cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stealth slideouts (TC usable with the slideout IN)?

udp8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Are there any TCs on the market that are usable when the slideout(s) is/are in the closed position?

You know, for those times when you are in a crowded parking lot and want to get into the TC but cannot pull the slideout out. I know you can *SQUEEZE* into any closed slideout, but I'm talking something that's more usable than that.

Is the only choice a TC with no slideouts?
26 REPLIES 26

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Our Eagle Cap 950 is often used very successfully when the outdoor temps are 20 degrees or much lower down into the below zero Temps. Having much less total area to heat works well. All that is really necessary is that the bathroom access is easy, in our case a sliding door does the trick.

We are often happier winter campers by closing the Slide out with our Slide out remote controller.

Gary & Laurii

Stanley,IDAHO
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
This is stealth camping. Pull into a Home Depot with a clapped out class B, then throw a cammy tarp over it so no one can see it (and it won't leak):

I don't see anything!! Just a bunch of brush. :W
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
HMS Beagle wrote:
This is stealth camping. Pull into a Home Depot with a clapped out class B, then throw a cammy tarp over it so no one can see it (and it won't leak)

They should have used a bigger tarp. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
This is stealth camping. Pull into a Home Depot with a clapped out class B, then throw a cammy tarp over it so no one can see it (and it won't leak):

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Big_Rig1
Explorer
Explorer
We have used our AF990 many times with the slide in & it is fully usable but to make it a little easier to access the bathroom I move slide out 2 or 3 inches & it is hardly noticable. Done it in parking lots & on residential streets.

Big Rig (John)
04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the OP wasn't really interested in that kind of stealth. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think he just wanted to know if he could use a TC when he didn't have room to open the slide.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

I do look at it differently.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Are you really anymore stealth with the lights on and slide in vs out?
IMO who cares. If you're not supposed to park there then it don't matter anyway....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
Our AF1150 is quite useable with the slide in. It is a bit tight between the dinette and the bathroom, but it is workable. Plenty of room in the kitchen. We leave it in when stopping during the day, when stealth camping, or when the weather is very cold.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The AF811 is a little tight between the bathroom wall and dinette table, but otherwise fully functional (tall step up to the dinette when closed). I can deploy my slide even with a typical sedan next to me and it easily clears its roof (found this out after someone decided to park next to me under my slide). I usually look for an end spot where the slide will be over an island and I will never sandwich my self between two cars in a parking lot.

2x on our EC. In fact when bitter cold we may leave the slide in to retain some warmth. But totally functional with slide in...having said that, other than cold...why would you leave it in?
Parking space never been an issue.

Agree with Bill on the usable comment, but have to say that it is a bit awkward. Does help with saving heat in a cold situation.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am 210lb and have no problem to get into my camper with slide in.
The narrow point is between corner of slide and countertop but other than gaining floor space for walking, the camper is fully usable.
I kept the slide in in freezing temperature for better heat efficiency.
On other hand was checking big trailer, what was park model. Slide switch was inside and I had to hyperventilate for a moment becouse the passage between the walls require holding my breath and squeezing my belly inch by inch.

Sheepdog_Captai
Explorer
Explorer
Adventurer 80GS. The camper is a little on the "cozy" side but that's part of what makes it a lighter rig. With the slide in it is still very accessible; makes it handy for loading/unloading, lunch stops and stealth camping.
2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Ext Cab Long Box 6.6L Diesel
2011 Adventurer 80GS Camper
2002 Aquasport 215DC Osprey Sport Boat

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
...or, just get a non-slide camper. Tough to do these days, I realize, when you get into the larger models.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
udp8 wrote:
I've never owned a TC but when viewing them, there generally appears to be only a few inches of space to *squeeeeze* inside.

Just for a little more info ... for my TC, the back of the dinette is what makes the door at the gap the smallest. However, just past that it's pretty open.

Look at this picture and imagine what it would be like with the slide in with the back of the dinette closer to the bathroom door which is on the right. I think can imagine a lot of open space.