cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rust under trailer on frame parts.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2011 Jayco shows rust underneath on the frame, especially around joints and welds.

I guess one option is to scrape and repaint. Another I think would be some sort of spray on undercoating/rustproofing.

Does anyone have any experience or guidance on the best way to keep this from getting worse?
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks
13 REPLIES 13

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Fluid Film is what I use. It lasts about a year or so then needs to be reapplied. I use it on the tow vehicle as well. Quick and easy, but somewhat messy, so it is best sprayed over a grassy area or put down a cover of some sort. Keep it out of the brakes.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The absolute best stuff is the line of products from POR-15, not cheap though.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Our '85 Wilderness is in pristine shape except for a lot of surface rust on the frame. It was never towed much but we think it was parked near the ocean for many years. I did use a large wire brush to knock off the loose stuff and then sprayed with Rustoleum rust reformer. Worked good under the TT. Didn't work so good on the A frame. I had a hard time removing two layers of old paint that had rusted thru. Hit it with the rust reformer which is also supposed to act as a primer. Rust is coming back thru the new paint, probably didn't get all the rust covered the first time as I have little patience when it comes to painting.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Surface rust does not I affect structural strength in any way that is significant or likely even measurable.

Just clean the area and treat with Rustoleum to improve the aesthetics.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try Rustoleum Rust Reformer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My trailer had quite a bit of rust on the frame so I used Rust Kutter on it and then painted it with Rustolium paint that I brushed on.

The Rust Kutter will neutralize the rust and you can then paint right over it. No need to rinse it off. If you spray it on, you need to wear a respirator as the fumes are quite bad. I put it on with a brush and painted the same way. Still looks great 4 years later.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Rattle can spray on bed liner works well too. Stands up a little better than paint...

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You probably don't have a lot of rust at three yrs. old and living in Ontario, unless you fly South each Winter and park on a beach.

Saw a brand new trailer with lots of corrosion, not just on the frame but on the metal propane plumbing and tanks, metal steps, and elsewhere. A $30K trailer that had been hauled all the way from the Oregon factory some time in the winter over salted roads. You could still see the road salt on the frame ledges as the dealer hadn't taken the time to wash it down. Yuck.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't have a lot of rust at three yrs. old and living in Ontario, unless you fly South each Winter and park on a beach.

I use water softener cleaner (liquid), diluted two parts water/one part cleaner for mild surface rust. The phosphoric acid will neutralize the rust. Rinse off after a day and topcoat with your choice of oil based paint.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Our Springdale TT came to us with a considerable amount of rust on the frame and joints and such. One of first things I did was to "try" to brush and repaint. Well, the brushing became a real pain in the neck real fast, laying on my back on the ground ... didn't I give up laying on the ground when I gave up tent camping?... anyway, I finally just went right for the paint. I used black Rustolium metal "oil based" rust inhibitor spray paint (about 10 cans of the stuff) .. wasn't cheap .. getting that much at once ... and took to spraying everything I could see under the trailer. Worked great!

Next year I crawled completely under the trailer again and inspected (early spring) like I always do. I then bought about 3 cans of the stuff and sprayed the spots I obviously missed the year before.

Well, 6 years later (3 weeks ago) we traded for our new Outback. Before trading, I DID crawl under the trailer, and poked around with a poker, did a little scraping here and there, and had another spray can handy. Except for the areas where I poked, after 6 years, no rust, and the paint was still holding fast. There were a few places where rocks and such had hit on the frame, you could tell by the chips, but no apparent rust. What little was there was just surface. So the Rustolium held pretty good, and the underside of the trailer STILL looked real good!

Rustolium (the oil based version) has a rust inhibitor that actually penetrates and stops rust. You don't need anything else. Shop wisely, and don't be afraid to spend an extra dollar a can. Considering your camper probably cost over $20,000, 5 extra dollars to give your camper 6-8 years of trouble free service is well worth it!

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Wire brush and Rustoleum paint.

Agree.

Rustolium = great stuff...

IMO, flat black color doesn't show as much blemishes as gloss black. Gloss tents to over magnify the little bumps.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are commercial products that you can brush or spray on rust to neutralize it and then paint it. Check out Eastwood under rust control.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wire brush and Rustoleum paint.