cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swear my last question not. TT weight

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I'm looking at Jayco jay flight 32' fully load its 9000lbs. My truck can tow up to 8500lbs. I know I'll never fully load it. Would you buy it or stay clear of it?
57 REPLIES 57

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Camper76 wrote:
If I look for trailer around 4500lbs that's probably a 19' trailer. I have family of 4. I'd need to get a 3/4 ton to tow anything bigger.

Pretty close. The thing to remember is whether you are looking for a mobile home or a camper. If you want to buy a mobile home, then you need a mobile home tow vehicle. Great that you started asking before spending. A family can have a great time camping in a 5,000 pound trailer. We did it for years.

The cruel truth is that manufacturers (and a few forum members) who say that their 1/2 ton pickups "can" tow 11,000 or even 13,000 pounds are not talking about typical units but a few specially equipped models. Read the fine print. Most units found on dealer lots are better suited to 1/2 that. Have fun.

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
BizmarksMom wrote:
It's easy to buy way more trailer than you can safely tow. Every dealer out there is telling people they can tow anything with a half-ton truck. I have an F150 with the max tow package. My hard limit for trailer weight, loaded and ready to camp, is 6000 lbs.

I'm single with 2 dogs, and I happen to know that I have a good 1200 lbs loaded in my trailer when I'm headed out to the desert for 2 weeks. I also know that my bed is loaded with extra water, fuel cannisters, a generator, and the beer that didn't fit in the fridge.

For your truck; a trailer that weighs in around 4500 lbs will give you a comfortable margin.

If I look for trailer around 4500lbs that's probably a 19' trailer. I have family of 4. I'd need to get a 3/4 ton to tow anything bigger.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy to buy way more trailer than you can safely tow. Every dealer out there is telling people they can tow anything with a half-ton truck. I have an F150 with the max tow package. My hard limit for trailer weight, loaded and ready to camp, is 6000 lbs.

I'm single with 2 dogs, and I happen to know that I have a good 1200 lbs loaded in my trailer when I'm headed out to the desert for 2 weeks. I also know that my bed is loaded with extra water, fuel cannisters, a generator, and the beer that didn't fit in the fridge.

For your truck; a trailer that weighs in around 4500 lbs will give you a comfortable margin.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty amazing seeing everyone towing big these trailers that should be. I was just asking a question to see i don't trailer anything way to big. I don't want to be that guy.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper76 wrote:
Ok it's gvwr is 6,325.

Terryallan wrote:
With that low a GVWR. I'm guessing. Your payload / carrying capacity, is in the 900lb range.

SoundGuy wrote:
Doubt it would be that low, all depends on the truck's dead weight with a full tank of gas, no passengers, no cargo - subtract that number from the truck's GVWR and the OP won't be guessing, he'll know what it's actual payload capacity is.

Terryallan wrote:
Agree. I'm just guessing based on experience. The only way to know is to weigh it. But it would have to have a awful light curb weight to have much more payload than that.

I've never owned a RAM but I do seem to recall they are in general lighter than my Silverado CrewCab. It's a 2012, has a stickered GVWR of 7000 lbs, and a capacity label indicating the maximum weight of all occupants and cargo should never exceed 1455 lbs. That by definition means it should have a base weight with a full tank of gas of 5545 lbs ... I've put it on a scale and it in fact weighs 5565 lbs including the cargo box liner so the indicated numbers and actual numbers from the scale are remarkably similar. I've since added a soft tonneau cover but I doubt it even weighs 20 lbs. Regardless, with ~ 1400+ lbs of payload capacity to work with, once I account for the weight of just my wife & I along with our son's Bernese Mtn dog, a couple hundred pounds allowance for cargo in the back, and an average of just 625 lbs gross tongue weight transferred from the trailer I'm pretty well tapped out - to stay within the numbers I just can't carry any more while towing our 19' couple's trailer which only averages ~ 4700 lbs loaded & ready to camp. Shocking when you actually look at the numbers honestly. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ forget my comment I was late to the weight lynching party
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
forget towing capacity. whats your payload
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Camper76 wrote:
Ok it's gvwr is 6,325.

Terryallan wrote:
With that low a GVWR. I'm guessing. Your payload / carrying capacity, is in the 900lb range.

Doubt it would be that low, all depends on the truck's dead weight with a full tank of gas, no passengers, no cargo - subtract that number from the truck's GVWR and the OP won't be guessing, he'll know what it's actual payload capacity is.

Agree. I'm just guessing based on experience. The only way to know is to weigh it. But it would have to have a awful light curb weight to have much more payload than that.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Your going to do what you want just notify the board where you go on vacation we will watch out for you

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
The only Quads with 3.55s, and a max trailer of 8,500 are Laramie, and they have a 6,700 GVWR and a 1,380 payload.

That sounds more like it. Clearly the OP needs to do more investigation if he wants to get this right. ๐Ÿ˜‰

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Curious...
2011 Ram Towing Chart

No Quad Cabs with a 6,325 GVWR
The only Quads with 3.55s, and a max trailer of 8,500 are Laramie, and they have a 6,700 GVWR and a 1,380 payload.

Post a pic of the door sticker...and this trailer is too big.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Way too much trailer, or way too little truck.

I have a F150 with the Ford Heavy Duty Payload Package. My cargo capacity, as shown on the yellow sticker on the driver's side door, is 2,286#, and I wouldn't think about towing that trailer.

I'd at least be at the 3/4 ton level, and depending on the price differential between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton, I'd get the 1 ton.

Camper76 wrote:
Ok I'm looking at Jayco jay flight 32' fully load its 9000lbs. My truck can tow up to 8500lbs. I know I'll never fully load it. Would you buy it or stay clear of it?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper76 wrote:
Ok it's gvwr is 6,325.

Terryallan wrote:

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper76 wrote:
Ok it's gvwr is 6,325.

With that low a GVWR. I'm guessing. Your payload / carrying capacity, is in the 900lb range. You will need an extreamly light travel trailer for that truck. Think about it. By the time you hook the 700+lb tongue weight on the truck. Only leaves 200 or so lb for you and the family in the truck
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Look at the tire inflation sticker inside the driver's door. It will say something like "the weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed xxxx lbs. That is your particular truck's payload capacity, and it is the limit you will reach first when towing with a half ton truck.

The OP has been asked for this before and he seems unwilling to post the number. Not sure why?