cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof ladder???

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
I am coming to ground on a travel trailer and need advice. The dealer is recommending not installing a roof ladder as it makes holes in the TT and can give unwanted access to the roof. The roof ladder would allow me to inspect the roof and equipment that is up there, and I believe comes with the model I am looking at.

Any advice on roof ladders is appreciated. Should I get the model with it installed or the same model without it?

Thanks,
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab
20 REPLIES 20

DB_Family
Explorer
Explorer
Own a 2012 301BQ. It did not come with a ladder but was built with bracing for a ladder. Keystone offered a ladder as a special order part but the weight capacity was only 200lb. Dealer wanted almost $400 for the part and installation. Bought a little giant instead, cheaper, versatile and it works well.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned an RV with a ladder but I've tried them at the dealer lot. My problem with them is that they are straight up and down and narrow as hell. If I bought an RV with one I'd probably use it, but I would never add one.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a 10' A frame ladder at the house I use for getting on the house and TT roof. Never felt the need to have one installed for use at the campground or other times. Feel they are a weak design for my 205 lbs and if I had one mounted and used it a bunch, I would be worried about the attachment screws pulling loose or the sealant around it being broken.

Glad I don't have one.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
Mine can also convert to a 6' "A" frame ladder, as well as the 14' extension ladder.

Got a link? I was thinking our HTT would likely not be very happy with a ladder against it. But the A-frame version.... 😄

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
I thought most manufacturers recommended staying off the roof except when necessary? Are there companies that tell you that you can't walk on the roof (ever)? I don't get up on ours (no ladder) and jump around or do cart wheels, but I'm surely not overly concerned. Our manufacturer made it a point to say we could walk on our slide out so maybe that section is built differently by others.

I would get the one without it as your dealer's advice makes sense.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
No installed ladder on ours but I do have a slide with no topper. I chose to go with one of these, which I can move around to where ever I want and not have to actually be on the RV roof:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Xtend-Climb-8-5-ft-Telescoping-Aluminum-Extension-Ladder-with-225-lb-Load...

Ditto....VERY stable leaned against side of RV...use mine to put kayaks on roof. And like you said, you place it where you want to check. Why climb a rear mounted ladder and have to walk the whole length of RV to check something up front??

X3 on the above. The telescoping ladder is very light and easy to store. A lot cheaper and easier that installing a TT ladder, also more versatile. Mine can also convert to a 6' "A" frame ladder, as well as the 14' extension ladder.

Ladder
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

eddie3260
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both, with and without the ladder. With the ladder has been much, much better for me. Especially when it comes time to put the cover on.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I use the TT ladder for is to hang my 8 ft fiberglass ladder on.
My present TT does not have a ladder so I have to put my fiberglass ladder inside the P/Up bed. Saw a guy climb up the ladder to inspect the roof and the ladder broke loose and the guy fell and broke his back. Then he sued the owner
and collected !! In Calif of coarse !!
samsontdog:o:W

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
No installed ladder on ours but I do have a slide with no topper. I chose to go with one of these, which I can move around to where ever I want and not have to actually be on the RV roof:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Xtend-Climb-8-5-ft-Telescoping-Aluminum-Extension-Ladder-with-225-lb-Load...

Ditto....VERY stable leaned against side of RV...use mine to put kayaks on roof. And like you said, you place it where you want to check. Why climb a rear mounted ladder and have to walk the whole length of RV to check something up front??
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta have a ladder to carry my other step ladder!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought an 8 foot step ladder on Craig's List - brand new Werner for 25 bucks. Works for me.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
Our current fifth wheel (our second) came with a ladder. I find myself crawling up there frequently. It helps sweep debris off of the slides before putting them in.
Tuba Pete

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer

I love me some land yachting

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my TT with one installed. The factory knows better where the supports are and it eliminates the need to carry a separate ladder. I'm up on the roof every time we get home to install my tarp so a ladder is really handy.
Will your slides have covers? If not, don't you need to get onto the roof to clean off the slides before retracting them?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)