Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV 7 pole plug won't fit. Help please

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow RVers,

I just bought a 2011 Silverado that already has a GM 7 pole blade connector. It has 4 grooves inside with the wide one on top. Our RV 7 pole plug won't fit in. It was too tight. Does anyone know where I can get the correct plug please? I looked in the internet and found nothing. I'm probably looking in the wrong places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

Tasma
Explorer
Explorer

I have had this issues with a double brass trailer plug, it just would not plug in. I got a single brass pin out and fit perfectly

You are replying to a question from May 2016. They probably figured it out by now.

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate your help. Have a good one.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Can't believe we have 3 pages on plugging in a connector. If it won't just plug up there is something preventing it. You just have to figure out what it is. If the keyway is properly lined up then it's something else. We can guess until the cows come home but the OP is just going to have to take a look see. It's not rocket science. :h
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

bama2
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the raised 3 rows are to make the male part of the plug to stay tight with no play.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
whosgreg wrote:
My 2007 Ford truck had the same connector you have. The 3 grooves in your connector are much wider and flat. Mine has 3 narrow grooves and both are raised with the middle row sunken. The Ford one is a twist type one. I might have to change the connector which I'm trying to avoid. It's much easier to change the plug. ๐Ÿ™‚

Try using some silicone di-electric grease on the outside of the trailer plug to help it slide and also put some on the end of the trailer plug to lubricate the pin connections. If that still doesn't help there is probably one or more pins on the truck that are bent.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
On some plugs, the 6 inside female connectors on the the trailer could have been crimped together to make a tighter connection for the previous owner.

Try taking a small screwdriver or fingernail and pry those female connectors apart just a little. It'll cost you nothing to try.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

greende
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of observations:

I've never had a GM truck that did not have live power to the plug. That's not to say someone could have removed the fuse.

Oddly, I have had this same problem with my 2011 3500. My flatbed car hauler has a seven way plug that is slightly larger and fits very tight. Every spring when it sits for the winter, I have to use silicone spray on the outside of the plug and a shot to the receptacle on the truck to get the plug to sit deep enough to make contact. The first year, I even took some fine sandpaper to the plug to slightly decrease the diameter. Since you may be looking at changing the trailer end anyway, I would use a meter to test the truck end and use some sandpaper to fine tune the fit.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
On my 2010 F150, I had to install the fuses and relays for the the plug to be powered. there may be a bag of fuses and relays in the glovebox.

I agree. If the truck is new to you and the previous owner hasn't towed with it. You may have to look into the fuse box underhood to install the fuse. New GM trucks normally have the fuse set aside for owner to install on first time towing. I remember doing that on my once new Silverado.

I suspect it may also be the reason with the dirty connector.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2010 F150, I had to install the fuses and relays for the the plug to be powered. there may be a bag of fuses and relays in the glovebox.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my new Cougar and my '11 Sierra. If I lubed the male plug it would go in and make the connection. If I didn't lube it you couldn't force it in far enough to make the connection.

I just chopped off the trailer plug and replaced it with this one . Easy cure for the problem.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If some spray contact cleaner doesn't do the job, check to see if the ground connection is continuous. Do you have a meter?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 Ford truck had the same connector you have. The 3 grooves in your connector are much wider and flat. Mine has 3 narrow grooves and both are raised with the middle row sunken. The Ford one is a twist type one. I might have to change the connector which I'm trying to avoid. It's much easier to change the plug. ๐Ÿ™‚

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just went outside and looked at my two 7-way connectors on the trailer side and they both are smoothed and round with just the one raised area like this photo...

I also have one of these 7-way testers which is the same way smooth and round...

My only 7-way connector on my one truck does have some small raised ribs at three locations around the inside of the round connector. These are there to keep the 7-way plug from the trailer centered I think...

Mine looks similar to this google image showing the three groups of raised ribs on the inside...

Everything here fits inside my truck connector just fine with little effort...

I do see in your photo scraping marks on the inside of your truck side connector on your three groups of raised ribs...

My truck is a FORD product and has the 7-way and 4-pin combo trailer connector setup...

Assuming now this is what you referring too... Don't know what to tell you....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS