement, " Coils are fine for ride quality", is a true statement. The part of his statement, "not so good for towing", is also accurate and in a later post of Sidecar's, he gives facts to support his statement.

All goes back to being a little more patient with another person's ideas, driving, or actions. Won't hurt you and you'd be wiser for doing it.

My opinion. Worth what you paid for it!

Lakeside

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The Mega will be no different really than any short bed truck pulling a 5ver. Depending on the trailer, you may need a sliding hitch.
As far as the Mega portion of the truck goes, it's hard to beat the room/comfort of them. Solid well executed idea by Dodge going on 12 years ago.
Some don't like them. I do.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sit 3 across in the back of our Mega Cab all the time with no complaints. Maybe the model you're looking at has a different rear seat?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
I won't quote the whole section, but I wanted to question the comment on coils being cheaper.

In addition to the cost of the actual spring, a coil suspension adds: radius or control arms, and a track bar (panhard rod). As well as attendant mounting hardware for these items.

A leaf spring has the magic of acting as both a spring and locating the axle, while a coil separates these functions.

While I am sure leaves have some specific advantages, I can't think of any right now. I have found coils easier to work with in terms of changing ride height and springs.

Perhaps it is the ability to use an overload leaf that took the 1-ton down this path.

And.... Lord I can't believe I am wading into this.... Regarding axle wrap, it's generally the same story as above. A leaf spring is locating the axle and suspending it. Although some vehicles, Wrangler, have used leafs with a track bar.

Leaf springs, especially those with any blocks, can allow axle wrap. This is what those "traction bars" on 70s muscle cars were there for. A coil spring, which is controlled from rolling front to back by radius or control arms, will control this wrap better than a plain leaf.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
No kids here, all grown up and productive members of socirty...all in LE.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Incredible! Truck purchase based on center section of rear seat! Pampered kids for sure. My kids got to sit on a full bench with Mom and Dad in a single cab C20.

With all the trucks so close in overall performance and features what is wrong with selecting the one that fits your use best? After all there are those that purchase the Ram ONLY for the Cummins overlooking all other shortcomings the vehicle may have with respect to their usage.

treeofliberty
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12v98 wrote:
Cummins12v98 wrote:

This is horse leftovers. My truck is a great tow vehicle all the way up to the axle ratings.

Well, when you say it that way... 😄 You and I see the world through the same lens.

I can see both sides of this argument, and the OP is certainly welcomed to spend his money how ever he wants. We're currently shopping for a tow vehicle ourselves, and constrained by the floor of the cab for our 2 rottweilers (who are better behaved than most kids these days). That's a far cry from my childhood, when we rode in the covered bed of a pickup on 2000 mile trips, and thought that was the coolest thing ever. Of course, we weren't pulling a FW.

Good luck to the OP on his search.
Tim

2013 F-350 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, Shortbed, Andersen Ultimate 2
2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS, 540 watts of solar, Magnum MS2812 inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2025 and SC-2030, weBoost 4G-M cell booster

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I grew up riding in the bed of the truck open to the elements. My kids and the dog rode in the bed of the truck but with a canopy. My grandkids have their own leather seats replete with entertaining electronics. I guess as a society we are evolving.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I would also be cognizant of the fact that FCA employs coil springs on the rear axles of the 1500 and 2500 Full size trucks. Only the 3500 series have leaves.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
You state that coils aren't good for towing, then in your own defense of that statement you wrote...
SidecarFlip wrote:
Consrquently, it's a tossup, I prefer leaves.

Even YOU don't believe your statement...

SidecarFlip wrote:
I find you referring to my statement as ignorant on your part but I'll let that slide.
First of all, you aren't letting it slide, as you are commenting upon it. Second of all, your own admissions that its a "toss up" CONFIRM that your statement was ignorant.

By the way, you are ragging on the 2500 for having coil springs, which aren't on commercial trucks, yet you say nothing about the factory air suspension options on the 2500, which are on commercial trucks. You are cherry picking your argument, an example of someone who is "lacking knowledge or awareness in general", also known as ignorant.

There are lots of things on consumer pickup trucks that aren't on commercial vehicles, there are lots of things that are on commercial vehicles that aren't on consumer pickup trucks... what is your point? The OP isn't trying to buy a class 4-8 truck, he is asking about a Class 2B or class 3 truck.

Anyway, OP I'm sorry to have gotten off track. I agree that its rather annoying that the Ram Crewcabs have the cutout middle rear seat. I only have 2 kids (for the time being), so its not an issue for me (yet). I can certainly understand a child having comfort issues on longer trips without proper thigh support.

Either a slider hitch or a newer "rounded front" 5er should be fine with the shorter bed truck in the Megacab. I have several friends that tow 5ers with the 6'4" bed with no problems. Some have sliders, some don't... no problems hitting the cab with any of them.

Good luck with your decision.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

No, it's not. Train cars are on coil springs because of manufacturing constrainrs, not because of physical properties. Conversely, no train engine rides on coil springs, the trucks that the engines sit on have leaf springs mounted transversely... better look sometime, apparent to me, you never have. Reason why, because when you apply power to the truck, coils want to 'wrap up and jump, leaves, because of their inherent reaction to torque, don't and unlike your truck, trains don't have shock absorbers..... which brings me to this...

A coil spring suspension is cheaper to manufacture (keyword cheaper). Coil spring suspension yield a better ride quaity but because there is no inherent starting friction (leaves contacting each other, a coil spring suspension is much harder on shock absorbers (pogo stick effect) and leavf packs locate the axles in relationship to the frame geometry, coils do not and require radius rods and stabilizer arms.

Consrquently, it's a tossup, I prefer leaves. Don't believe I've ever seen coil springs on any commercial truck...have you? Well maybe in DC there is, you do some strange things out your way....lol

I find you referring to my statement as ignorant on your part but I'll let that slide.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB