cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scissor Step Problem

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a used Bigfoot 25C96B yesterday and the biggest issue we have is the steps -- they are horrible.

The main problem is that no matter what we do, most of the steps aren't level.

Any suggestions?

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page
51 REPLIES 51

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
I use the Torq lift glow steps too. But mine are only 4 step NOT SIX STEPS! I"ve never seen a 6 step set. I thought my no-basement Dodge bed was high. You have changed my paradigm on how high high is. Your old steps acted like a long suspension bridge to get from A to B.
Anyway, congrats on a smooth ending to your steps.
regards, as always, jefe

Yeah, it's a long way up there - 49" to be exact. We thought our collie would refuse to climb them 'cause she's that way about steps she can see through, but she didn't hesitate.

I have a friend that has an identical truck that tows an identical 5th wheel, except his is a 3rd Generation. His is 3" lower and tows his trailer level; my trailer tows nose up.
Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

Our Arctic by RV trip

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Torq lift glow steps too. But mine are only 4 step NOT SIX STEPS! I"ve never seen a 6 step set. I thought my no-basement Dodge bed was high. You have changed my paradigm on how high high is. Your old steps acted like a long suspension bridge to get from A to B.
Anyway, congrats on a smooth ending to your steps.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

fuelhauler
Explorer
Explorer
SteveRankin wrote:
Thanks to Jay & Jennifer at TorkLift, the new 'Glow Steps' arrived this afternoon to replace the very tired steps that were the topic of this thread. The Glow Steps are perfect - rock solid steady and level.

Maximum photo width=640

Now get the tork lift hand rail that attaches to the camper & steps You'll be glad you did for added saftey.
2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to Jay & Jennifer at TorkLift, the new 'Glow Steps' arrived this afternoon to replace the very tired steps that were the topic of this thread. The Glow Steps are perfect - rock solid steady and level.

Maximum photo width=640
Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

Our Arctic by RV trip

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
I would also suggest removing one step to see if that makes any difference. I know it helped on my Bigfoot and it is on a very tall 1 ton Chevrolet. I also noticed that those steps are much narrower than mine. I think they are not the original steps as most are the same width as the entry door, and narrower would mean much less stability in the steps themselves and way harder to use. If it is not the camera making the steps appear narrower I would spring for new steps.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Just to throw out a recycled idea: Attach the deck to the rear bumper mounts instead of the TC since it is not needed when the TC is on the ground.

I use an extension bumper with my camper and I attached the scissor steps to it. I would rather have the strain on the extension bumper instead of the camper.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Bedlam
Just to throw out a recycled idea: Attach the deck to the rear bumper mounts instead of the TC since it is not needed when the TC is on the ground.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has proven to be very informative - and given us several ideas.

First, we'll attempt to repair the existing steps. It's anybody's guess whether that will be successful or not.

Second, we're working on a design for a small rear deck - roughly 80" wide & 18" long. The deck will likely be about 6-9" deep with internal storage (BBQ, Lynx Levelers, etc). We'll also add two small storage boxes to fill the space between the camper and the rear of the bed; roughly 10-11" long. We're also liking the idea of mounting a 2000i generator on a raised platform on the left side of the deck.

Structure? Either steel or aluminum framed & either plywood or diamond plate. The goal is to make it as light as possible, yet very durable and affordable. Not always an easy combination.
Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

Our Arctic by RV trip

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
Looks to me like too many steps for the height you are going .They are hitting the ground before being fully extended .

Yeah...I am with Bob on this one...too many steps.

Remove one and see how it goes.

Keep in mind; the pitch will vary at every camp site...they will likely never be "perfect".

Having said that, we switched to Glowsteps...and they are a siginficant improvement.

Good luck, B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Noted in bigfootfords porch/step linked above, looks like the OPs steps as far as amount of tread differance. I also noted the steps used for mock up, Waynes, are like my old ones with the 5 bar cross hatch instead of extruded or diamond plate steps. They are square (and mine still were) and worked well- but mostly that they are rivoted instead of bolt together.
Hoping that that isn't part of the issue, bolted instead if rivoted as my new steps are bolt together. Maybe I should hang on to our old ones?
Hmm. More I think about it rivots, though you cant tighten for wear- are swelled within hole, bolted will have .005-010 clearance differance in nominal bolt to drilled hole size? Curious how this turns out using the bushings and its a matter of excessive/enlarged holes that bushing solves. Also curious how many folks that have simular issues have bolted verses rivoted steps?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25135064.cfm

To o/p.....check out this mod that addressed the scissor step problem with a small porch on a Bigfoot camper....it was posted on this forum a couple of years ago....I think you will find it may be just what you are looking for..
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

sundowners
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
Our steps went exactly the same as OP-------the bolts were not sloppy in the holes--I did try drilling out with the next metric size and encouraging to holes to go the way to improve things-----wasn't successful----so I made some new bars to correct the top and bottom steps------straightened out the steps but the whole thing does not fold up quite as small---still fits in the camper OK to travel with no problem.
We are looking to get a solid step made, but we often park on very uneven ground so the length is a problem.
Nigel & Pamala--Lakenheath--UK

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
The time/money equation is always some kind of a conundrum. :h

I pulled one of the bolts last night. It was VERY sloppy.

Since I'm planning on building a full width step across the back of the coach, but haven't decided whether to make it above or below the basement, we won't know exactly what height steps we'll eventually need. These steps are easy to modify and remove a step or two to adjust the height.

McMaster-Carr carries bushings that should work (#2868T43 - SAE 863 Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 1/4" Shaft Diameter, 5/16" OD, 1/2" Length @ $0.54/each) as well as new nylon washers with 5/16" ID and larger OD to provide more support. The total order was $41.50 + unknown shipping charges.

I'll post photos of the steps after I've made the repairs. Hopefully, this will serve as a permanent fix.
Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

Our Arctic by RV trip

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not see the bolt holes as a high wear area. I think they were simply built with a loos fit. My 4 step setup are not loose, and they were manufactured in 1988.

I did not consider plastic bushings. You might find plastic tubing with a 1/4" ID, and simply cut to length with a box cutter. Drilling just a 1/32 oversize hole and using poly tubing as the bushings might work.

While I only know first hand of one person that drilled oversize holes, they said it worked for them. They made no mention of oval holes being an issue.

No question, a set of new and better designed steps would be the best fix. However, what would new steps cost, and do you have more time than money? You only need to drill a couple to see if the fix will work.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Good read as I have the same problem. Just been living with it.Could someone that has the double bar, as you put it, post a side picture of that? I'll go looking.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)