Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUV Tow Vehicle Search - for 35 ft TT

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We are possibly looking at getting a newer Tow Vehicle to replace our 2002 Suburban 2500 8.1, 4.10 (max tow is 12k). This is my wife's daily driver (she works from home, so not a huge deal on gas mileage) and we are looking at options to get something newer to tow our 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 29BH (Unloaded weight is 7200lbs).

From what I've heard and my research, there is NOT an SUV built today that will safely and comfortably tow my travel trailer. I believe the max tow I have seen is the Ford Expedition that will tow 9300 lbs; but that is a 2 wheel drive. It seems that the Cadillac Escalade has plenty of engine - HP: 440 and TQ: 460 - which is more than my suburban, but it's rated at right around 8k. I believe I need tow capacity of atleast 10k.

Anyone have any insights of folks that have needs for an SUV that has a tow capacity of atleast 10k lbs. What do you recommend?
44 REPLIES 44

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the responses. It's not that passenger space isn't important, because it is; however, I understand that the seating is plenty for my family of 4, but having all the cargo space in an SUV and it being accessible is nice. We may just have to go look at the trucks and see how it compares. The engine is great on the BURB. Only 125k, but wife would like newer amenities and technology has changed a lot since then. I may just drop a couple grand into getting back up cameras, new headliner, carpet, etc.....

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Depends...on the Era and option mix...

My GMT400 is a 1 Ton...because ordered it with the F60 option ($68 bucks), which is the snow plow prep package that begets 1 ton front axle torsion bars, etc

Since that era 3/4 ton Sub has the exact same rear axle as the 1 ton duality....why ref my Sub as a K3500...tongue-in-cheek....with a 6,000 lb GAWR

Many 3/4 ton Subs have that F60 option and their owners don’t know

Biggest difference is in wheel base....by a lot...vs a duality...130 inches for my Sub

Plus...it is a TRUCK and made to last many times over what a car would last...

DutchmenSport wrote:
Wow! I tow a 35.5 foot travel trailer with a 1 ton dualy. I could never imagine towing this trailer with anything less. The thought of an SUV or a Suburban blows me away!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in the same boat, the burb just turned 180k and still not sure what's next. I thought I was set on a Ram double cab with the 6.4 Hemi, but am now back to thinking full size van with Quigley 4WD conversion.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Crew cab truck and a tonneau cover or truck cap.

"Voice of Experience" right here... (and I agree:)).

Consider a Ram Mega Cab 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi (It's a long wheelbase truck), or Ford's F-250 Super Duty Crew with the 6.2L gas engine. Both have fantastic payload, and very good tow capabilities for the dollar. Newer bed caps can be really nice, and are quite versatile.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for a 3/4 or 1 ton passenget or conv van.

I agree, while pick ups are nice (if I were to buy one it would be a Ram Mega Cab with the 6.4L) my next RV purchase will likely be a class A DP.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crew cab truck and a tonneau cover or truck cap.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I tow a 35.5 foot travel trailer with a 1 ton dualy. I could never imagine towing this trailer with anything less. The thought of an SUV or a Suburban blows me away!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
GM's 6.0L/6-spd is a strong combo, but it will be about 800rpm higher for the same power you are used to. Thanks fully, the gear spacing helps keep the engine where it's happy.

Bed covers are $150-2000. Get a pickup truck if you don't need the passenger space. They are cheaper than same equipment in a SUV. Get a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel pickup. I had a pickup for 12 years. If it were not for the 3 rows of kids separted space, I'd have another pickup.

Nissan has the NV3500 van and GM's twin 1-ton vans also are significantly cheaper than pickups or SUVs.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
jlrmfc21 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, and I think the 2012/2013 3/4 ton suburbans would be a disappointment with the 6.0 that they have compared to my current 8.1.

I love the 3/4 trucks. The issue isn't really having the passenger room, it's more about where do we put our luggage, bags, etc for a family of 4 - other than in the bed of the truck. That's an option, but when it's raining.....that sucks. I guess I could get a truck cab with it, but it's still a bed of a truck rather than having everything be in an interior area.

If you do not need passenger space, then getting a pickup is a no brainer option. With a pickup, you have virtually unlimited engine, payload, towing options and a topper of even a hard tonneau cover can/will keep your belongings secure and dry, all with more cargo storage than a SUV.
You’re asking a question that you already know the answer to....
And they make carpet kits for people who use pickups as SUVs. They’re not expensive and they make the back of the truck look and feel like a car trunk so your luggage doesn’t get offended by being tossed in a truck bed!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think a crew cab truck with a cap is a great option for folks not needing that third row in a full size SUV. The cap is lockable and weather protected, the truck is a better value than any comparable SUV and you aren't limited to the lightweight 1/2 ton platforms of the current available SUVs. Not having the cargo in the interior of the SUV is a pretty minor compromise, imo.

We have a fifth wheel so a permanent cap is a no-go for us, but I throw on a Softopper around Thanksgiving and leave it on into the spring when we aren't towing and it works great for our family of 5. A fiberglass cap would be even better plus more secure.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 8.1 burb now but I have towed with the newer 6.0. (2010) The 6.0 can tow pretty much what the 8.1 can tow but your rpm's will be a bit higher. Just talking hp and drive train wise, not tow ratings. If you really want to upgrade just sell your 8.1 outright for top dollar because they are so rare. I would not trade it in. You have a unicorn right now haha. For a family of 4 just get a 3/4 ton truck with a shell. JMO

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, and I think the 2012/2013 3/4 ton suburbans would be a disappointment with the 6.0 that they have compared to my current 8.1.

I love the 3/4 trucks. The issue isn't really having the passenger room, it's more about where do we put our luggage, bags, etc for a family of 4 - other than in the bed of the truck. That's an option, but when it's raining.....that sucks. I guess I could get a truck cab with it, but it's still a bed of a truck rather than having everything be in an interior area.

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
None of the automotive companies make an 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton SUV that will support towing 10K lbs and have the payload to boot. GM has a fleet 3/4 Suburban that it produces for municipality needs but it doesn't have any significant tow ratings. You're options are: 1. to find a low mileage 2012/2013 3/4 ton Suburban. This was the last year(s) GM produced them. Unfortunately, they're becoming more scarce. Or, 2. find an 6 Passenger 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup truck. A late model 3/4 ton RAM Megacab will offer you plenty of room on the interior for 6 people. Or 3. Upgrade to a 3/4 ton/1 ton passenger van. Properly equipped passenger vans have plenty of payload capacity.

Good luck in your search.

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, also, the GVWR of the 2018 Whitehawk is 8500 lbs.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We used an excursion to pull a 33 ft TT. With about 180,000 miles we started looking for something newer and found nothing. We ended up trading the TT for a MH.