cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sorry... another wheel chock question

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
Been researching wheel chocks, and I bet I've read 50 different threads from all sorts of forums. Still have a couple of questions (coming from someone whose trailer has not left their driveway yet.

My trailer came with 2 of the camco plastic wedges, and to be honest - its downright scary to be in the trailer when unhooked from the TV (I have to use 4 2x8's under the tongue as my TV is quite tall).

After some extensive research, I really am interested in the Fastway ONEstep type chocks vs the "X" style chocks. Let me break it down, and hopefully you all can chime in and help me decide.

Fastway: Super simple to use, fast to deploy, I like that I won't have to crouch down to install/remove. But - I believe they have issues on non-level ground, and how well do they work if I'm on the legos?

X Chocks: Very well reviewed, they seem to make the most sense from an engineering standpoint, and I like that they aren't on the ground at all (not wet, muddy, sinking, etc). But, I'm hearing you still need regular chocks with them (at least to hook/unhook), and there are a few stories of them bending or not locking properly. I somewhat take that with a grain of salt though, as I'm sure if I look hard enough, I could find a story about an aluminum chock starting on fire and burning down a school full of orphaned mermaids under the sea.

Then there is the good ol' fashioned rubber triangle chocks. I'm talking the style used at truck stops. 10 inches wide, 8 inches high, weighing in at 8 pounds apiece with an eye bolt on the side. Just solid, no-slip, no crush rubber. After hearing the one-in-a-million horror stories of other chocks not living up to their name (or price) - I'm wondering if I just drop $30 on 4 of these (Northern is having an awesome sale at the moment)

With all of those thoughts typed out, what do the seasoned RV'ers recommend? Do I keep my little plastic chocks for (un)hooking from the TV, while deploying dual X chocks? Should I stick with the most basic of the 3 and grab the rubber? Or do I do something like get 1 X chock, and 1 Fastway (deploying the X on the leveled side)? Really want to get this taken care of before the first trip next weekend.

As always, thanks in advance!
53 REPLIES 53

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
There was a pretty good discussion on X-chocks a coupla weeks ago, I think.

Hard to believe it's necessary to repeat ad nauseam as we did in this recent rv.net discussion that Norco's BAL X-Chocks, despite being called "chocks", are not intended to be used to secure a trailer to prevent it from shifting. Every box of X-Chocks includes a warning note to this effect so how anyone rely solely on X-Chocks as chocks is mind boggling. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camco yellow, cheap, plastic chocks. Home made Andersen type levelers.
I would always use chocks, whether I had X-chocks or some facsimile of such.
There was a pretty good discussion on X-chocks a coupla weeks ago, I think.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
i use 6x6 treated lumber, cut at 45s for chocks. I have another 6x6 to put under the tongue jack (maybe 8-12inch length), 4 small 2x4 squares go under the corner stabilizer jacks, and 2 extra 2x8s if i need to level side to side or need some extra height somewhere.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a scrap piece of 4x4 , cut a bunch of pieces 6 inches long at a 45 degree angle on each end . Can be used as chocks and can be placed under corner jacks and tongue jack . If I loose one , ain't no big deal , I carry eight or ten !

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
BAL standard locking chock is all you need. If you go up on two Legos, just put two more between the tires under the chock. I use a pair of these because I am over cautious about safety.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a pair of the yellow wedges on each side. They are to keep the TT from moving. They do not stabilize the TT, I use the corner scissor jacks for that.

I have found that rock steady and perfectly level are terms not often associated with TTs.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I ran out and picked these up for the time being: Northern Tool Wheel Chocks

Night and day difference between the rubber chocks and the plastic ones. I'm actually going to consider doing without the addition of the BAL's for the time being. In my driveway, everything feels rock solid. Taking the trailer out next weekend, so I will get a feel for how it actually works in the wild.

NorthTrail23
Explorer
Explorer
We use the fastways - I think theyre the best accesseory weve ever purchased for the trailer. Youre right that they need a fairly level surface so if the trailer is raised on pads the area between the tires has to be raised too; not hard, just requires a few extra pads/blocks. They are incredibly fast to deploy and remove just seconds and are incredibly secure.
Terry, Sindee and Ranger
Ontario, CAN
2014 Heartland North Trail 23rbs
2016 Ram Big Horn

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
One vote here for the One Step chocks. Been using those for a couple years and am very happy with them. Prior to getting this 5er, we used a home made set of x chocks that I was very happy with. This trailer came with wheel spacing that precluded the x chocks so I got the Fastways, I love them. Simple to use and no problem in dozens and dozens of uses, one on each side.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
It's downright scary to me when I read how many people rely solely on X-chock style. Doesn't anyone read directions anymore?

You need wedge chocks, and not necessarily expensive ones. I just use wood that I've cut an angle on. A couple different styles I always carry.

Never needed more than 2 on a 2 axle trailer, and unless the site is very bad, I only use one. And bad sites are pretty common for us, because we boondock in FS sites or dispersed camps.

Thats pretty funny.... Your suppose to use 4 chocks each time according to the reading folks. Don't worry though I just use X wheel chocks I don't read either ๐Ÿ˜‰ LOL.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
It's downright scary to me when I read how many people rely solely on X-chock style. Doesn't anyone read directions anymore?

You need wedge chocks, and not necessarily expensive ones. I just use wood that I've cut an angle on. A couple different styles I always carry.

Never needed more than 2 on a 2 axle trailer, and unless the site is very bad, I only use one. And bad sites are pretty common for us, because we boondock in FS sites or dispersed camps.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has a variety of sizes of rubber chocks, so you can get the size that you want. I have found I like them better than the plastic ones, because I have seen the plastic ones slip, especially on gravel or concrete pad. I use the X chocks for stability... it helps with the bounce from walking around inside, especially when my mom who has replacement knees and walks a bit heavy is with me. If I am just staying in trailer for a single night, I usually don't bother with X chocks, but always use the rubber ones..

I also use the Andersen Levelers with their chocks.. makes leveling easy and I am a bit more confident in those than the cheap yellow plastic chocks..
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the X wheel Chocks. Never had a problem don't see how you could, if they are locked in place. But I guess anything is possible. I level put the X chocks on and then disconnect easy as that. I cannot see how they could roll off the wheels without someone attaching a truck to the rig and pulling them off. Just can't see it. Maybe a huge party in the rig with dancing and all the people jumping up and down and side ways might get them off of there but I never do that so I feel safe ๐Ÿ™‚

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I got the HF rubber chocks and drilled a hole in the end and put eyebolts in for handles. Don't make the mistake of confusing the purpose of "x"chock products vs wheel chocks. "X" chocks are for stablization, wheel chocks are to keep your trailer from rolling, neither will do the other's job you need both. If you have 4 wheels you need 4 wheel chocks.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
These are the best IMHO

Laminated Wheel Chock

Very secure...I use these and the trailer will not budge.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~