cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smell/odor in trailer

sageless
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 33' Crossroads Cruiser TT, that is is pristine condition. We keep it stored inside when not in use. Every since we have owned it, we have noticed a very slight, but distinct odor.

Its not offensive to me, but bothers the wife. We only notice it when we first enter the trailer. When we bring things home that have been in the trailer (even for a few days), we notice the same odor. Anything absorbent like towels, fabric, clothes, etc. pick up this odor.

As stated the odor is very distinct and seems to me to be chemical in nature. I suspect it may be coming from the glue in the paneling or perhaps formalehide used in the paneling or fabrics.

When speaking to people in the RV business, most tell me the fumes from formalehide should be long gone by now.

Any thoughts about what could be causing this? And especially how to get rid of it?
21 REPLIES 21

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
roxy13019 wrote:
I might be way off, but the people we bought our first RV from kept mothballs in it. One of the first things we did was remove them all. We owned it for over a year and it STILL smelled like mothballs when we sold it.

That is one smell that does not ever go away and moth balls are TOXIC and should never be used in an RV or Home. Especially if children are involved in any way.

snip it:
...""mothballs contains 396 grams of naphthalene, which is sufficient to raise the average residential indoor air concentration to approximately 200 micrograms per cubic meter over a period of 1 year, though in small homes or apartments this would be expected to be much higher. Exposures of this magnitude are commensurate with industrial exposures to ... jet fuels.”

Babies are especially vulnerable because their bodies are less able to clear naphthalene byproducts formed in blood.

they’re a health hazard for kids for several reasons. Naphthalene exposure can cause red blood cells to break apart, a condition known as hemolytic anemia.""...

Good thing you sold it. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

roxy13019
Explorer
Explorer
I might be way off, but the people we bought our first RV from kept mothballs in it. One of the first things we did was remove them all. We owned it for over a year and it STILL smelled like mothballs when we sold it.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
AmericalVette wrote:
Last fall I tried one of the "Glade" air fresheners, the one that is powered by two AA Batteries and emits a short spray about every 30 - 45 minutes. It worked well and was very subtle and not overpowering, however, it would cause my CO detector to go off. I was really concerned there for awhile because I didn't know that was the cause until I did some reading where the issue of certain air fresheners and the detectors were addressed. I remedied that by moving the freshener to the rear of the camper and away from the detector.

I just put one in my camper this trip. It does a much better job than the Renuzit air fresheners I have been using. Don't really have much of a smell in my camper, but after hiking the trails, the dirty laundry hanging in the shower to dry when I can't hang it outside for some reason can get a little stinky. Besides, I like a nice smell.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Do you leave vents open while in storage? If not, try that. Even if not in storage, you can leave vents open with max air style vent covering. Not only does it let the TT breathe, but it keeps moisture and condensation out.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dead some thing??

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue the OP describes. This odor goes away while in use, but after sitting awhile, it comes back. If towels are other cloth is left inside, it must be washed - including things like pot holders. It was stronger when new, but it still lingers.

You are smelling the off-gassing of the cheap products used in the interior of your TT. Tank odor is very different than this. Particle board is manufactured with glue and who knows what else. Petroleum products are used in plastic and furniture - foam and covering. I don't think bowls of ammonia will help - you will be replacing one bad smell with another bad smell. You can rent a carpet cleaner and do the upholstery - I used one on the jack-knife sofa because someone spilled a beer on it. It no longer has that smell.

I never thought of charcoal - may try that. I usually open mine up on the weekends with all doors/cabinets/drawers open and run an oscillating fan. Products like Febreeze can help, the scented candle is a good idea, as long as it's not overdone.

Running the AC or using a dehumidifier can help too. You can get a small dehumidifier that stops when the the water tray is filled. Look on amazon. If you get an ozone machine like someone suggested, please let people know if it works for this issue.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I just shudder when people suggest air fresheners and fabreeze to be used in an RV. These products that are so 'overused' cause more problems with people with allergies etc. Especially when sprayed in a small enclosed RV?

If your kids or yourself have allergies you most likely do not even think about these air fresheners being the cause.

I can't even walk into a neighbors RV if they have used these odor 'masking' air fresheners. And the Fabreeze? the biggest cause of severe allergy and asthma attacks.

I found an RV for sale that I really wanted but couldn't buy it because the owner had gone postal with spraying Fabreeze all over it. I had an asthma attack after I walked 2 foot inside.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sageless
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the opinions advanced! I appreciate very much!

Here is some additional info esp in regard to the comments/questions presnted so far:

The trailer has never been smoked in

I completely flush and keep both grey and black tanks clean. Mostly use the blue liquid for the black tank.

According to Crossroads, my trailer doesn't have the vent values, but the grey tanks are vented through the roof and out under the refrigerator vent. (BTW, that was the first thing, I checked)

No dead animals (that smell would be really bad)

I keep thinking the glue and/or material has chemicals still residing.
Its really frustrating to not be able to figure this out

I will try both the Charcoal and perhaps the ammonia in a tray. The air freshener idea should help, but I would think that would only mask the odor; not eliminate it.

Perhaps an air purifier would help, but wouldn't that require ele to be present all the time?

Thanks again and keep the thoughts coming.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
After I de-winterize my trailer the smell of the RV antifreeze will linger in the trailer for 2-4 weeks. That is even after flushing all the water lines, p traps etc.
Maybe that is the odor you smell.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Search on eBay for 'ozone generator air purifier'. Handy for other odor problems you may encounter over the years...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm of the opinion it's the formaldehyde you are still smelling. My Outback is 3 years old. We've towed it many thousands of miles and sleep in it almost every night, especially in the summer. We use it a lot. We also keep it clean. We are not smokers, and other than pop-corn in the microwave or a coffee pot, we've never cooked inside either. (we have used the oven a few times, but clean it after every use if it needs it or not). So, even after 3 years, if the camper is closed up for a few days and then we open it, it STILL has that new camper smell. Not strong, but a faint smell. I don't think it's formaldehyde, I do think it's still the smell of the fibers in the carpet (as it's never been shampooed, or the smell of the couch or the cloth on the windows, or a combination of everything. (yes... after 3 years).

So I lean toward the "new camper smell" is still lingering. Possible solution? If you can keep your windows slightly cracked open and keep your roof vents open, it will help keep air circulating inside the camper. The smell may never go away, but at last the fresh air coming into the camper will continue to air the smells out so when you open the door, you might not smell it any more.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
sageless wrote:
I have a 2007 33' Crossroads Cruiser TT, that is is pristine condition. We keep it stored inside when not in use. Every since we have owned it, we have noticed a very slight, but distinct odor.

Its not offensive to me, but bothers the wife. We only notice it when we first enter the trailer. When we bring things home that have been in the trailer (even for a few days), we notice the same odor. Anything absorbent like towels, fabric, clothes, etc. pick up this odor.

As stated the odor is very distinct and seems to me to be chemical in nature. I suspect it may be coming from the glue in the paneling or perhaps formalehide used in the paneling or fabrics.

When speaking to people in the RV business, most tell me the fumes from formalehide should be long gone by now.

Any thoughts about what could be causing this? And especially how to get rid of it?

You may want to read a thread that I started HERE. Read it through to the end on page 2 where I updated.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I tried one of the "Glade" air fresheners, the one that is powered by two AA Batteries and emits a short spray about every 30 - 45 minutes. It worked well and was very subtle and not overpowering, however, it would cause my CO detector to go off. I was really concerned there for awhile because I didn't know that was the cause until I did some reading where the issue of certain air fresheners and the detectors were addressed. I remedied that by moving the freshener to the rear of the camper and away from the detector.
Times fun when you're having flies!

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Find your Mechanical Plumbing Vent and replace it. Look in your sink cabinets.
Lowes has them for 6 bucks. Your odor will disappear .