cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suspension modifications

sxfd29
Explorer
Explorer
new to trailering, pulling 32 ft tt with 1500 ram looking to upgrade suspension on truck better to go with air bags or joust bumpers.
11 REPLIES 11

sxfd29
Explorer
Explorer
sxfd29 wrote:
new to trailering, pulling 32 ft tt with 1500 ram looking to upgrade suspension on truck better to go with air bags or joust bumpers.
I should have stated that i was trying to reduce the porpoising effect when traveling down bumpy roads. my truck sits level when hitched to the trailer a tows ok.

tunkcurt1
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the firestone ride-rite air bags, and it made a substantial difference. Without them, the rear end felt like mush (yes, even with the weight distributing hitch properly installed). It really doesn't take much air in the bags to level out the truck and make it feel much more stable over big bumps. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 and am pulling a 35' travel trailer.
2005 Sportscoach Encore 380DS
330HP CAT Turbo Diesel

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
silverfz wrote:
Sorry for thread hijack.i have a 3 inch level kit installed by the previous owner.the rear sits 1inch lower. I am thinking of going airbag as even a 1 inch drop is sending me 2 inch down causing some weirdness. As I got thus used,non of the place around me will touch the level spacer to take out.

Find another "garage/mechanic" and have the "leveling kit" removed.

Doing so is better than masking one bad idea with another.

Trucks are trucks and the INTENTIONAL design is the bed when unloaded is HIGHER than the front. When loaded the bed will sit level with the front.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for thread hijack.i have a 3 inch level kit installed by the previous owner.the rear sits 1inch lower. I am thinking of going airbag as even a 1 inch drop is sending me 2 inch down causing some weirdness. As I got thus used,non of the place around me will touch the level spacer to take out.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Get some real weights on your combination and then come back for some real advice. Everybody is guessing until then. With your money.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is Torklift stableloads. Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUNlLdWMl0

I just put them on my 1 ton Dodge. Big improvement.

I would also advise going at least 3/4 ton. 32 feet is really way too much trailer for a 1/2 ton.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of trailer. Think about getting a bigger truck. You won't regret it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
If it's a case of the truck not setting level and sagging too much in the rear then you're equalizer hitch is probably not properly adjusted.

I'll bet the OP is asking about air bags because he's not even using or planning to use a properly sized and adjusted weight distribution system. :E If so, he obviously needs to do more research on the proper equipment required to tow a trailer of this size with his truck, otherwise he'd be asking about WD and not air bags. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I was (and still) in the market for a Ram 1500 ED to replace the Liberty, and I found that it is easy to overload a 1500. That is why I am waiting to see what Nissan has to offer. I would get you unit weighed 3 times. 1) Truck Alone 2) Truck with the Weight Distribution disconnected 3) Truck with the weight distribution all set up. After doing that, see if you're overloading the hitch (tongue weight), axles, payload etc.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
sxfd29 wrote:

Is it overloaded?

Before sinking a bunch of money into mods perhaps you should find all the weight specifications for your truck AND get you trailer weighed. Then report back with that info.

My personal take on this is don't waist money and time on suspension mods and move up to a more capable vehicle. Yes there are folks who mod and are happy but at the end of the day you still have a overloaded vehicle..

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you feel you need to upgrade the suspension? If you're trying to increase your towing capacity because you're trailer is to heavy for your truck, then you need to do more then increase the suspension things like brakes etc. come into play in towing ratings. If it's a case of the truck not setting level and sagging too much in the rear then you're equalizer hitch is probably not properly adjusted.