cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So who will be first with an electric pickup. And when.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Ford plans US$11 billion investment for 40 electrified vehicles by 2022. Link below.

https://www.bnn.ca/ford-plans-us-11-billion-investment-for-40-electrified-vehicles-by-2022-1.968176
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
106 REPLIES 106

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Put a canbus link in and an EV toad can self brake and help accelerate the MH.

Or put motors on a towable axle and link to the tow vehicle PCM. Propulsion and regenerative braking using house batteries.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
So far as I am aware there are zero EV's that can be towed 4 down.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
Someday cars will pull the electricity out of the pavement. Much like cell phones on a surface charger. No plugs. They can go for days, and batteries for the back roads. 1000 hp motors and 100%torque at no rpm. It will be amazing, I hope to see it.

And this will help global warming and the environment in what way? 🙂

Yah. Most people we know don't buy EV's for enviromental reasons. Kind of a myth out there among non EV drivers. Most of us drive them because we like the driving experience. Too each his own.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Fredetteb wrote:
With all this talk of electric/hybrid tow vehicles I'm surprised I don't see more EV's being used as toads. Recharging batteries as they follow behind a motorhome, no worries about trans fluid or transfer case disconnects. To me that's where EV's should be shining. With the popularity of golf carts especially in retirement communities, I see a vast niche that a pure EV could fill.

I suppose I'll just wait for Tesla et al to call me so I can offer my services as consultant. For a fee of course $ 🙂 $

We tow an EV as a toad but unfortunately it has to be on a trailer. Bummer. We have an EVSE (charge station) installed in the motorhome though. Works well for us.

Fredetteb
Explorer
Explorer
With all this talk of electric/hybrid tow vehicles I'm surprised I don't see more EV's being used as toads. Recharging batteries as they follow behind a motorhome, no worries about trans fluid or transfer case disconnects. To me that's where EV's should be shining. With the popularity of golf carts especially in retirement communities, I see a vast niche that a pure EV could fill.

I suppose I'll just wait for Tesla et al to call me so I can offer my services as consultant. For a fee of course $ 🙂 $
Full-time RV'ers
2008 Ford F-450.
Custom rear seat platform for the dogs.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana 381TH

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for the correction on Ford ownership of Volvo.

I still want a self driving electric RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
Someday cars will pull the electricity out of the pavement. Much like cell phones on a surface charger. No plugs. They can go for days, and batteries for the back roads. 1000 hp motors and 100%torque at no rpm. It will be amazing, I hope to see it.

That "Someday" will cost TRILLIONS of dollars to tear up, install the mechanicals for charging and re-pave the 2,678,000 miles of paved roadways in the USA.

😉
Ray

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
jrp26789 wrote:
It will be shortly after we'll all using jetpacks for commuting. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:

And this will help global warming and the environment in what way? 🙂

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Ford dumped Volvo to a Chinese company in 2010.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/29/business/global/29auto.html
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
memtb wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I believe Ford owns Volvo. Volvo has a full slate of electric vehicles coming down the pipeline.

"Jul 5, 2017 - Volvo Cars on Wednesday became the first mainstream automaker to sound the death knell of the internal combustion engine, saying that all the models it introduces starting in 2019 will be either hybrids or powered solely by batteries."

If they’are as reliable as Chinese dry cell ( a,aa,c,d, etc.).....it may not get out of the driveway! 🙂

Do you mean batteries like the Amazon brand? 🙂

“Prexactly “! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I believe Ford owns Volvo. Volvo has a full slate of electric vehicles coming down the pipeline.

"Jul 5, 2017 - Volvo Cars on Wednesday became the first mainstream automaker to sound the death knell of the internal combustion engine, saying that all the models it introduces starting in 2019 will be either hybrids or powered solely by batteries."

If they’are as reliable as Chinese dry cell ( a,aa,c,d, etc.).....it may not get out of the driveway! 🙂

Do you mean batteries like the Amazon brand? 🙂

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
memtb wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Ductape wrote:
memtb wrote:
When: They can tow 20K lbs, with a minimum of 400 miles between charges....and you can re-charge in 15 minutes or less! 🙂

What about all those Chevies with 26 (?) gallon tanks? 😉
My truck goes 175-200 miles max when towing. One fill en-route is usually enough. If that fill took an 60 to 90 minutes I would be OK as the price is under $1 per gallon for equivalent miles. The second fill on the road would be a bit much. However recharging overnight in the campground would be great.

I have been driving an EV since May 2011 and I agree the battery technology can still use some improvement for long distance towing. Day to day use the EV is wonderful. Zero maintenance, just some warranty repairs and tires so far. Repair expenses could make a diesel owner balk but they seem to be infrequent and should come down with higher production.

Re-charging in campgrounds is nice.... unless you boondock. I guess that we will be limited to areas were there are an abundance of “current bushes”! :h

We’ll, most campgrounds don’t have gas stations either soooo what do you do now.

Try “not” to use campgrounds :B. If we must.... we usually find an extra 15 minutes and a fuel station somewhere along the highway! 😉
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl