cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sat radio antenna

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure this has been come up before but I could not find it .
Will my roof mount sat antenna work under a camper top ?
49 REPLIES 49

Capt_Eddie
Explorer
Explorer
I need to relocate the antenna on my Dodge. Any help with the Dodge setups?

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Powelligator wrote:
(Original post edited with more pictures and a better description.)

This is a simple modification for the late-model Ford Super Duty.

1. Antenna DC3Z-10E893-A $31.00
2. Cable BC3Z-19A397-A $49.00

Result: Works great when the truck is pointed in any direction.

Procedure: Disconnect factory Sirius/GPS antenna cable under the driver's side dash, about where the clutch pedal would be if these trucks were so equipped. Cool thing about this is that you DO NOT need to access the back of the factory 8" touch screen head unit, there is a convenient connector right where you need it. In the photo below the connector is the yellow plastic thing with an RF connector inside.

Connect up the new cable that you got in the parts list above, and run it through a hole in the firewall into the engine compartment. There's easy ways to do this as the factory gives us a grommetted wire harness right adjacent to the Sirius/GPS connector, that's visible in the bottom of the picture above.

Under the hood, run the cable up under the plastic shroud where the windshield wipers park. Drill a couple holes through the shroud (using the GPS antenna as a guide) and connect up the two cables. Optional: Add split loom tubing for additional wire protection, and you can re-use the factory plastic mounts that come with the cable.

Enjoy your Sirius radio with the camper on the truck as you head on down the road for more adventures! Good Luck!

Joe

Joe, did this allow the GPS to function as well? We are headed thru Canada to alaska for the summer. I don't mind going without the radio but I'd really like the GPS to function and right now its spotty with the TC on.

thanks,
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Chevy truck and it doesn't work very good, keeps cutting out. I ended up cancelling the service.

Paul

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
650cent wrote:
Powelligator wrote:

I'll be happy to post photos of the cable run under the hood if you'd like, but it's pretty easy.

Good Luck!

Joe

Perfect, post some more pictures would be great. How hard was it to plug into the nav. unit? This exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

Bill

You don't need to plug anything else in. When you plug in under the drivers side of the dash you get both the Sirius and GPS from this one location. Excellent post with pictures. There are not many more pictures he could add. It really is that simple. This is the way I did mine on my 2011 also except I didn't take any pictures of the install.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
Bouncing this topic back up as I added an edit to my original post above describing the procedure to fix this annoying oversight by the Ford Motor Company. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy, and if anybody trying this modification has any questions - feel free to ask, it's really quite simple.

-Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:

I'll be happy to post photos of the cable run under the hood if you'd like, but it's pretty easy.

Good Luck!

Joe

Perfect, post some more pictures would be great. How hard was it to plug into the nav. unit? This exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

Bill

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
(Original post edited with more pictures and a better description.)

Procedure: Disconnect factory Sirius/GPS antenna cable under the driver's side dash, about where the clutch pedal would be if these trucks were so equipped. Cool thing about this is that you DO NOT need to access the back of the factory 8" touch screen head unit, there is a convenient connector right where you need it. In the photo below the connector is the yellow plastic thing with an RF connector inside.

Connect up the new cable that you got in the parts list above, and run it through a hole in the firewall into the engine compartment. There's easy ways to do this as the factory gives us a grommetted wire harness right adjacent to the Sirius/GPS connector, that's visible in the bottom of the picture above.

Under the hood, run the cable up under the plastic shroud where the windshield wipers park. Drill a couple holes through the shroud (using the GPS antenna as a guide) and connect up the two cables. Optional: Add split loom tubing for additional wire protection, and you can re-use the factory plastic mounts that come with the cable.

Enjoy your Sirius radio with the camper on the truck as you head on down the road for more adventures! Good Luck!

Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any part numbers or where to buy Sirius antenna for a Dodge?
Thanks.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Ford I also got another antenna from the dealer and installed it. If you have the nav in your truck and want it to work when you change antennas you need to get the Ford one as the Sirius and the nav system antennas are in the same puck. I installed mine in the same place as skyhammer did on his. It is not a hard installation and on the Ford the connector for the antenna is on the drivers side right above the parking brake.

I have a Dodge now and I'm going to have to add another one to it also because of the same thing. The GPS works fine but the Sirius doesn't and well cut out when I'm heading to the NE. In all the other positions it seems to work pretty well but I hate it when it cuts out. I like to listen to classis radio with all of the old time radio programs.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I have the factory XM antennae on the roof and it works fine with our Bigfoot camper loaded. I don't know if it makes a difference because the camper is fiberglass. It has worked fine from California and Canada to Oklahoma.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
On the Fords, if you have the navigation then a standard Sirius antenna will not allow the navigation to work. I put one in the same place at the base of the windshield and it worked great.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
You can pick up antenna at Walmart or best buy.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
650cent wrote:
Since I also have an F350, do you have part numbers for the antenna and cable you used to hook it up?

Sorry, no I don't. I just went to the Ford dealer where I bought my truck.
I left the old antenna on the roof. The dealer ordered a new antenna and cable and simply unhooked the old cable and plugged in the new one.
I have the Nav system and don't know if it make any difference.
The total cost, including installation was about $350.
Most of the cost was labor, 2 hours.
I didn't feel I was competent enough to take apart the dash, so I gladly paid for the dealer to do it right.
If I had a regular cab or super cab, this probably would not work as the cab over would extend over the hood to far. Where the antenna is relocated the radio works just fine.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

kopack
Explorer
Explorer
Just detach the plug that's on the radio and put this one in it's place. It's the same connection. Also, the magnetic aerial comes with a 30 ft cable, which i fed through my passenger door around the firewall. Very easy to install. Some people have even put a steel plate atop their camper and put the aerial up top.
Kopack
2004 Chev 3500 EC D/A 4x4, 2004 Lance 1121, 2004 Lund Explorer

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you do , plug it in the back of the radio or is it wireless ?
Thank you