cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SRW or DRW??

obie311
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife likes a 5'er with a 16300# GVWR. Contemplating a RAM or GMC Diesel tow vehicle. Am I in DWR territory for sure? I don't want to strain drivetrain components or have white knuckle towing experiences.

Thanks for any advice.
64 REPLIES 64

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
transferred wrote:
dbbls wrote:
Once you tow with a dually you will never go back to a SRW.

Not true.

X2. I hate when people say this. Not all of us need or want training wheels.

Me either.. HATED my dually.

I would own a SRW 3500... but would prefer to choose my loads so I don't need a dually.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you load to the gills you likely won't be anywhere near GVWR. That said, I regularly tow 1-3k more than your GVWR with a SRW and never a "white knuckle moment." Am also under on my truck's GVWR, tire rating, and axle ratings. Being at or close to ratings is nothing to fear but if you read long enough on any RV forums you will come to the conclusion that a DRW is needed for anything beyond a pop up. Take all advice you get with a grain of salt....
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
transferred wrote:
dbbls wrote:

Not true.

:B

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:

X2. See my signature. Do I need a dually? Nope.

Do I love having one?? YES, YES YES.

Would never have any different.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go with a motor home and pull a toad before I would deal with a dually like I use my SRW. I would down size the trailer first. My Truck runs every day and a low percentage of actually towing.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think SRW would work but that is a big trailer, so DRW might work better. If it were me I'd downsize the trailer some and get SRW cause they're so much nicer to live with when not towing. I see lots of DRW pickups on the freeway and highway, but once I get off the beaten path a bit where I like to camp and play I see remarkably few of them. Especially for a later season elk hunt where weather is a factor.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
dbbls wrote:

Not true.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We love our 3500 SRW Silverado, but you are way too heavy with the unit you are considering. You will need the DRW if you go that route.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How many people do you hear complaining about having too much truck? ๐Ÿ™‚

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
If you have to ask, you need a dually!

and/or when in doubt DUALLY
The Palmers

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:

Not true.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dully, you'll never regret it towing!

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
obie311 wrote:
Wife likes a 5'er with a 16300# GVWR. Contemplating a RAM or GMC Diesel tow vehicle. Am I in DWR territory for sure? I don't want to strain drivetrain components or have white knuckle towing experiences.

Thanks for any advice.

Do the math, but you are probably in DRW territory. Be sure to include all people, hitch, animals, and anything else you might carry in the truck. Adds up quick.

I mainly note a difference between my SRW and DRW in turning corners. The DRW doesn't get pushed around.

You will love your new GMC.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I prefer to stay with a SRW. But with that weight trailer the pin weight is almost for sure in DRW territory. The newer trucks payload capacity has increased a lot the last few years, probably not enough for a SRW for that trailer.

I agree with BB. I've had both for hauling the same 18,000 lb. loaded toy hauler. An F350 SRW and an F450 later on. The only reason we went to a dually was because the pin weight was so heavy. Stability for either trucks was great, even in a wicked storm on our first trip with the camper and F350.

But your choice of camper is highly likely to be too heavy for the rear axle of an SRW truck to safely tow over time.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I prefer to stay with a SRW. But with that weight trailer the pin weight is almost for sure in DRW territory. The newer trucks payload capacity has increased a lot the last few years, probably not enough for a SRW for that trailer.