cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing generators when traveling?

Freeborn530
Explorer
Explorer
Recently acquired two Yamaha portable generators. I have a crew cab truck and usually keep propane grill, chairs in the back ... Should I keep the generators in the camper when on the road, for example stopping for shopping? Or in the back seat area covered by tarp?
46 REPLIES 46

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Here’s how you do it in a Northern Lite

That’s the setup right there! You could even bring just one and store a fuel jug there.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s how you do it in a Northern Lite
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I just ran a bowl of fuel through my EF1000IS. When the bowl was empty and generator cold I closed off the tank cap and put it back from where I got it: on the floor in the cab behind the drivers seat.

Never have had a 'fume' issue with carrying it in the cab, but then again Oregon is not known for its hot weather. 🙂

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Both ideas will have gasoline fumes issues.
I carry my Honda 3000 of front hitch and not only that solves all safety issues, but also helps in keeping COG more forward.

No, it won't. .

When was the last time you had above 120F inside your cabin, or inside the camper?
When gas fumes in cold weather don't make much issue, where I live and travel - plastic gas cans turn into balloons when left unattended.
Your replies always seem to be shortsighted.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one gen at a size that fits in the gen compartment. Less is more when the goal is to live simple and free while camping. I charge batteries is all. Camping in mountains keeps me free from needing A/C, away from the telephone and internet. Nice break from it all.

Often I need the front bumper to get close to something around me in order to turn around. I would not want to forget that gen is up front where I can't see it and crunch it. I wouldn't want it exposed to all the bugs and dust either.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I carry my Honda in the right side rear box that was designed for the Onan generator option.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Both ideas will have gasoline fumes issues.
I carry my Honda 3000 of front hitch and not only that solves all safety issues, but also helps in keeping COG more forward.

No, it won't.
But to the OP, any suggestion will bring out a detractor as to why it's wrong or dangerous. Not sure how some people on here can actually get out of bed without being afraid for their lives.
1 other suggestion, if your camper has the room, I built a shelf in the overhang area of the "wing" in back. Generator strapped in there, chained into tiedown eye in truck bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We keep it in the truck bed but it has a chain connected to the 5th wheel hitch and then covered with a box to keep it out of sight and keep the weather off it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
..I don't know about the Yamaha but the Honda has a cap adjustment to illuminate any fumes and it works....

Yamaha 2000 generators have the same vapor sealing fuel caps as the Hondas.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Freeborn530 wrote:
Recently acquired two Yamaha portable generators. I have a crew cab truck and usually keep propane grill, chairs in the back ... Should I keep the generators in the camper when on the road, for example stopping for shopping? Or in the back seat area covered by tarp?

I keep my Honda in the camper...There light weight and easy to lug around..I also wouldn't hesitate to put it in the back seat with me either..I don't know about the Yamaha but the Honda has a cap adjustment to illuminate any fumes and it works....
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Class C doesn't overheat. 207 is about as high as it gets. If I'm in the mountains I've seen 215 briefly.

The generator on the front restricted the air flow so I was reading 227, after driving on the flat for an hour. My opinion was that was too high.

It's too bad it did not work out for me.

Kayteg1 wrote:
Obviously when you have truck prone to overheating - that might not be good option.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how carrying something with a gas tank out in front of the bumper solves all safety issues . Prior to 1973 all 3truck makers had the gas tank in the cab behind the seats . Not the best but not the worst either . As mentioned earlier , where ever it is it needs to be secured .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
If you put a MicroAir on your AC, you should only need one 2,000 cc generator. When you carry a generator in the cab, run a ratchet type strap through the handle and hook the strap to the seat mounting hardware to prevent the generator from becoming a projectile.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freeborn530 wrote:
... Should I keep the generators in the camper when on the road, for example stopping for shopping? Or in the back seat area covered by tarp?
Some folks do carry their generators inside the cab of the truck while driving. Me, I'd never do it. A very bad collision or rollover could easily turn those generators into projectiles---not to mention the general risk imposed by the generator's fuel tank being located inside the passenger compartment---especially during a serious accident. Like Kayteg1, I'd vote for the front of the truck (best weight distribution) or the outside rear. Maybe the inside of the camper as a last resort.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously when you have truck prone to overheating - that might not be good option.
With my set I drove to Death Valley couple weeks ago, where I recorded 124F.
The return trip is quite a mountain climbing so engine got hotter than usual.
Ford pops digital display when engine gets hot, so mine never went above 220F, when I was pushing 60mph on steep grade.
The radiator fan never come on.