cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reciever maintenance heads up

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Over on the Class A forum is a discussion on receiver failures.
Thought with the guys that use use extenders for trailers ,boats that this would be of interest.
10 REPLIES 10

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone who has ever driven semi trucks knows it's a daily routine to check for frame cracks/tires/leaks etc before leaving..10 fold for logging trucks..

It just takes a couple minutes but well worth the time.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
The finish on my Torklift lower stable loads was shot after less than a year on the truck. I removed te, sandblasted, primed and repainted tyem. Their so called powder coat sucks and peeled off in sheets. The super hitch paint is not far behind.
The OEM frame paint on my 2015 Ram still looks better than the hitch after 4 years.
I rarely ever drive the rig during the winter and then only if the weather is decent.
I give T/l a fail when it comes to the prep and paint dept.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've seen receivers almost completely rotted away from exposure to road salt. It doesn't hurt to check once in a while.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think any of us have similar issues. Seems to be coach builder's poor frame extension at fault. OEM frames from the big three should be fine if used within ratings.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Several years ago I looked at the bolts holding my SuperHitch to the truck frame.

Two of them were missing - they had loosened up and fallen out.
They were not the bolts the Torklift provided, but two of the OEM bolts that get re-used.

I had to get replacements at the GM dealer.

I check the bolts every year now.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bedlam
Itโ€™s a big reason why I have a large truck camper on a large truck. I wanted large tow capacity but did not want the big size of a Super C or diesel pusher. The 7500 LB limits on some motor homes and 5000 LB limits on many just wasnโ€™t enough. As a bonus, I have 4wd and high chassis clearance I would not get with most Motorhomes unless they were expedition styled.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hahahaha, definitely in the wrong forum, my hitch is rated for more than my truck is capable of.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
What feedback are you looking for?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I have enough things to maintain, to make things up, lol.
Although I'll squirt some black spray paint on the hitch receiver when it looks too rusty and ugly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what are current problems now, but I did own several Class A years ago and it was industry standard to mount 3500 lb receivers on them.
Even on DP.
Now most of stinger users are spending big $$$ on superhitches.
Comparing donkey to elephant?