cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Gen 3.5 EcoBoost and 10 Speed Transmission

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same horse power and torque is up to 450ft/lbs. Also a duel fuel system and a servo controlled waste gate.

This engine appears to raise the bar on pulling performance and fuel economy could raise the bar on gas engines.

The 10 speed appears to be equally an impressive piece that is a very compact package.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
78 REPLIES 78

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mhamershock wrote:

I had the next best thing to a nervous tranny. I had a 2010 F150 5.4 6sp. JMO but it had to be the dumbest tranny to date. No provisions for locking out OD. No +/- select on the shifter. When just cruising down a flat section of I5 and going over an overpass, it would drop from 5th or 6th to 4th then back to 5th while going over the overpass then on the downside it would go to 5th then 6th and then try and figure out if it wanted to stay in 5th or 6th all the time. I got my monies worth on that.
Now the funs over. My Cummins just loafs along in 6th. Sometimes I hit the - on the shifter to drop it into 5th just to see what it feels like. 🙂

I'm trying hard to come up with a good joke about a nervous tranny. Sumthin to do with the NRA and a Dodge Cummins. But it's been a long day at work and I'm a little slow. 🙂

Mike

My Power Stroke will loaf in 6th gear as well... Having said that my 6 speed transmission is always in the right gear and never hunts and I never use the +/- selector. I'm pretty certain Fords new 10 speed will perform the same.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer

I had the next best thing to a nervous tranny. I had a 2010 F150 5.4 6sp. JMO but it had to be the dumbest tranny to date. No provisions for locking out OD. No +/- select on the shifter. When just cruising down a flat section of I5 and going over an overpass, it would drop from 5th or 6th to 4th then back to 5th while going over the overpass then on the downside it would go to 5th then 6th and then try and figure out if it wanted to stay in 5th or 6th all the time. I got my monies worth on that.
Now the funs over. My Cummins just loafs along in 6th. Sometimes I hit the - on the shifter to drop it into 5th just to see what it feels like. 🙂

I'm trying hard to come up with a good joke about a nervous tranny. Sumthin to do with the NRA and a Dodge Cummins. But it's been a long day at work and I'm a little slow. 🙂

Mike

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding multiple gears, that doesn't necessarily mean 'hunting' will occur. The 6 speeds in my F150 and my Suburban hunt a lot less than the 'less smart' 4 speeds I had before. In our '05 Chevy, I was frequently having to manually shift from D to 3 to 2 because it would flop back and forth every 30-60 seconds. Partially because the gaps between gears were so big, probably, but the transmission didn't seem to have any programming to stop it. With my 6 speeds, I pretty much put it in D and forget about it. I would expect the 8 and 10 speeds to have similar programming.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
horton333 wrote:
Very interesting, thanks. Have to wonder at what point all those gears becomes a reliability liability as those torque numbers continue to go stratospheric and the room available stays essentially the same.

Transmission manufacturers have years and years of experience with high numbers of gears with excellent reliability. Europe (once again) has been ahead of us in this game for sometime.

For trucks they have as many as 18 gears or "speeds" with the most common now around ten. Both in Automatic, semi automatic and manual type gearboxes.

Reliability would not be my first concern.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog
Agree. I was one year before the good ones. I believe 2009-10 were the same. I will say this though, it never cam close to over heating. The trans cooler was twice as big as the one in my 08 F150 5.4. I know everyone says trannies get hot when they hunt for gears, well I guess Ford stopped that. I had a Scangage 2 hooked up and always monitored the trans temp since we do a lot of mtn towing.
As far as 10 sp go. On the fence. I imagine it would feel almost seamless when accelerating though. Not sure it will make towing any better.
My 08 had the 4sp. Compared to the 6sp in the 10 it was a relic. I towed the same trailer with both trucks. The biggest difference and really the only one, was acceleration. The 2010 6sp just felt stronger off the line. But up in the mtns they were about the same. I still need 3400rpms to be in the sweet spot when climbing. The tranny didn't matter at that point. Just needed to find the gear that would get me 3400rpms. FWIW 3.73 gears in both.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
goducks10 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
If I signed up for $40K of payments for a pickup truck with a 10 speed transmission I would want it to do lots of shifting, every trip... 🙂

:B I wonder if it would even see 9th or 10th gear in TH mode.

🙂 I'd still want it to do lotsa shifting... 583958396... revving and boosting too...

not like my stupid 6cyl 1 turbo not even variable geometry "Cummings" that you throw it in road gear towing and hardly ever shift... boring:B

Yeah 2010 was an anomaly. New trans being tested out behind the old engine without all the programming and provisions to get the most of the new trans. I drove a co workers '10 model and agree. I had the same '11 with the new 5.0 and it was completely different. In fact I think it is/was one of the best put together combos out there in light duty trucks. Was like having an Allison behind a small block. Easy to change shift parameters, lock out gears, perfect downhill downshifts with or without trailer.
Totally different.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
If I signed up for $40K of payments for a pickup truck with a 10 speed transmission I would want it to do lots of shifting, every trip... 🙂

🙂 I'd still want it to do lotsa shifting... 583958396... revving and boosting too...

not like my stupid 6cyl 1 turbo not even variable geometry "Cummings" that you throw it in road gear towing and hardly ever shift... boring:B

My Cummins just loafs along in 6th. Sometimes I hit the - on the shifter to drop it into 5th just to see what it feels like. 🙂

Good heavens be careful, drop a gear like that in a diesel and you could be redlining. I remember the good ol days in my buddies '00 cummins when he'd have to shift twice before he even cleared the intersection.:E:W
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 Speed is solely for fuel economy. Even a 6 speed is solely for fuel economy. 5 speed transmissions many times have the same gearing but with one less overdrive gear.

In fact Motor Trend stated that a 5.3L Silverado is slower with the 8 speed transmission than a 6 speed transmission. The extra gear changing, that's not overdrive gears, takes extra time obviously.

The one maker who really needed a new transmission was Dodge, but even with it's 8 speed transmission, the Ram 5.7L is still pretty slow next to any of the F150s and previous gen F150 3.5L Eco, 5.0L, 6.2L trucks, and current GMs 5.3L and 6.2L trucks. The old trans had poor gearing for performance. The new trans fixed that, but the extra gear changing didn't make it much faster.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see Ford add a couple of cylinders to the 3.5 and make a 4.6 ecoboost.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but if they had a V8 ecoboost engine, it would be awesome to have a multi displacement system that allows the truck to operate as a turbo charged 4 cylinder truck for light driving. Seems a turbo charged V4 would be able to create enough power to get a 5000 lbs truck moving along at highway speeds and be able to do it more efficiently than the current V6.

Varying the turbo's boost already gives a variable displacement (effectively).

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sport45 wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see Ford add a couple of cylinders to the 3.5 and make a 4.6 ecoboost.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but if they had a V8 ecoboost engine, it would be awesome to have a multi displacement system that allows the truck to operate as a turbo charged 4 cylinder truck for light driving. Seems a turbo charged V4 would be able to create enough power to get a 5000 lbs truck moving along at highway speeds and be able to do it more efficiently than the current V6.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS