cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sluggish towing with GMC Yukon

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a used 2007 Jayco Exp 17C & towed it home last night with my 2011 GMC Yukon SLT. The drive was 2 hrs & lots of hills in TN. I had the tow mode on. It seemed to struggle up the big hills. Could only do about 60mph without the RPMs going above 3500 & the truck seeming like it was really working. I went about 60-65mph & averaged just above 8mpg. The weight of the camper is about 3000lbs. I would think my Yukon shouldn't struggle at all. Don't know the axle ratio but at least my Yukon is rated to tow 7200lbs.

I tow a 19 foot bass boat with no issues. Maybe slowing in mountains for safety. I can do 70-75 no problem. Average about 12-13 mpg.

Is towing a camper that much different? Is 60mph a normal speed?

Do I need to do something to my Yukon to make it tow better? It's all factory except upgraded GMC 20" rims.

I did have a Prodigy 2 brake controller installed. Do I need a sway bar?
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C
60 REPLIES 60

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
tcc11tcc wrote:
BDGT?

The Bully Dog GT tuner that Elite 130 spoke of

http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=468

Both a customizable gauge and a tuner.

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
The BDGT is a must-have.

BDGT?
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Platinums only come in 4wd and only come with 3.357:1 final gear ratio...guessing that equates to 3.36. How do I tell if it has a HD tow package (like extra tranny cooler). Sorry dad didn't teach his daughter much about cars. I read it has autoleveling suspension. I assume that will take care of any rear sag? What kind of gas mileage towing do you get?
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
My Titan doesn't have the tow gears (I wish it had), but even without, a very good truck. The BDGT is a must-have. I used it to tow a 7500 lb trailer cross-country (and back) last year, and it pulled like a champ. Funny that even though there's no tranny temp gauge in the Titan without the "big tow" package, it still has a sensor and the BDGT picks up on it.. It was absolutely essential to know the tranny temps, and I had to rest at one point because it was getting a bit too warm.
2004 Nissan Titan

Elite130
Explorer
Explorer
tcc11tcc wrote:
Don't let me make another mistake!!! I can trade my 2011 Yukon for a 2011 Nissan Armada Platinum 4x4 (which says 9000lbs for tow capacity) and come out even. Same year, same mileage, Nissan has more options by far. Would this be a better tow vehicle for me. As I said, I don't want a truck. I tow a 19' bass boat all over the south & the camper will be towed long distances at times too. I had an Armada before the Yukon but it wasn't fancy. Towed the boat like it wasn't there. Now I am kicking myself!!!!

We had an 2004 Armada for the past 3 years and last September traded it in for a 2012 Titan. I am a Nissan fan. I love the 5.6 engine and 5-speed tranny. The 5.6 may have a few HP less than the 5.3 Chevy, but the torque blows away the Chevy at 385ft-lbs. The 5.3 power (or lack there of) is the major reason I steered away from the GM products. I live in CO, so we are already at a disadvantage when it comes to air density and both have pulled our TT (5000lb GulfStream AmeriLite, 25ft) without any problem. On the Titan I added a Bully Dog GT Tuner and an AirRaid Intake and it made the towing power even better. If I were you, I would not hesitate to get a 2011 Armada Platinum 4x4. Just make sure it has the 3.36 rear gearing (the "tow" gears) and you are good to go. You can even get the tow mirrors for a Titan that will work on the Armada as well. I did the swap and loved it. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the Armada.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
lbrjet wrote:

3.08's are terrible towing gears.

While that is not the gear I like, it should be fine for towing that RV. It's very similar to the older 4-spd trans with 4.10 axle.

That bigger issue is that you do not have the HD towing package with additional transmission cooler that is only available with the 3.42 axle. Your tow rating is under 5500 pounds.

This is a good reference thread for you.

I recommend getting a trans cooler, using tow/haul like you have, and M4. You want to cruise in the 2200-2800rpm range on flat ground and let it downshift on hills to whatever you want to hear or pay the fuel for.

May be similar in first gear but in 4th it is like having 3.55 gears, rather than the direct 4.1 on the 4 speed. This is the reason it feels sluggish.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:
That's funny... I haven't thought about that! 🙂

haha.. I have a Ninja 250, which revs much higher at lower speeds than bigger bikes, and when I'm going the speed limit in a residential neighborhood, I always get people with hands waving in the universal "SLOW DOWN" motion because of the high revs.
2004 Nissan Titan

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
chracatoa wrote:
My wife bothers me when I get to 4000 RPM in our Sequoia. It's rare, but it does happen. She thinks it's bad for the engine. The dial goes up to 7000 RPM.

haha... I get the "You're going too fast!" because it sounds fast 🙂

That's funny... I haven't thought about that! 🙂
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
I called with my Vin# & confirmed mine has 3:08 gear ratio & she said it "showed HD trailing equipment" yet there doesn't seem to be an additional tranny cooler. I would say just a hitch & wiring as it appears to me. She didn't sound real confident in her answers. After looking, my Yukon is rated for 5000lbs. I am estimating with the camper, cargo, and passengers I am pushing my tow limit. I bought the Yukon cause I didn't want a truck and it said 8500lb tow capacity. I wish I knew more than I do. I tried to look up how to calculate everything and just got more confused.

Don't let me make another mistake!!! I can trade my 2011 Yukon for a 2011 Nissan Armada Platinum 4x4 (which says 9000lbs for tow capacity) and come out even. Same year, same mileage, Nissan has more options by far. Would this be a better tow vehicle for me. As I said, I don't want a truck. I tow a 19' bass boat all over the south & the camper will be towed long distances at times too. I had an Armada before the Yukon but it wasn't fancy. Towed the boat like it wasn't there. Now I am kicking myself!!!!
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
GMT830 wrote:
Because the ads on TV say I can
That's only the Ecoboost ads your thinking of .... :B
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

smokedummy
Explorer
Explorer
I know the newer engines can handle higher revs, but I still like to dawdle along at 55 MPH and 2500 RPM. Much quieter, and I only have 3.3 L to work with (minivan). The up side is that I manage 12 MPG (if no head wind).
2012 Skyline Mountain View Retro 140, 16'.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:

While that is not the gear I like, it should be fine for towing that RV. It's very similar to the older 4-spd trans with 4.10 axle.

That bigger issue is that you do not have the HD towing package with additional transmission cooler that is only available with the 3.42 axle. Your tow rating is under 5500 pounds.

This is a good reference thread for you.

I recommend getting a trans cooler, using tow/haul like you have, and M4. You want to cruise in the 2200-2800rpm range on flat ground and let it downshift on hills to whatever you want to hear or pay the fuel for.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Silverado Quad Cab 5.3 and tow a 25 foot Rockwood (rated around 4300 pounds) and tow in the Ozarks (very hilly) with no problem. I use the tow mode, keep it around 65mph and we average 9.5 mpg's. I have the standard 18" wheels on my truck but don't think that's the issue as my 04 Avalanche with the same 5.3 had 20's and pulled the Rockwood just as well.

We have the 3.42 rear end, with a heavy duty trailering equipment package, Z71 offroad suspension as well as other goodies which I am sure help the towing situation.

I have a weight distribution hitch installed with a friction sway control as well. Hope this helps.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
tcc11tcc wrote:
lbrjet wrote:
From the description of your situation I was thinking you probably had the 3.08 gears. Now you confirmed it. I made the same mistake in 1987 and the good thing is you only make it once.

Same mistake?

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I have a yukon 5.3 with 3.73 rear. Around 5000# tt and never really get over 3k rpms. I dont hold up traffic but dont win races either.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB