cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small gas tank beef

oscar243
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have a beef with the truck makers installing small (21-26 gal.) gas tanks in half ton trucks? Had a '07 (4.7 liter)Ram with a 36 gallon tank, traded in for a '16 Ram (with 5.7 Hemi) and it has a 26 gal. tank. We were stopping for fuel every 1 1/2 hours on our trip to Florida. Can't understand their logic. Local Dodge dealer will put a 32 gallon tank on for $1500-$2000.
74 REPLIES 74

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B
the bear II wrote:
As you get older stopping every 2 to 3 hours becomes a necessity and you will begin to appreciate the smaller fuel tanks...

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
The small fuel tank / 225 range on my 2011 6.7 diesel F250 is why I sold my tow hauler trailer and traded in the F250 on a new 24 foot E450 class C with a 55 gallon fuel tank that now gives me about a 450 mile range. Driving and gassing up the small class C is so much more enjoyable and less stressful than trying to get in and out of crowded gas stations pulling a 30 foot trailer.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
NO beef at all for me. I bought the correct truck with the correct tank for me. I get about 350 miles towing before I have to fuel. Pretty much a days driving for me.

What's amazing to me is how many did not buy a truck with the correct tank. I imagine they just didn't know any better at the time.
I guess it shouldn't surprise me, many people don't just buy the truck with the wrong tank. The buy the entirely wrong truck for towing an RV.
Research and homework is a must when selecting a tow vehicle.
Unfortunately you can't just trust the dealer, most cases they just want to sell you what's on the lot. Even if the fuel tank is too small for towing an RV.

Sometimes, you cannot GET the "correct" tank. Either it simply isn't available in the configuration at all, or it is an option nobody selects, so you can't find one unless you are willing to drive 1000 miles and/or pay full sticker price.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Just think what it's like with an F350 pulling a 25,000 lb trailer. 25 gallon tank and I was getting 6 mpg going from Des Moines Iowa to Great Falls MT fighting the wind.
Torque to pull a house and fuel tank to give you a 100 mile range.

Similar to riding a Harley Sporster....lol

Not the right Sportster. Some will go 250 miles on a tank.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
"Less than a 6 pack job" That seems to describe the difficulty in terms that I can relate it to.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jamesroadking wrote:
So, how difficult is it to change out the tank on my 2011 F250 and put in a 50 gallon Titan tank? Is it a do it yourself job laying on the carport floor?

Never put in a titan tank but have dropped enough fuel tanks. If the tank is empty and you have a floor jack or 2 it’s gravy. About a 3 out of 10 difficulty and less than a 6 pack job.
If it’s full, wait til it’s empty.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jamesroadking wrote:
So, how difficult is it to change out the tank on my 2011 F250 and put in a 50 gallon Titan tank? Is it a do it yourself job laying on the carport floor?

It is easy, here is a video: Video

The worst part of the job is making the connections above the tank in very limited space. I would add one little thing and that is to make a sock from foam air filter material and tie it over the vent.

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, I don't get why people have to poo-poo other's opinions and choices.

BTW, I have the 34 gallon tank and I'm STILL looking for gas at around 200 miles. That 8.1L is thirsty.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
naturist wrote:
My rig is not as big as everybody else’s. A 5,000 lb GW TT towed by a diesel SUV that gets 14mpg towing takes me 315 miles on a 22.5 gallon tank. That’s farther than my bladder, stomach, or butt will go, so fuel tank size is never an issue. But I do sympathize with those who wish they could go farther.

There you go. My 'personal' tank capacity limits my range more than my fuel tank most times......:p

Yeah but I can empty my personal tank on any off ramp or rest area in under a minute and be back on the road before the song on the radio changes. Stopping for fuel every 2-3 hours just s ucks period. If I ran the open road more with a trailer I’d have additional fuel on board, no questions asked.

Yeah, I don't get it as to why folks seem to think the vehicle fuel tank must rule where you make your "personal" tank off load..

Gas station restrooms are the pits at best and at the worst down right revolting, some only have ONE restroom with ONE toilet which you stand in line for (hope you are not in a hurry)..

I would rather find BETTER places to off load my personal tank like rest stops, restaurants, Walmart, or most any business other than a gas station..

Plus I DO have my own personal restroom built into my TT so stopping in a parking lot can make life much better..

And while I am taking care of my personal business, I can have my 15 gallon tank pumping into my truck tank..

Absolutely LOVE our 2013 F250 with 35 gallon gas tank, made it even better with a Landscaper 15 gallon gas tank in the bed of my truck..

With the combination of the two I have just under 500 miles of driving without needing to find fuel!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah but even NOT on a road trip, the longer between fill ups, the nicer it is.....unless you like truckers and roller food! Lol
Had an old 08 Chevy work truck for a few months last year. Crew cab with the 5’ box. Had to get gas every 2 days in that thing. New Silvy work truck is only 26 gal but it gets so much better mileage. Now only filling up 2x a week max.
Love the Doge running empty. Could of done the trip to WI on 4 tanks but pretty sure I slipped an extra fillip in there.
Small tanks blow! If I didn’t talk so much chit about Fords, I’d probably buy 1 for the 48 gal tank alone!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping for a new truck (Summer of 2015), I had the choice of whatever was left, or order the next model year. Since I needed a truck now, I had to settle for the best combination of features. Mine is only missing the larger fuel tank and tow mirrors. The mirrors are an easy fix. I've learned to live with the 26 gallon tank by bringing along extra, which I may use for the generator too. As most have pointed out, I'm definitely ready for a break by the time the tank needs filling anyhow.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
NO beef at all for me. I bought the correct truck with the correct tank for me. I get about 350 miles towing before I have to fuel. Pretty much a days driving for me.

This!

I guess one should shop for correct fuel tanks and then take whatever truck is attached. Others have the ability to improve their trucks to meet their needs.

Those that use a tow vehicle for something other than an interstate queen can appreciate a larger than stock size tank.

I use may truck for way more than an "interstate queen". My deer lease camp house is 3 hours away and 30 minutes of that drive is off road that mostly gets washed away by the yearly rain. I bought a truck with a big enough tank to get me there and then some. I also use my truck around the farm, but don't really need a big tank for that.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
SuperBurb has 39 gallons on tap, but single digit mpg when towing keeps the range to a modest number.

🙂

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
oscar243 wrote:
Anyone else have a beef with the truck makers installing small (21-26 gal.) gas tanks in half ton trucks? Had a '07 (4.7 liter)Ram with a 36 gallon tank, traded in for a '16 Ram (with 5.7 Hemi) and it has a 26 gal. tank. We were stopping for fuel every 1 1/2 hours on our trip to Florida. Can't understand their logic. Local Dodge dealer will put a 32 gallon tank on for $1500-$2000.
My old beater gets 8 mpg for 200 miles range. I drive 3 hours at 60 mph and fill at close to 180 miles but have gone 200.

Fill up every 1.5 hours seems wrong.