cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV BBQ

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with an outdoor gas bbq. I finally set it up in preparation for our first real outing this weekend. I was just wondering if the bbq is designed to be left attached to the trailer while transporting?
107 REPLIES 107

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:

About how much did you enlarge the orifices? Any trouble adjusting for a low/simmer flame without going out? Did the flame stay consistent? Any trouble baking off the paint or anything else?

We're considering getting a Q. Thanks.

There is no need to enlarge the orifice. We allow the Q to warm up for about 10 min before putting on steaks, burgers etc. We start with the lid closed and grill with the lid closed (as stated in the instructions). It is hot, marks the steaks. It takes me about 5 min a side for 1.5" fillets for medium rare.

The Q finish is baked on porcelein and ours has not flaked off. I have grilled six burgers or steaks on our Q100. We've had it for about 10 years and is the best gas BBQ I have ever used.

If you wish to do slow bbq or use indirect, it probably won't work well

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
limbery wrote:
You guys do know, I hope, that "searing" has been proven a falsehood in regards to doing steaks?

For sealing in juices, this is true but for carmelization (Maillard reaction) it is essential. A good steak has a bit of a crust but ymmv.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Drippin wrote:
I sold the RVQ from our last trailer and bought a WeberQ. The output was a bit low but easy to fix but drilling out the gas jet just a bit. Now works like a charm.

About how much did you enlarge the orifices? Any trouble adjusting for a low/simmer flame without going out? Did the flame stay consistent? Any trouble baking off the paint or anything else?

We're considering getting a Q. Thanks.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I converted a newly purchased Weber Q100 to use my quick connect propane. I had the RVQ but the chrome on the grill lasted less than one season. The Weber has been the best BBQ I have owned and would buy one again.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
While I have a good grill at home, which I use every week, I don't use a gas grill on the road. Considered it, but decided that a portable charcoal grill was a better option.

Better how? Just curious - to each his own.

I have gas and charcoal at home, the gas being a Weber. Best grill I ever had. The charcoal is nice too but it takes more time and effort, which is why l prefer the small tabletop gas grill for camping and picnicking. For smaller meals it is even enough and for larger meals it is no less even than a charcoal grill. Best part? Heats from cold to 500-600 deg.F in about 2 minutes.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
I converted a Weber 200 to run off the low pressure line on my TT. We have cooked many a london broil as well as dozens of burgers and hot dogs and have never had an issue with its BTU output.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
You guys do know, I hope, that "searing" has been proven a falsehood in regards to doing steaks?

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
While I have a good grill at home, which I use every week, I don't use a gas grill on the road. Considered it, but decided that a portable charcoal grill was a better option. One bag of charcoal will last more than a week (two of us), and the collapsible grill packs-away nicely.

I used to cook over the campfire, but charcoal is more consistent heat, and takes less time to get a bed of cooking coal. A collapsible grill from Walmart was $18, I believe, and charcoal (I only use Kingsford, as it seems to burn better) is not expensive, either.

Enjoy your camping, whichever way you go!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question in a respectful manner (which a few others did), no, do not leave your grill on the trailer when traveling. Also, you might really think about the Weber Qs. I bought a Weber Q200 and love it. It gets hot enough to sear. It is a great little grill. I did notice the Weber Q100, 120, 200, 220, etc have now become the Weber Q1000, 1200, 2000, 2200, etc and the price went up 20 bucks for the same grill. They added a 0 to the end of each model number and a 20 dollar bill to the price. I bought the older version 200 at the old price from Academy.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the broil king porta chef, simple and folds nicely at a reasonable price, I see many other rver's using the same BBQ

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark32 wrote:
Not for transport, just wait until you crank it up, mine was'nt even really designed for BBQ'ing either!

Enjoy the adventures!

Markiemark:C

This one should get the response of the year award.. ROFLMAO..
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Steve_S1
Explorer
Explorer
tkoden wrote:
This has been a very embarrassing thread. It has been a long week with my 3 month old son up all night long. Once I posted my first comment I realized how stupid this thread was. The BBQ came with the trailer so I will use it before I decide to toss it.

If it doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions for a good gas BBQ? I like the size of the Weber Q's but they don't put out much more BTUs than my Aussie Grill does. But, maybe its more about design than BTUs. I will see how it does this weekend when we take the trailer out for the first time and I will bring my Smokey Joe as a backup.

Yeah I hear you about the stress and lack of sleep with a young one!
It only gets better as they grow up......well not always true! lol
2010 Cougar 25RL

michers
Explorer
Explorer
Only you can decide for yourself if you like it or not. You already have it, so give it a go. You might find it's better than a lot of other portable grills available. For example the Coleman tailgater grill, good idea but very low BTU.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
tkoden wrote:

If it doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions for a good gas BBQ? I like the size of the Weber Q's but they don't put out much more BTUs than my Aussie Grill does. But, maybe its more about design than BTUs. I will see how it does this weekend when we take the trailer out for the first time and I will bring my Smokey Joe as a backup.

I have the Weber Baby-Q (110 I think)and it does a great job, though I still find myself wanting to use the CG fire pit more often than not. I'll concede it's a good choice for a party of two, maybe not so much for a family. And, I think you are correct about the design making a difference. The Q is one of the very few gas grills I have owned in my life that doesn't incinerate 'skin on' chicken while it's cooking. The Q seems to have very even heat distribution and does a good overall job with whatever you cook on it.

Drippin
Explorer
Explorer
I sold the RVQ from our last trailer and bought a WeberQ. The output was a bit low but easy to fix but drilling out the gas jet just a bit. Now works like a charm.
2008 Laredo 284BHS, 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 6.7CTD, Equal-i-zer, P3, Subaru RG4300iS :B