cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rotating tires on a dually

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a dually before. Just bought a new 2013 GMC 3500. How do you rotate the tires, or do you?
21 REPLIES 21

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Have had my DRW 2 years. Don't plan on rotating. As others have said, will just keep an eye on them.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:
I have never had a dually before. Just bought a new 2013 GMC 3500. How do you rotate the tires, or do you?

I bet your owner's manual has very specific instructions on this topic and many other relating directly to your vehicle. You would be very wise to read and follow those directions rather than the directions you obtain from any internet forum.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
chemoman wrote:
joe b. wrote:
My Chevy manual recommends rotating them at 7,500 miles on my 3500 DRW truck. But when I stopped at the tire shop I have used for years, I was told I have 3 "unique" wheels on the truck. It has 4 alloy and 2 steel rims on the inside of the duals. However the offset on the front alloys is different than that of the rear outside wheels. So the alloys can be swapped side to side but not front to back.

To do a tire rotation, all 6 tires have to be dismounted from the wheels, moved around in the X pattern, then remounted, rebalanced and put back on the truck. Cost was told to me to be $150 for each rotation. I checked with GM and my truck does have the 3 different wheels on it. Apparently some 2011 all 4 allowys are the same and others are different in front and back. GM dealer told me the 2012 manuals had this information in them regarding the different wheels.

So far I haven't done anything to them. I figure in the life of the tires I would be rotating them 4 times at a cost of $600. I can buy two or three tires for that if they wear out from not rotating. Plan to have the fronts swapped side to side and call it good.

Discount tire/ Americas Tire charged me $120 for a lifetime rotate and balance. Not bad. If you buy from them it comes with the tire.
Now, to the rotate question. My firestone's tread separated on 4 of the 6 at 40K miles. And the other two probably would have had I kept going. This came 5oo miles after a rotation where they changed the tire direction. In the past I made sure that they kept them rotating the same direction, but I got lazy and let some tech talk me into not breaking down all 6.
B
Put Mich's on now and after reading this thread, may not rotate at all. Will( as I always do) keep a close eye on the wear.

Save your time and money properly inflate per your load forget the rotate and enjoy the Michelins.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

chemoman
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
My Chevy manual recommends rotating them at 7,500 miles on my 3500 DRW truck. But when I stopped at the tire shop I have used for years, I was told I have 3 "unique" wheels on the truck. It has 4 alloy and 2 steel rims on the inside of the duals. However the offset on the front alloys is different than that of the rear outside wheels. So the alloys can be swapped side to side but not front to back.

To do a tire rotation, all 6 tires have to be dismounted from the wheels, moved around in the X pattern, then remounted, rebalanced and put back on the truck. Cost was told to me to be $150 for each rotation. I checked with GM and my truck does have the 3 different wheels on it. Apparently some 2011 all 4 allowys are the same and others are different in front and back. GM dealer told me the 2012 manuals had this information in them regarding the different wheels.

So far I haven't done anything to them. I figure in the life of the tires I would be rotating them 4 times at a cost of $600. I can buy two or three tires for that if they wear out from not rotating. Plan to have the fronts swapped side to side and call it good.

Discount tire/ Americas Tire charged me $120 for a lifetime rotate and balance. Not bad. If you buy from them it comes with the tire.
Now, to the rotate question. My firestone's tread separated on 4 of the 6 at 40K miles. And the other two probably would have had I kept going. This came 5oo miles after a rotation where they changed the tire direction. In the past I made sure that they kept them rotating the same direction, but I got lazy and let some tech talk me into not breaking down all 6.
B
Put Mich's on now and after reading this thread, may not rotate at all. Will( as I always do) keep a close eye on the wear.
2010 F350 6.4L DRW 4X4
2013 Open Range Residential 430RLS FW
2007 Jeep Wrangler

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
I put Truckasaurus in "D", step on the Loud Pedal, and the tires start rotating all by themselves.

On a serious note, I have traction tires in back and highway slicks out front. I've never bothered to rotate them, but I do check regularly for damage, dry rot, excessive wear and proper inflation.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's your money paying for it don't waste your money. Properly inflate the tires and drive it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RGordon
Explorer
Explorer
I just rotate the front tires side to side and leave the rears alone. The rears are like new at 62K miles.
Ron & Libby Gordon
07 Ford F350 Dually Tow Boss Diesel
07 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #3698
02 Winnebago Adventurer 35U V10 (Former RV)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow

bigbad1ton
Explorer
Explorer
fronts to inside, inside to outside, outside to front. I also clean the wheels when I rotate so they look good.
1973 Amerigo Slide-in
1974 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special (460)
1974 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special (390)
2001 Chevrolet C-3500 Crew Cab Dually

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Slated4Greatnes
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing the following:

Inners to outer, outer to front, front to inner.

When I bought the new R250's at Firestone I took them to Discount tire and paid their $180 to mount and balance as it comes with lifetime rotation and balancing. Firestone wants $120 to do a single rotation!! I don't blame them as I have the 3 different wheels so they all have to be pulled off the wheels and then put back on the new wheel.
2004 WW SLC3505
Truma tankless WH, 6V's, LEDs inside/out, Flipped axles Michelin LTX's.

2006 F350 Tow Boss W/Training wheels
(Bulletproofed) ARP's, Decked blk/heads, BPD Remote OC, EGR & WP, Snow H20, 4.30:1, SCT W/GH, FS bags, 6" Aus Stax, Train Horns.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The procedure is probably described in the Owners Manual.
I never rotated the tires on my old 1 ton dually.
I don't rotate the tires on my motorhome(s), either. For one thing, the front tires are "street" tread, and the rear tires are M&S tread.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
How do you rotate the tires, or do you?

I don't because rotate I replace every 5 years, so I "time out" before I "mileage" out. That is only reason. If I put on more miles I would rotate per tire manufacturs guidelines.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer

Won't work with custom wheels unless you dismount like Marty said.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I used all tires when I rotated our 2001 dually. One tire at a time because of using the spare. I never did the job again because the tires didn't show a problem. Now with the Michelin tires we bought in 2011 I have had the dealer rotate and will again soon. I don't like old tires and one reason for not wanting to rotate . Free is why for this set of tires.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110