cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Supporting camper with cinder blocks??

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
For my 2008 Lance 1181, is it appropriate to store the camper on cinder blocks on all four corners, with a 2x8 across the blocks, so the bottom of the camper is supported?
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ LBCC DRW
2008 Lance 1181
2021 Thunder Jet Alexis Pro 22.
23 REPLIES 23

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
I'd slap up a picture but it's just 3 blocks on each corner and I strung a 6 foot 2x10 across the tops, front and rear. Seems to have done the job nicely. camper is solid as heck, and not going anywhere. Now to get it covered this week.
2008 Lance 1181

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
K Mac wrote:
Just make sure the cells (holes) are vertical as in the Spectra pic. :
Exactly! That way they could probably hold a house up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Or a 3 story building including the concrete floors such as your kids school.

But they are no longer called or made of "cinder blocks" They are "Concrete Masonry Units" and quite capable of holding up any camper.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Cinder blocks are for supporting Camaros in the weeds, not anything of value.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
I got it supported. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I appreciate it.
2008 Lance 1181

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
On my 12' campers I observed that about 70% of the weight goes on front jacks and also water tank is placed there, when at 1 point my floor started separating under tank weight.
So I always support front floor edge of my campers, when big aluminium bumper was giving enough stability for rear, jack-only support.
Having some water damage of front/lower wall on my Fleetwood, during the repair I noticed how the frame members sag over the years under camper and possible ties load.
So I always split the front weight between lower floor support and jacks to keep the front square.
It also helped to have floor support when rain soften the soil and jacks sunk.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
For our Bigfoot, I made a "pallet" consisting of (3) 4x4 supports topped with 3/4" PT plywood. The top of the pallet matches the bottom of the camper. The 4x4's are placed as per Bigfoots instructions. I have a 1" ploy iso foam board on top of the pallet to allow for some cushion. The 4x4's are supported on each end by aluminum jacks stands which are of top of 8"x16x4"solid cement blocks. I just lower the camper down, level it so that it is very close to the pallet. Then just raise each of the 6 jacks so the pallet is supporting the camper. Then I raise the camper jacks and then lower them to "assist" with taking some of the load. I've had no problems with this storage, the camper is 12-14" off the ground and is very stable.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 4x4 about 4' wide side to side front and rear, with screw jacks on top of 2x8 pieces that we had laying around from the tow behind camper days. The screw jacks make it easy to adjust them and the 2x8 pieces soak up the bug spray to stop intruders from coming in.

this is in addition to the 4 camper legs.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had mine, I used PT 6x6 that I had acquired for free from CL. When placed on the timbers and the jacks lowered down atop log blocks it was super stable:

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 4 cinder blocks, one at each corner. I run a 4x4 side-to-side across each pair of blocks, then a pair of 2x10's running front-to rear on top of the 4x4's. This keeps the camper close to the ground so I don't need steps to get in/out.

The 2x10's go in the truck bed with the camper for bed rail clearance, so I only have to move 4 blocks and 2 4' 4x4s.

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
I use jack stands, with 2x10 across the bottom of the camper. I only do it when it stored for a long period of time.
John M

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why would you think cinder blocks are any less appropriate than any other means to support the camper while it's in storage? As long as you lay them right way up, they'll work as good as anything else that's capable of supporting the weight.

The options to provide extra support during long term storage are endless. You can go as sophisticated or as crude as you want as long as what you use is stable and capable of holding the weight.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve used small screw jack stands that store inside themselves with boards to add stability. Others have used plywood cut in an X with plywood on top. I think it all depend on the structure underneath your TC how much it needs supported, and whether you want to take it with you.

These are the ones I use that are $35 or so on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000760FWU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1mKXFbNX9F24W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

YMMV, but my TC has been supported on the jacks when off the truck for 14 1/2 years for most of the time with no issues so far.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
I am thinking of making wooden saw horse type stands only because im old and dont like hauling 12 cinder blocks every time I take it on or off haha

Steve

Me too. They keep getting heavier and heavier.

Fortunately I only took my camper off twice this year.

The previous owner added this to the bottom of the camper. I would guess it was for bedrail clearance. It works for my truck too.

So I don't put any boards between the blocks to rest the camper on.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.