cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiver limits

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Sooo... Still looking at the big three gassers, I've come to the realization that the receiver limits on the Ford and GM truck seem a bit low. Ford maxes out at 1500 lbs, but that's only if you go dually. Otherwise Ford is 1250 lbs. GM maxes at 1300 lbs apparently (a bit vague in the specs).

It looks like they're just applying a 10% rule against the max trailer weight to set the receiver limit. Is there really any difference in the receiver setup between a F250 gasser and an F350 DRW diesel (rated 1900 lbs)? Is GM really capped at 1300 lbs?

I'm buying this truck to satisfy our next TT which could have a TW up to 1500 lbs + the hitch, and this would eliminate everything but the Ram (1800 lbs limit) it seems.

TIA :C
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS
28 REPLIES 28

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if they're using the same hitch for for all 250/350 applications and just changing the label to correlate to what the rest of the truck is capable of holding up...

According to Ford's specs, the SRW gassers are a class IV 2" receiver, and the diesels or DRWs are a class V 2.5" receiver. I would think it would be a cost reduction to just use the one, so there has to be some legit reason why they would do it differently :?
2013 North Trail 28BRS

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
It wouldn't surprise me if they're using the same hitch for for all 250/350 applications and just changing the label to correlate to what the rest of the truck is capable of holding up...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another one for you Ben (2016 Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0):

mkirsch wrote:
Bigfoot affair wrote:
I did notice that when looking at the online trailer tow ratings for the big three, all DRW trucks have a higher class V hitch rating. Why would that be?

Four tires vs. two, plus a whole bunch of extra leaf springs.

A DRW truck has a much higher weight carrying capacity, therefore it can tow a much heavier trailer tongue.

Well, Ram appears to be the same for all 2500/3500 trucks regardless. GM cares about the bed length. Ford seems to be the most specific giving different ratings for Gas/Diesel and SRW/DRW.
2013 North Trail 28BRS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bigfoot affair wrote:
I did notice that when looking at the online trailer tow ratings for the big three, all DRW trucks have a higher class V hitch rating. Why would that be?

Four tires vs. two, plus a whole bunch of extra leaf springs.

A DRW truck has a much higher weight carrying capacity, therefore it can tow a much heavier trailer tongue.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Weight distribution needed? Help interpret CAT scale numbers
receiverlabel

BenK wrote:
Not all receivers are rated the same...

Here is Curt's PDF on their towing info. Names of the various parts,
HOW2's, and ratings/class of receiver (this topic)

Curt: Understanding Towing
ReceiverRatings

Check out page 7...their offerings ranges from 200lb to over 1,800 lb
tongue weight ratings. So be careful of folks pointing out what theirs
is rated for...as it only applies to theirs...or yours if yours is the
exact same model

Here are some receiver labels, both posted here on rv.net and found
on the internet. Note that there are two weight ratings. Load carry
or dead weight and WD.

JBarca 2007 Sub receiver label

buddy Marco's Duramax

MyReceiverLabel

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
A very good example...of course...now the weak link would be that Miatia...

That receiver is still rated for what it's label says...

Been saying for years and years here...the ratings system...is....a SYSTEM....and
Only as strong as it's weakest link...

eluwak wrote:
BenK wrote:
All receivers have their ratings listed on the label on the receiver it self

Both WD and dead weight are listed

The rating does NOT apply to another vehicle...just "that" one it is stuck on

Change receiver and the rating is whatever the new label says

No different from the GVWR label on the TV drivers door...it only applies to that vehicle...not any other vehicle...

While possible on the HDs, I wouldn't say that's generally correct. Adding a class V to a Miata doesn't necessarily mean it can all of a sudden handle 2000 lbs TW just because the sticker says so (Granted that's a bit extreme). I also know that some truck frames are designed to fail a certain way when over-stressed to prevent a more catastrophic situation. I imagine that's probably limited to the half tons, but don't really know.

In any case, the 2016 HD Silverados I have seen do not appear to have a sticker on their receivers. Haven't had a chance to look at the others yet.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

jamilbk
Explorer
Explorer
2,000 / 20,000 on my silverado 2500 cclb. duramax though.

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
eluwak wrote:

In any case, the 2016 HD Silverados I have seen do not appear to have a sticker on their receivers. Haven't had a chance to look at the others yet.

Mine is on bottom of hitch and states 1500 pounds. It does not specify any weight changes using a WD hitch like my half ton did.

Ah, I didn't look at the bottom since it was backed up to a curb. The manual did state it was weight carrying or weight distributing. Ford seems to be the only one out of the three with different ratings between the two.
2013 North Trail 28BRS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
eluwak wrote:

Mine is on bottom of hitch and states 1500 pounds. It does not specify any weight changes using a WD hitch like my half ton did.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Get the truck you want, remove the factory hitch, and put on a higher rated aftermarket hitch of your choice. 🙂

Torklift Super hitch or Magnum.

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

No different from the GVWR label on the TV drivers door...it only applies to that vehicle...not any other vehicle...

While possible on the HDs, I wouldn't say that's generally correct. Adding a class V to a Miata doesn't necessarily mean it can all of a sudden handle 2000 lbs TW just because the sticker says so (Granted that's a bit extreme). I also know that some truck frames are designed to fail a certain way when over-stressed to prevent a more catastrophic situation. I imagine that's probably limited to the half tons, but don't really know.

2013 North Trail 28BRS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
On my F350 I use for my landscape business, I went aftermarket. etrailer sells some awesome Curt hitches for a little over $300. They are true class V hitches. I've had two in the past.

Mine has a 2700 lb. tongue limit and it doesn't matter if its WD or not. 2700 lbs. tongue weight and 20,000 lbs. towing capacity. Took me an hour to remove the stock hitch and install the new one. But use a cordless impact if you can.

Hitch capacity is something I don't worry about at all now.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't belive that changes the manufactures max ratings. I think it is opvies that duels can Cary more weight than a single, and I do realize the chasi is the same but hewier springs etc.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.