cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seasonal Campers - Slides In Or Slides Out?

Villain2000
Explorer
Explorer
When your not at your camper, do you retract your slides, or do you all leave them open all season long? Just wondering. My family and I are weekend warriors, so we tow back to the storage spot every weekend. Obviously, we retract the slides when in storage. Any harm, just leaving the slides out all the time when we do go seasonal next year? This is our first slide experience, so excuse me if this is a dumb question! 😉
12 REPLIES 12

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I open when I get there and close when I leave.

stevo75
Explorer
Explorer
during the season I keep them out but once winters comes or the season site closes I close them. Ice heaves cause TT to tilt one way sometimes which could result in water buildup at rubber seal which will ice and cause an ugly stream into the TT.

My neighbor left his open last winter and paid the price.

Some treatment for the rubber seal is a good idea too.
2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS (at seasonal in Maine)
1995 Trophy 2302 offshore fishing boat

Villain2000
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, sounds like better out than in......

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
I bring mine in when we are not there. We get some strong storms off the ocean. Saves on the slide awnings there have been nights when we are there that I pull them in because of the winds.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Out 'till Oct 15th

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, as long as it's sitting level, 6 months out and 6 months in. Heavy people, heavy use, not one problem.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
My observations are that slides on seasonal TTs are left in the out position all season long. I've seen some that are left that way all year long, while some are retracted. When stored on the side of my house, I typically leave the slide in the in position, unless I have a need to have it extended out, such as loading or maintenance. The slide when out extends partially into the area I need to walk around the side of the house, and makes it more succeptible to hit the slideout when hauling stuff like garbage cans out to the curb on trash day. Also, where the TT sits on the pad, it is ever so slightly tilted towards the non-slide side, so when it rains, the runoff on top of the slide would go towards the body of the TT and not away from it.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

aamyotte
Explorer
Explorer
I put my slide in. Less exposed to the weather when not in use.
Al
2011 Ford Expedition Max Limited
2006 Trail Cruiser TC23SB
Equalizer WDH

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Read your owner's manual. Mine says to keep them in when not in use, and if you are camping for extended amount of time, to slide in and back out every 30 days.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
out
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
Like Spike99 said, I open my slideouts on April 1 and close them October 15. I have had 3 different trailers with slideouts and have NOT had any problems doing this.
Spike99, the campground where I have my trailer does not allow a slideout cover like you have. They also don't allow refrigerators sitting outside. We have had a seasonal site at this campground since 1993!!:B

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

My 2006 Jayco TT is at seasonal site. Its large slide goes out on spring's opening day, remains out all summer, then slide goes back in during fall's closing day (and remains closed during winter storage months). Been leaving the slide out during summer camping months since 2008 and never had a problem.

If at seasonal site (and will never tow again), I would create a hard top slide cover, screw its top edge to the trailer's roof line using large hinges and put next size smaller pins inside the hinges. Thus, allow some natural movement - without binding its hinges. then, install 4 x telescopic steel poles - so weight of hard top cover doesn't rest on the slide's outer edge.

For a few pictures of my TT's hard top slide cover, surf:
- click here -
- click here -
- Click Here -

During winter months, simply put slide in, then release bolts on telescopic steel poles - to create steep slope on slide cover. Thus, snow slides off the slide cover. In the spring, simply raise the hard top, tighten bolt on telescopic poles, then put slide back out.

If into store bought hard cover for a slide, surf: - click here - and - click here -

Works for my 2006 Jayco TT at seasonal camp site.