cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remembered why I got a F450 with 4.30 gears ... observation.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
During the past few days, I drove my daughter's families stuff up from El Paso in a 36 ft Penske truck. We were 23,400 according to the Cat Scale. We made it ... a little brutally slow at times. We chose the the pretty route up through NM, UT, ID, OR, and then WA.

A lot of it was nearly the same as we took earlier this year, but we were going as slow as 45 mph up some of the steep mountains. My DW made the comment that the mountains didn't seem so steep in our TC! Obviously we were slow down the mountains as well with not nearly as good as brakes as my F450 with the TC loaded.

I don't know what model engine it had, but it did have a regen mode. It also was an International chassis, so I guess some Navistar model. It was also a pretty bouncy ride and pretty loud compared to the plush F450 Lariat.

It was a strange feeling to be the guy who was going a mile or two mph faster up a hill to pass. A few times, I passed semis that were going probably 35 mph over the past few days, so I guess it could be worse. I did have to look way down the mountain to see if it was possible to attempt the pass. I pass whenever I want with the F450.

Any way, I'm really happy to have the best tool for the job of going up our mountains, and so happy with the choice!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
59 REPLIES 59

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

Now I can tow & haul with the best of 'em and still get great mileage... for enough money to have kept my old gas truck's tanks full the rest of my life, plus.

Hey, man, but you look good and would you (by a chance) had to rent F450 with 4.30 gears, that would give you good excuse to come back here and start a topic
"Remembered why I got a custom truck with gear vendor ... observation."
Got the drift? :B

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
That brings me to the conclusion that once I spend
$70,000 for new dually
$ 8000 to change to air suspension
$ 5000 for gear vendor
than I can have nice and economical truck for only $83k
No tooth-grinding, no rear squat, taking all the grades at good rpm and no penalty at the pump.

I've done exactly that except older but low-mileage dually. Added Kelderman air ride and Air Lift bags too. Added Gear Vendors. Plus tons of other things to make lots of power.
Now I can tow & haul with the best of 'em and still get great mileage... for enough money to have kept my old gas truck's tanks full the rest of my life, plus. And if it gets crunched I'll get a check for less than half what it would take to duplicate it.
Sometime I think I should get a tent and use my wife's Suzuki Grand Vitara.
It DOES have a better turning radius!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
You are twisting what the forum is about.
You want admiration - go to Bible Reading Meeting.
Technical forum is for exchanging technical facts and opinions.
OP painted one side of the story, other members add the rest of the truth.
sometimes myths and misunderstanding, but we are only human.

I'm still trying to determine if you are trolling or serious ...

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
So I am the old man? Close enough.
But which cloud are you???
I know that explaining law of physics or technical facts on forum often seems senseless, but I know few people will get it... eventually.

It's a joke. But hey, your always right so continue on please. It does provide entertainment.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You are twisting what the forum is about.
You want admiration - go to Bible Reading Meeting.
Technical forum is for exchanging technical facts and opinions.
OP painted one side of the story, other members add the rest of the truth.
sometimes myths and misunderstanding, but we are only human.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
All off this because a man wanted to say he appreciates his truck??
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike/kellie wrote:
This topic has really gone around the block in whatever gears you have. Throw in a tighter turning radius than most 3500's and we'll get 3 more pages.

Maybe that's the issue, I should have focused on the turn radius differences. Then, probably someone would say that some car would turn tighter and then they'd explain that we are dumb for not tent camping. ๐Ÿ™‚

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jimh, it's nice to have real life experiences validate previous choices we make. And huge props for still moving family around.
This topic has really gone around the block in whatever gears you have. Throw in a tighter turning radius than most 3500's and we'll get 3 more pages.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That brings me to the conclusion that once I spend
$70,000 for new dually
$ 8000 to change to air suspension
$ 5000 for gear vendor
than I can have nice and economical truck for only $83k
No tooth-grinding, no rear squat, taking all the grades at good rpm and no penalty at the pump.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Number of gears is one thing but I wonder if the overall ratio range is wider, or if the gears are just spaced closer together? I don't have info in front of me but I suspect the extra gears are just for keeping engines in a tighter RPM range within a similar overall range.
What I wish trucks all had is a wider total range. That's what would eliminate the need to order either low or high gears and make the truck good at one thing and not so good at other things.
I imagine in this age of computer controls the factories could safely release such a thing on the public. Most of the clueless public would assume they were always supposed to use all the gears all the time and end up thinking the truck was faulty junk unless the computer makes them use the right ratios and stay out of the wrong ones at the wrong time.
My truck with its add-on extra overdrive (and manual lockup) is like that. When my wife takes the truck anywhere I tell her to just leave all the buttons alone and drive it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
I know that explaining law of physics or technical facts on forum often seems senseless, but I know few people will get it... eventually.

Obviously, this thread skipped by physics and technical data a long time ago. ๐Ÿ˜„

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
So I am the old man? Close enough.
But which cloud are you???

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
I swear you would argue with a post in the ground.

I mention it to let you know its coming sooner than the 20 years you think it will take.

I always picture him like this.

2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
I swear you would argue with a post in the ground.

I mention it to let you know its coming sooner than the 20 years you think it will take.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150
2009 Trails West Warm Blood Trailer