Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide toppers

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all...

We are new to Travel Trailers, having come from a class A...

We have a deep, long slide on our trailer with no slide topper...

What is the general thoughts on toppers..??.. we do camp in the snow several times a year...

Thanks...

Nate
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..
28 REPLIES 28

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had 2 trailers with slides and never found a need for one. A small ladder and a broom with an extension pole is all I need.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen folks put "swim noodles" between the awning and the slide top to help support it. I don't think I would want to just let it sag under the weight of the snow. Depending on how deep your slide is there may not be enough fabric on the roll to allow that anyway.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Snow should not hurt them. There's enough extra fabric it can unroll to allow more droop.. Plywood however might, and in a windstorm the plywood could become a projectile.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

decoy1
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 35 ft 5th wheel with two slides,long and a short one with the canopys on them. My ? is this, it snows quite a bit where I have it set up and I leave the slide outs extended...what would be your ideas to keep the snow off them so the weight would not damage them?I'm thinking about taking sheets of plywood to cover them.
Thanks for any suggestions

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I think they are a better option on small slides than large ones. The large toppers can stretch over time and get floppy in the wind and rain. Stuff gets underneath them which is challenging to clean out. I prefer using a small ladder with broom or leaf blower on my large slide.

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto that they are nice to have. and they keep the sun off the slide which makes for a cooler interior, as well as no moisture inside when pulling in. I have a nylon strap that I throw over the topper when the wind is strong and it is attached to the slide support bars underneath so that the topper isn't buffeted or possibly torn by strong winds.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
nike holley wrote:
Any recommended brands/styles of topper..??..

Thanks...

Nate

Ours was dometic..free shipping which is huge on these large tubes..one of ours was like 16' and the other was 10' I believe. Also shop around..big difference in price can be found.
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine ,a few coins short of $300

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
nike holley wrote:

Thanks...

Nate

I'm really happy with my toppers from Carefree Colorado. I don't remember what they are called, but it's their newest style. But, I highly recommend getting the full guard/cover that goes over the roller tube. I keep snagging the toppers on trees, and the guards would protect against that.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks...

Nate
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I installed ours this summer..very easy to do..all parts ordered and delivered were around $600 bucks..I love them and highly recommend.
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure the Slide topper is mounted right.
When we bought our new trailer having a topper had to be part of the deal. It was installed by the dealership service department. Ten days before our warranty expired we pulled the trailer 70 miles to a camp ground,after work, arriving after dark. While setting up I was connecting the water hook up while partner let the slide room out. Slide started banging and grinding. I got him to stop about half open, and with the flashlight I saw the topper had moved out of position toward the front of the trailer by about 8 inches. The front arm hanging down by 3inches had the tube binding on the slide top flange and bent the flange. We had to leave it half open that night.We borrowed a ladder from the park the next day so we could open the slid the rest of the way out.

I called the Service department, And told them what happened, and told them that the brackets only had one screw each holding the topper in place. Service Mgr. "said that's all it came with." All though the bracket has 3 threaded screw holes it only came with one screw??? The fabric was ripped, and the side of our trailer was almost cut open.
Topper was replaced under warranty, Slide and Side repaired, and New topper has THREE screws in each bracket. I doubt I will ever open that slide again without someone watching the topper.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
They wouldn't affect the factory warranty any more than adding a regular patio awning would-which is to say not at all.
I would not have a trailer without them.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
How would adding these affect the warranty of a new TT? Would a dealer install preserve the warranty? I'm thinking they might not be a bad addition to our new Jayco.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M