cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sirius radio hookup

popsicleped
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a Keystone travel trailer. I am trying to find a way to install a Sirius radio antenna on the outside of the unit. The camper has what appears to be RG6 outlets on the inside by the TV and on the roof, which what I assume is used to hook up satellite or tv antenna. Is there anywhere I can utilize these outlets to run the Sirius antenna to the outside?

Thank you for your time,
Chris
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
What kind of radio is involved?

Sirius.
bumpy

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
Since I didn't use the AM/FM part of my TT's built-in stereo, and the antenna was directly above the stereo, I removed the AM antenna, fished the Sirius antenna's wire through the hole to the stereo compartment and then out a hole I drilled in the cabinet, to the car kit base. I also lucked out that the stereo had an AUX input in the back, so the Sirius car kit output goes through the same hole and plugs into the AUX input.
As BurbMan did, I also glued a fender washer(to the sub-roofing in my case). I used Dicor all around to seal it. I haven't had a leak in 4 years. Of course, I check it every year and add Dicor if it even looks as if it might leak.
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I run the slide part way out & fish the antennae lead outside, then open the slide fully.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of radio is involved?

An automotive head unit type should have a removable antenna, therefore an extended cable could be found on fleabay.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

popsicleped
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas here! Thanks! I will take a better look at what I can do in the spring. Thanks for the help

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
it may work to use the rg6 cable to hook the antenna to even with the mismatch in cables but you would have to cut the Sirius radio antenna cable and convert the ends to 'f' coax connectors the Sirius antenna cable is very thin and it would not be easy. and i do not think you will find any adapters from 'f' to the Sirius radio antenna connector.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the antenna does not have to be outside to get a signal unless your roof is metal. mine works fine inside a cabinet just below the ceiling. you may have to adjust the angle a little depending on where you are . try it inside first you have nothing to loose trying it.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
popsicleped wrote:
Hello. I have a Keystone travel trailer. I am trying to find a way to install a Sirius radio antenna on the outside of the unit.

Since my ent. cntr. is next to the dinette, I ran the portable antenna wire under a cushion into the storage compartment below where the antenna is stored. To use, I take it out through the outside cargo door and put it on the electrical box, back bumper, tongue or toss it up on the roof. Trees will block a signal and I like being able to position the antenna for best signal.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience is that the satellite radio antennae come prewired and splicing is no advised. I used a magnetic-base vehicle antenna on mine. I have a roof vent location close to where our entertainment center is, and the vent has a Maxx-Air cover on it.

I got a large fender washer and attached it to the top of the Maxx-Air cover with hot glue. This was the highest point on the trailer, and the magnet mount antenna holds nicely on the big washer. Then route the wire around the vent, and you can get past the inside flange to get the wire in the ceiling and then take it to where you need it. I brought mine down the wall of the entertainment center and left about 6" of wire on the counter top to connect the receiver when I need to. Note there is NO need to disturb any of the sealing around the vent and the roof.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Sirius antenna removable? What connector does it use, what impedance is it?

TV wiring is 75 ohm, which is seldom compatible with anything else radio based.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think you can splice the Sirius antenna cable and have it work correctly. You might be able to use your frig vent to run the cable.