cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running 19.5" wheels; what about the spare?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a set of Rickson 19.5" wheels recently and currently shopping for tires. In the meantime, I've been reading up about the 19.5" option and it would seem Rickson's website does not find having a spare as necessary.

Rickson wrote:
Getting a spare is not necessary, however, if the spare is worked into the rotation pattern, then the set will last that much longer. It's not a good idea to leave the spare under the truck and never run it, as the rubber will dry rot and the spare may not be any good when you need it. In most cases, the 225/70R19.5 is the only size that will fit in the factory spare location, although some 245s will fit. We recommend getting a spare if it will give you peace of mind, or if you plan on traveling to Alaska or Mexico.

So I'm wondering what other 19.5" wheel owners are doing about their spare tire? Do you carry one? If so, is it rotated or changed regularly to avoid a dry rot and worthless tire?

From my research, 19.5" tires are fairly available while out on the road. My insurance covers roadside service. There are several commercial tire dealers that are capable of dispatching and installing new tire in the field.

If I had a flat, I wouldn't attempt to change it anyways, that's why I got roadside assistance with my policy. Whether I'm towed in, a tire replaced on the spot, my spare installed or any other options I'm not thinking of, I do not think it's a safe option to try and fix a roadside flat without assistance.

Follow-up question;
How many 19.5" tire owners on their truck camper have had a flat while on the road? How did you handle the situation?
77 REPLIES 77

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well 4 pages later, answered an obvious question......
Carry a spare tire.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
pjay9 wrote:
When talking a 6 wheeled vehicles the 7th is a moot point, but it was going to be a PITA to get down and up as a spare, would it fit with my classV and the diameter is the same as the new tires..so why?!?!? The cost per mile argument is right on. With 19.5's I think tread ware is not going to be the factor for replacement, it will most likely will be age and side wall condition. Plus if you have 19.5's you most likley will trade in the vehicle before the tires need replacing. Remember these are commercial grade tires on a light truck. Even if they are loaded like my rig.( I would venture to say that somewhere the sats show trade-in period averages. In my case I am outiside the bubble and always will be...both my vehicles are 11 years old and going strong, of course I take care of them.)

So back to the subject...DON'T WASTE THE COIN!! Tire $250 to 325 Wheel 150 to 250 plus...what could you do to your TC for $400 to $500!!!

remember that thought if you cut a sidewall on sharp granite on a backcountry FS road out of cell service with no spare and you have to start walking. I tend to frequent those areas to go fishing.

Nobody said don't have a spare as far as I can see...it what type of spare!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Dang airport free wifi is multi posting. I'll hold replies til we land....

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I don't take my truck off pavement if I can help it. I carry a motorcycle on the front hitch when I need to get around after arriving and am planning to flat tow a Suzuki samurai at some point.

I don't have dual wheels either. SWR

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
pjay9 wrote:
When talking a 6 wheeled vehicles the 7th is a moot point, but it was going to be a PITA to get down and up as a spare, would it fit with my classV and the diameter is the same as the new tires..so why?!?!? The cost per mile argument is right on. With 19.5's I think tread ware is not going to be the factor for replacement, it will most likely will be age and side wall condition. Plus if you have 19.5's you most likley will trade in the vehicle before the tires need replacing. Remember these are commercial grade tires on a light truck. Even if they are loaded like my rig.( I would venture to say that somewhere the sats show trade-in period averages. In my case I am outiside the bubble and always will be...both my vehicles are 11 years old and going strong, of course I take care of them.)

So back to the subject...DON'T WASTE THE COIN!! Tire $250 to 325 Wheel 150 to 250 plus...what could you do to your TC for $400 to $500!!!

remember that thought if you cut a sidewall on sharp granite on a backcountry FS road out of cell service with no spare and you have to start walking. I tend to frequent those areas to go fishing.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I am merely saying that you are not "wasting" your money.

It is closer to a break even over time and depends totally on how long and how many miles you use your truck/camper.

I do not believe the OP has a dually, I don't either.

My preference was to purchase the matching spare up front, I am not saying that not purchasing the spare is the incorrect choice for him or others.

I believe the OP is just asking others what they did and why.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
These things are supposed to be able to retread. Anyone ever get one retreaded? I'd use a retread as a spare if there was a place that has 'em for sale and saves enough money to make it worth it.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no saving in money. No question it takes longer to wear out five tires than it takes to wear out four. Fact is, the cost per mile is the same. If you go by the 7 or 10 year auto replace, you will probably spend more per mile with five tires.

The cost difference between 4 and 5 tires is substantial, so I prefer replacing 4.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
M...don't waste your money!

Not really a waste of money. With a five tire rotation you will extend your replacement period with the option of just buying four the next time that you need to replace, leaving the best tire as a spare.

I can certainly see the added up front cost can make the fifth tire/wheel cost prohibitive.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

Bedlam
My spare is mounted to my headache rack. Once I have a larger camper, I will mount it to my SuperTruss.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
gitpicker2009 wrote:
After I bought my 08 Sterling 4500, I realized it did not have a spare or a place to mount one under the truck as it has the 55 gallon fuel tank in the rear.
I've been trying to find a basic, used 19.5 wheel, just to have, maybe even mount on the front, and have had no luck. Any suggestions?

I usually check Craigslist for my area and the next major metro area near me. When all else fails, buy it brand new. The used item you have been looking for will show up the next day on Craigslist/Offerup.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
After I bought my 08 Sterling 4500, I realized it did not have a spare or a place to mount one under the truck as it has the 55 gallon fuel tank in the rear.
I've been trying to find a basic, used 19.5 wheel, just to have, maybe even mount on the front, and have had no luck. Any suggestions?

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
My OE 17" wheel and tire are my spare...I am dually so I have options...spare can always go on front and front can go to back...19.5's are durable, you most likely will never need a spare, but nice to have...don't waste your money!

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 19.5 spare, the same tire and wheel combo I have on the ground. I do a 5 tire rotation, works for me.

Ditto!
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog