cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector?

turtletalk
Explorer
Explorer
Should I be using a surge protector at home and in campgrounds? What kind,etc..??
16 REPLIES 16

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
I have been using a 30 amp Hughes Autoformer w/surge for many years with my trailers but not so much with the TC because I boondock with my Honda 2k.
On a few occasions , I have used it with the TC at CG's but not often.
I don't know if it's good or not so good but it's heavy.

Anybody have comments about it please let me know. Good or bad .
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-3-600-watt/72454

Bob
It serves a very useful function of boosting low voltage and it does have spike/surge protection. It does not have full power protection like not connecting power with a faulty plug. Given your limited use of shore power there is less reason to add a full protector.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I saw the "in CGs". 240V wiring is only one cause. I've encountered 2 reverse polarity plugs. But I'm not aware of any stats or reports concerning miswired plugs in CGs or otherwise.

Bob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Not as many miss-wiring issues with 30A in CGs vs what can happen with 50A.
In my experience a 30A plug is more likely to miswired and the reason is very simple. A 30A RV plug is not a standard household plug and it looks very much like the common 240V 3 wire home dryer plug, unfortunately.

The 50A plug is a standard household plug.

But any plug can be miswired

Noted the 'bold print'.......

Also note the rest of my post:
Disclaimer:
30A outlet at a friends place (or even your own if not properly wired) could be wired for 240V (2 hots/1 common). That is due to 30A household being typically wired for dryers/air compressors vs an RV.
Electricians have been know to mess that up.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Not as many miss-wiring issues with 30A in CGs vs what can happen with 50A.
In my experience a 30A plug is more likely to miswired and the reason is very simple. A 30A RV plug is not a standard household plug and it looks very much like the common 240V 3 wire home dryer plug, unfortunately.

The 50A plug is a standard household plug.

But any plug can be miswired

Bob

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using a 30 amp Hughes Autoformer w/surge for many years with my trailers but not so much with the TC because I boondock with my Honda 2k.
On a few occasions , I have used it with the TC at CG's but not often.
I don't know if it's good or not so good but it's heavy.

Anybody have comments about it please let me know. Good or bad .
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-3-600-watt/72454

Bob

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the Progressive Industries 30A unit and now feel confident when hooking up in campgrounds. I have a friend that used nothing and has relplaced 2 refrigerator circuit boards (expensive).
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Progressive with our teardrop trailer and use whole house and individual surge suppressors on computers and appliances. Lightening strike have cause damage to neighbors computers and appliances.

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Every camper we've had have been 30 amp only and use surge protector ALL THE TIME THEY'RE PLUGGED IN. Went horse camping at really nice place and started looking for spot by testing each box with it, ended up only two in the whole place were safe to use. Our camping friends didn't have one and almost plugged in until we warned them, loudly, to hold up. When we found a safe one then they used it to test for a safe plug. Of course we didn't let them use it while there but they learned a valuable lesson for free.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I dont leave home without my 30 AMP Surge Guard protector. It saved my electronics just a few months ago at a Pa. State Park. My neighbor wasnt using any protection the night we had a thunder storm and the next morning he felt like crying. I escaped with no damage.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
nomad297 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If rig is 50A and you go to numerous CGs...yes

Progressive Industries......Lifetime warranty. Others only 1 year.

Why do you only suggest it for a 50 amp RV? Why not for the 30 amp, also?

Bruce

'Protector' is beneficial whether 30A or 50A.
Just a matter of preference as to cost/benefit
30A.....loss of neutral----no power or very low voltage (50A end up with 240V and fried electronics)

Not as many miss-wiring issues with 30A in CGs vs what can happen with 50A
Although high/low voltage can occur regardless of amp service

Disclaimer:
30A outlet at a friends place (or even your own if not properly wired) could be wired for 240V (2 hots/1 common). That is due to 30A household being typically wired for dryers/air compressors vs an RV.
Electricians have been know to mess that up.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very happy with my 30 Amp Progtressive Industry unit with a lifetime warranty. And it is made in America. Camping World has these but you will need to order it. I bought mine when they had a sale.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'll give, I use one with my 30 amp RVs.
bumpy

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If rig is 50A and you go to numerous CGs...yes

Progressive Industries......Lifetime warranty. Others only 1 year.

Why do you only suggest it for a 50 amp RV? Why not for the 30 amp, also?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

oweninthekeys
Explorer
Explorer
The best explanation I have ever read. Wish everyone that purchases a RV would take the time to read it.

DutchmenSport wrote:
Interesting? I posted question a few days ago. Click here.

First! You really do not NEED a surge protector..... but! If you've ever had any electronic equipment in your home go "poof" in the night, you'll understand the need for one. Now, add to that a few thousand dollars for replacing the electronics in your camper, and wisdom will dictate your answer. The fact you asked the question at all, the answer is quite obvious ... "yes" YOU do. Your mind and heart will not be at ease now, ever again, until you get one!

Second. Whenever your camper is plugged in, anywhere, if you have a protector, plug it in! That's what you will have it for. You never know when you might get an electric spike, or low voltage, or anything that could cause your electronics to go "poof"! Power Surges, low voltage occurrences are not pre-determined, timed events. They occur whenever ... and usually when it's not convenient or a good time! Nothing worse than having your camper go "poof" the morning you plan to head out!

Third. Brand, type, style? Well, any protection is better than none. Some are a little better at preventing higher jouls than others. That might be the biggest difference. Next difference is the ability to see the read-outs (volts, amps, etc).

I think there are 2 major players out there competing for your business. There is SurgeGuard and Progressive Industries. No doubt there are others, these are the 2 I've dealt with.

Both will protect your camper, and reading these forums, both will eventually blow up! (die), and both will protect your camper. The biggest difference I've seen and read so far, is the Progressive Industries models have a lifetime warranty. They replace them when they go "poof"! SurgeGuard has a 1 year warranty and then if it dies, you will end up buying another one, or something else.

I had a SurgeGuard, was very happy with it. Plugged in 24 x 7 non-stop, except when traveling on the road. Lightning damaged it (I think) and eventually, it just gave up and died.

I now have a Progressive (SSP 30).
USAF Retired 2000
DOD Civilian to Retire 2015
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adapter Hitch
2014 Winnebago Lite Five FW30RES