cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCs with slide(s)?

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
DW and I are looking at upgrading our truck and taking advantage to also upgrade the TC. Been looking at all sorts of different TCs, usually those without slides as we are pretty happy with our small 815 except for no oven, manual jacks, and extra cramped bathroom.

As a joke today, I sent her a link of a Host Cascade double slide. Turns out the joke was on me as she instantly fell in love with it. Having room my DD and SIL to sit and visit with us really appealed to her.

Only concern is being able to use the camper without opening the slides. We make several stops a day and don't want to loose quick and easy access to the TC. Don't think opening/closing the slide is practical as it could mean 10+ cycles per day adding up to 500 cycles per year.

So the question is, for TCs with slides, especially the Host Cascade, can they be used without opening the slide(s)?

P.S.
DS, you can starting having your laughs.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
40 REPLIES 40

kawa900stx
Explorer
Explorer
Jim H must be much skinnier than I. We have the same campers, and there is no way I can get in our unless I climb over the dinette, my daughter can but she's only 100 lbs. But with the slide you may be able to get into the bathroom. But to me the rest of the camper is unusable as the kitchen slide is in the way as well. But for us, once the slides are out there is a ton of inside room.
2002 Ford F350 SD PSD SRW Lariat CC LB 4X4
Vision's w/Hankook DH01 245/70R19.5, Firestone Airbags

2006 Host Rainer DS

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you intend to off-road in the mode of Whazoo and jefe 4X4, a slide-out TC will offer more room with less climbing over each other, we have found. I think it is important to have access to the toilet and other features (fridge and galley) with the slide in. Not all rigs are so capable.

We opted for a sofa rather than the dinette arrangement in our 2005 Lance 1121, which provides for comfortable sitting while on the computer or TV viewing. It is important to be careful deploying the slide only when fairly level and not when loading or unloading the TC. I often spray the slide tracks with chain lube.

Although we operate off road over sand on the beaches at Assateague Island and in several pretty remote spots in Alaska (we had more problems with over head branches in the woods than with the rigs ability to navigate the dirt roads.

Unless your following in the tracks of the likes of Whazoo and Jefe 4X4, a slide-out will be useable. But for the really remote spots on extra rough routes a slide-out rig is prolly not suitable. I would not consider a double slide for our uses, more complicated than necessary.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Kohldad,

The next time that you visit your daughter think about visiting... you and DW can play in our TC... drive it if you want. We'll leave you to it for as long as you need.

See the advantage of full use in a camper with the slide in... then put it out...

Of course you'd want to look at the Lance 1191's to have the same advantages.

Your DS and her DH have been here... about 30 minutes away.

PM if you are interested or get the phone # from her.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

KansasKen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Host Everest, and frankly could, if I really had to, live without the kitchen or dinette slide but don't even think about taking away my couch in the rear slide. Anyway, for minimum access the rear and dinette slide (or kitchen) need to come out a little. However, I've never done that because taking them out all the way or nearly is only a couple of seconds more. I don't feel I will cycle the slides enough in my ownership lifetime to worry about wearing them out. I owned a TC in the mid 70's with no slides and I love my slides, accepting the limitations and issues which they bring which at my advanced age are no longer considerations, i.e. minimalist, off-road, extreme remote destinations.
2011 Host Everest Triple & F350 Crew DRW 4x4 Diesel (both loaded see profile)

Bedlam
I don't understand the aversion to to pushing a button for less than 10 seconds to step inside. The slide may not be fully deployed in ten seconds, but it will be out enough to access the TC. We can get in and out without opening the slide, but it is is easier to hit the the switch for a few seconds than having to brush up against the wall.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Until someone that has one responds, just looking at the pics on the web site it looks like the passenger slide completely covers the entry door when in. That means you will at least have to open it half-way or so if you can squeeze yourself through a smaller door opening.

My take on slides is that I'm glad I have one, but I'm equally glad I don't have 2. We can squeeze into the bathroom on the AF 990 without opening the slide at all, but if we want to use it for anything else it would be very restrictive using it with the slide in, so stopping for lunch I have to make sure we have room on the passenger side to open it. The dogs won't get in with the slide in.

I love the layout of that Host Cascade though. The sofa in the back is a huge plus. Happy wife, happy life. Does anything else really matter when you are on the road?
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 6' 225 and can easily get in and out of mine (Snowriver)with the slide in on quick stops. Opening the slide a little or all of the way is SUPER quick and simple, seconds. The slide button is located at the rear where you can easily reach it outside from most or all TC's i've seen.

Just having a dinette slide makes a HUGE difference for space, IMO. Gives our terriers room to walk around and It allows us to have a dry bath to, which the DW needed/wanted.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
The Host cascade can be used with the rear slide in, but I believe you'll need to open the passenger side slide to get into the bathroom.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
TCs with slides are generally usable once you get inside. It's a tight fit, but I can slide by my slide without opening, but we generally open part way at least. I'm not sure about that model since I haven't been in one.

I'm not sure what you are doing at 10 stops a day that need TC access, but I don't think it's really an issue. I really haven't park on the side of any road that I couldn't open the dinette slide on mine. The slides aren't really that deep and the TC is high with a basement model.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, will be staying with a LB truck.

Other issue is the camper must be useable off the truck.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will you be going to LB truck?

Our EC 850 (SB) can be accessed and used with slide in...I assume the 950 (LB) is same...

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson