cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
I found a t/c I really like but looks like weight will be too heavy. I know some of the members here have said my truck will handle more than the gvwr assigned by Ford but it has me concerned.
I still haven’t weighed my truck (2002 F350 4/4 Dually Longbed/ 7.3PSD, Loadlifter 5000# airbags) but has got to be in the 8200# range + or - and Ford says gvwr is 11,500.
The T/C is a 2016 Livin Lite Ford 10.0 and dry weight is estimated at 3K and wet weight at 4K. It would have looked great matched up on the F350.
It still spooks me to run over the GVWR by much and then get pulled over and checked.
I read the story behind the start up of the all aluminum Livin lite campers, merge with Ford, and then buy out and shut down of the Company - what a shame!
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois
60 REPLIES 60

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
GAR2 wrote:

Thank you! No- I wasn’t sure. I was surprised how close to Front GAWR the truck already was— but I do know the Diesel engines add a lot of weight compared to gassers.

True statement, but you said snow plow mount, so think of it this way, you haven't been worried about hanging the plow off the front up to this point and this is a lot less weight than the plow.

That said, at least back in the day, our plow trucks did see alot of increased front end parts wear. Ball joints, springs, etc. But these trucks plowed commercially every winter.
IMHO it would save a bit of front end and front tire wear to remove those components, but leaving them on with the camper installed won't accelerate the front end wear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Dry my camper took 40 pounds off the front axle.

Loaded for camping with my small ATV trailer in tow they took 100 lbs off my front axle.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
GAR, if you didn't realize, removing the hardware off the front of your truck (unless you don't use it anyway) will yield little to no real world gain for hauling a TC.
As the vast majority, if not all, of the camper weight is on the rear axle, theoretically the extra weight out front of the front axle is very slightly reducing your rear axle weight. (Not enough to amount to anything either way

Thank you! No- I wasn’t sure. I was surprised how close to Front GAWR the truck already was— but I do know the Diesel engines add a lot of weight compared to gassers.
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see an issue
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
GAR, if you didn't realize, removing the hardware off the front of your truck (unless you don't use it anyway) will yield little to no real world gain for hauling a TC.
As the vast majority, if not all, of the camper weight is on the rear axle, theoretically the extra weight out front of the front axle is very slightly reducing your rear axle weight. (Not enough to amount to anything either way

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer

Just more or less to let you guys know your comments have been helpful as I try to understand this.

BTW- I know this isn’t the right thread- but I was blown away by some of the night pictures in the new 2020 truck calendar— Awesome!!

Thanks! Glenn
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all, I’m getting a better understanding- it was a little difficult but has helped as I started looking at individual weights. So yeah— my dual tires have a great safety margin- 11,100 lbs. on the rear. I’m watching my rear GAWR. I’m gonna shed some weight off the front- remove my front hitch assembly for the winch and snow plow. I just realized I’ll be shedding weight by removing tail gate which I beefed up with 3/16 steel tread plate for driving attic cat in and out. So I’ll post my CAT scale ticket from this morning, with full tank 38 gallons diesel, and me and a buddy in the cab (550 lbs or so......) — then I’ll post my door pillar tag. I am taking a road trip Thursday to go look at a T/C 3K dry weight (est.)

Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Starting at the scale is the best thing to do. Just remember the posted weights on campers can be way off and by way off I mean several hundred pounds. Only you can decided what overloaded is for your truck. Illinois will ticket you for not having that safety sticker if you have a D plate. They may also ticket you if you go over 12k IF they have some reason to weigh you. Since we both are in Illinois we know they are desperate for money. If you are really concerned about insurance talk to your agent. Ask as many questions as you want there are plenty of people here happy to answer or should I say give opinions on them.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You are worrying over nothing. I carried my camper on a truck with 9,900 lb GVWR, the whole rig weighed 11,400 loaded to camp. Then I hauled it on a dually rated 11,400 GVWR, the whole rig weighed about 13,100 when I had my 20' boat in tow. I drive both rigs for years for thousands of miles thru multiple state with no mechanical problems. I had the dually tagged for 14,000 pounds.
GVWR is not a legal number, tire and axle weights are. If any farmboys are gettung tiketed it's probably because they were over tag weight or the were over 26,000 lbs with no CDL; farming is a commercial enterprise after all.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll be fine, but in the long run it'sup to you. This rig was 1,800lbs over sticker and it didn't care either.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
In florida you can buy your plate for the weight of the truck plus what you want to carry. Before I had the TC I registered it for about 1000 lbs over the weight of the truck once I started hauling the TC I increased it to the max rated weight which increased the cost about 55.00.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And don’t tell his wife that he’s out chasing white “tail” over Christmas ! She probably thinks he’s hunting.....lol

Merry Christmas kids!!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ Oh Jeebus.
Now you're trying to wind up Sidecar and Kayteg!

He is out chasing the illusive 'whitetail' so will be out of commission for a few days, so you will most likely skate by.

I won't tell him he does not have enough truck for his TC......lol
Oh, his truck looks like it did when it was new as do all his toys and tractors......

Lakeside

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
From a slightly different angle, I have run about 1000-1800 lbs over GVWR for over 20 years. This is on 2500 or 3/4 ton trucks registered for commercial use in WA state, I pay for 12,000 lbs and as long as I am below registered, axle, wheel and tire ratings Washington State Patrol is fine with it. I went to them with my truck to make sure I was ok and was told by several troopers that the only way they would ticket as long as I was under registered, axle, wheel and tire ratings was if it looked un safely loaded like way nose high.

ETA: I drive about 20,000 per year so about 400,000 miles.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
GAR2 wrote:
My plan to weigh truck last night went to heck, but I did talk to the farmer where I deer hunt (dropping off their Christmas gift). He didn’t know about RV,s but he said the state police / County has been getting bad about pulling guys over in pickups pulling trailers that they suspect are overloaded. He also said his Dad got pulled over a couple times last year with their farm trucks for not having the State inspection sticker on them (you’ve gotta love Illinois.....Not!)

One question as I work through this: I found the specs. on-line and the 10.0 Livin Lite will hang out almost 3’ past the back of my 8’ truck bed which means I’m also looking at a super truss hitch or building the equivalent for my Dyna Trak 18’ fish n ski / 3500# gvw trailer. Q. Do I need to also figure in my tongue weight as part of my gvw also or does that fall under gross combined weight rating (truck/trailer) Probably only 350-400 lbs though.

Yes, tongue weight counts against your GVW. As for “legal”, none of the states use GVWR for anything legal that I’ve heard of. Many states require you to register a declared weight (your choice) which you cannot exceed and I suspect that is what those guys are getting pulled over for, if they are at all.