Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Researching Before 1st Purchase

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!

Last year I started getting it in my head that I wanted to get a travel trailer, and have been doing a good bit of research. The wife has finally started coming around to the idea, and I'm ramping up my search a bit before she changes her fool mind again.

I'm currently somewhere between a Forest River and Trail Runner for my search. Bunk House model (2 kids plus friends), around 30ft. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 that will be used to pull it, which is why I want to stay on the short side of 30'.

Looking for some feedback on TOTAL cost of ownership. Obviously I know that there is the monthly payment for the trailer itself. However what other costs should I expect to incur on a semi-regular basis, or up front? So far I have figured out:
Monthly payment
Insurance
Registration
Campground fees
Brake kit for truck

What else is there? I know we'll probably have to stock it to get a working pantry and bedding. Not sure we'll want a TV right away. Are there any other vital pieces I need for the trailer operation?

I appreciate any feedback or information you folks could pass on. Wife and I want to make sure we do this right, and don't over or under budget what we want. Looking for a trailer that has some creature-comforts so we don't get pissed and trade it for something bigger in 2 years, but don't need a Class A that could haul around a rock band.

Thanks in advance!

Brad
41 REPLIES 41

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Barren wrote:
A lot of the stuff listed is good to have and some of it is overkill. As far as the plastic leveling pads people are talking about you can go out and get some treated 2x6 and cut wooden blocks for that and have a couple of boards long enough to fit under your tires for side to side leveling. You will find as you go what you need for camping and the things that you don't need just want. By the way I pull a 31 foot coachman freedom express 28se with my half ton f150 and have never had any problems. This is the forth different travel trailer we have owned and all were pulled with a f150. We have been RV since 1990.

Florida entirely is flat, and PA that is far from the norm, and every state park in PA has the potential to smoke a trans getting to it.

Go south and you have the Smoky Mts, go north east PA Wilds, go further north east Catskills, Adirondack, Green and White mountains.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the stuff listed is good to have and some of it is overkill. As far as the plastic leveling pads people are talking about you can go out and get some treated 2x6 and cut wooden blocks for that and have a couple of boards long enough to fit under your tires for side to side leveling. You will find as you go what you need for camping and the things that you don't need just want. By the way I pull a 31 foot coachman freedom express 28se with my half ton f150 and have never had any problems. This is the forth different travel trailer we have owned and all were pulled with a f150. We have been RV since 1990.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:

EDIT: Jebby, looks like the percent character or maybe the number character was causing the issue. I have a post in Forum help about this. rv.net needs to step up and get updated forum software.

GOOD TO KNOW!

also worth mentioning that I got my older rig for 2K put spend 800 on tires and bearings and still had it camp ready for 3200 bucks. it can be done on a budget. that said my rig is um..... previously loved. very very "loved"

and that's in Canadian dollars so like 30 or 40 American dollars lol
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I have a lot on that list already.

The TT I'm looking at has a television.
Need chocks and sway bar (may try and get dealer to throw in?)
May need covers depending on where I store it. I'm in Western PA which gets rough in winter.
Have a GPS
Have lanterns / tablecloth / flashlights / chairs from tent camping
Have Security Lock
Have Extension Cord

I would have thought the hoses come with the TT? Has anyone had success having dealer throw them in?

Also, to clarify...
Sway bar is the upgraded hitch used when towing (3pt connection)?
Stabilizers are what you put under the TT when parked to keep it from moving too much?

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Regarding accessories you will need to buy for your TT if you buy new, budget about $1500- 2000 if you do it right and go camping well equipped
good sewer hose and support brackets..15 ft
white water hose..50 ft
water hose for cleaning sewer hose-25 ft
good wheel chocks- 4
2 sets of 10 Lynx levelers ( total 20)for under stabilizer jacks and tongue jack
stabilizing bars to steady TT from rocking- two
weight distributing hitch ( $500)
small step ladder to get to roof
soft top mattress topper
3 ft level
slide lube, white lithium grease for stabilizing jacks
small multi purpose tool box and tools
multi purpose power regulator/surge protector-- ( $250)
battery or propane lanterns for picnic table
in line water filter for outside water source
small decorative lamps for inside
fridge and cabinet brackets to keep food and cabinet items from shifting
RV GPS ( Garmin) $300
hitch security lock
25 ft 30 amp extension cord
bug screens for fridge, water heater and furnace outside vents
bedding, sheets, pillows
flat screen TV if it doesn't have one to entertain the kids
outdoor mat to keep from tracking in dirt
plastic picnic tablecloth and clips
several outdoor folding camping chairs
flashlights
TT cover for off season to keep it looking nice and from fading ($250)
tire covers to keep sun from damaging tires in storage and long term camping
AND SEVERAL MORE I'M SURE I CANT THINK OF RIGHT NOW!

AMAZON is a great source of camping accessories at the best prices and in the comfort of your home.. Every item has hundreds of customer reviews so you know what is needed and what is junk. That is where I learned what I needed without finding out on the road. Scroll through the camping accessories section and you will learn a lot and be better prepared the first time you go!
Good luck and Happy Camping!

I think this list is overkill. $1500-$2000 is way high.

A lot of this stuff is entirely unnecessary. A lot of it he probably already owns. A lot of it qualifies as optional luxury items and can be added little by little.

GPS can be done on smartphones.
A special water hose JUST for cleaning sewer hose?
Depending where you live an RV cover may not be necessary. Same for tire covers. Everyone insists you have to replace them every five years anyway. Why bother covering them?
Outdoor lanterns? The unit will have outdoor lighting.
Fridge and cabinet brackets? Never used em and never missed em.

Nothing against your list. I'm sure it serves you well. But no sense in scaring people off. Some people only spend a couple thousand on the whole trailer. And I bet they have all kinds of fun.

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you will see lots of info on payload, ratings, etc. etc. and on 'paper' you should be fine BUT, let me tell you my experience. Last year I had a truck almost identical to yours but it was a Silverado (same engine, year, axle ratio and tow package). I purchased a 30' 5400lb (dry) TT. Did my truck haul it ok? Yup! Did I enjoy it? NOPE!. The Silverado struggled to maintain 50MPH on moderate grades, I'd have the pedal mashed and my wife asked me if she was clear to pass (she was only half joking). I'd stick with something 5,000 or less but that's just my opinion.

As far as TCO goes I tell people this. I used to have a boat, it was a hole in the water I'd pour money into. Now I have a home in the woods I pour money into ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just in the past 4 weeks I have spent:

$200 MaxxAir Vent for bathroom (I hate the stock fan / vent)
$30 Jack Stands (to stabilize camper better)
$90 LED lights (I could have spent less but I purchased lights I have used before).
$60 Gas Props for holding up storage lids (under beds)
$100 new foam for dinette seating
$40 under belly LED lights, switch, wiring.
$345 on new Class V WD hitch
$38 to fill propane tanks
$60 toolbox mounted on back bumper
$197 new tongue jack
-Next week I go in for new tires and to have bearings packed ~$350
-Before my first trip I'm investing in $175 voltage protector
-Next month I will begin work on my back yard 'site'. I'll be trenching in 50AMP service, water, cable, sewer and putting down a nice level crushed rock pad with fire pit. This will be our 'guest house' and I'm budgeting $800 for it.

Do I 'NEED' all that stuff, no but I wanted all of it so it comes down to what will you want. If you get into this as much as I have, you will spend plenty of money but it's still less than an annual trip to see that Mouse in Orlando ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Take option 1 as an example, and BTW, it would probably be my choice considering your TV.

Dry weights mean absolutely zilch. So, 5,118 + 2,392 = 7,510 for that TT GVWR

12 percent tongue weight of that trailer at GVWR = 901 lbs

2,392 lbs of loaded items in the TT is quite a bit so lets work backwards for what are probably more realistic weights on that TT.

5,118 is the brochure dry weight but delivered weight will probably be more realistic at 5,500 lbs. but you should weigh it to know for sure.

7,510 - 5.500 = 2,010 lbs

Chances are you will load 1,000/1,500 lbs into the trailer with supplies, clothes, food and other junk. Let's say you load on the lighter side with 1,000 lbs. That puts the loaded trailer at 6,500 lbs. 12 percent of 6,500 = 780 lbs for a more realistic tongue weight. You would also have some wiggle room for adding a bit more or for the family growing and adding weight in the TV.

Again, these are only estimates for a trailer like that of what you should expect but to find exacts, one would need to weigh both the TT and TV to know for sure. Yes, how do you weigh a TT you don't own? Good question. But if you go by what would be considered realistic weights and not brochure or salesman numbers, you will be much better off.

EDIT: Jebby, looks like the percent character or maybe the number character was causing the issue. I have a post in Forum help about this. rv.net needs to step up and get updated forum software.
I love me some land yachting

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ im glad im not the only one that has been having trouble with posts
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate you trying! I've found that with some forums like this, I like to type longer responses in Microsoft Word and then cut/paste when I'm ready to put it in. I've had that happen too often and thrown a keyboard or two.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, had a very nice detailed post but this rv.net forum software is horrible. Keeps timing out and failing when I try and post.
I love me some land yachting

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine with the smallest. You may be able to tow the other two. Load up your TV with your family and gear for calling, plus a full tank of gas and get it it weighed. That will tell you how much payload you have left to take the tongue weight of the trailer.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
My payload is just 100 pounds higher than yours. I've been to a scale, loaded for a long trip. Our tongue is 800 pounds and we are roughly 100 pounds over payload when traveling. Are you comfortable with that? Many are, including me.

One strategy to consider is getting a trailer with more cargo capacity. Ours has 2300 pounds. This has given us plenty of room in the trailer so that the truck can stay lighter. For this reason, I would rule out #3. Option #1 keeps the length down and gives plenty of cargo room.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
So with 1750ish pounds of payload and 750ish estimated weight of blood pumping mammals, you have about 1000 pounds left for the bed of misc camping gear and trailer tongue weight. No one pulls into a campground with an empty truck bed. Fill it up. That's what it is for - dirty stuff, wet stuff, bikes, firewood, toys, etc - lets say 200 pounds. 800 pounds left means about 6000 pounds loaded, or 5k dry. Any of those listed in prior post would be fine in my book.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, you guys have had me actually research what my TV can do. Darn it, I really like winging things! So, what do you think of this scenario:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500
5.3L V8, 3.42 Axel Ratio
Maximum Trailer Weight - 9,600 lbs
GVW Rating - 7,200 lbs
Maximum Tongue Weight - 1,200 lbs
Per sticker in door, "The combined weight of the occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,736 lbs"
Truck has the "Trailering Equipment Package" (I think this includes 7 wire harness, integrated trailer break control, locking rear differential, trailer towing prep)
Also have the upgraded Monotube Rancho Shocks

Family of four and two dogs - Assume 750lbs

Currently looking at 3 different TTs. Let me know if you would feel comfortable pulling any of these

Option 1 -
Length - 27'
Dry Weight, Hitch - 510 lbs
Dry Weight - 5,118 lbs
Cargo Capacity - 2,392 lbs

Option #2
Length - 29' 1"
Dry Weight, Hitch - 490 lbs
Dry Weight - 4,860 lbs
Gross Capacity - 6,900 lbs

Option #3
Length - 23' 7"
Dry Weight, Hitch - 516 lbs
Dry Weight - 3,890 lbs
Cargo Capacity - 1,426 lbs

I'm still trying to process in my mind how to interpret all of this to figure out if it meets capacity or not. Have to re-read this thread (3rd time!) to see if I can decipher, but figure you all seem to have several hundred years of pulling trailers combined, might as well ask the experts.

Again, I appreciate all of this. It would be a hell of a lot more helpful if I was a car guy and could decipher half of this myself. I guess it's always good to learn!

Brad