cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temperature gun for brakes and bearings?

Jvandererlip
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using a temperature laser gun to monitor brakes and bearings?
I'll be hitting the Smokey Mountains in the spring towing a travel trailer. I thought it would be good information to have.
What number values should I be looking for as a maximum?
I'm an airline pilot and I constantly monitor brake temperature while taxiing. It seems really strange not to have that information available. Do any trucks or big rigs display brake temperature?
28 REPLIES 28

Jvandererlip
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Good garsh.... just another thing to worry about.
You can tell if your brakes are getting hot. And AFTER you pull over at the Crapper Barrel for lunch is not the right time.
Touching the bearing hub has always worked for trailer bearings for me. But then again, Iโ€™m not one to grab on tight to a hub that is obviously radiating heat. Put my hand on the stove once about 40 years ago. Cured me of that right quick.

That's the dilemma, you're getting the information after the fact. It'd be nice to have it real time.
I might pick one up anyways. It might be a good way to see if your trailer brakes are working too hard on the downhills or not enough.
Thanks for all the replies.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Good garsh.... just another thing to worry about.
You can tell if your brakes are getting hot. And AFTER you pull over at the Crapper Barrel for lunch is not the right time.
Touching the bearing hub has always worked for trailer bearings for me. But then again, Iโ€™m not one to grab on tight to a hub that is obviously radiating heat. Put my hand on the stove once about 40 years ago. Cured me of that right quick.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Jvandererlip wrote:
Is anyone using a temperature laser gun to monitor brakes and bearings?
I'll be hitting the Smokey Mountains in the spring towing a travel trailer. I thought it would be good information to have.
What number values should I be looking for as a maximum?
I'm an airline pilot and I constantly monitor brake temperature while taxiing. It seems really strange not to have that information available. Do any trucks or big rigs display brake temperature?

Yes! The temp gun gets used on every fill-up. I take tire, and wheel bearing Hub) temperatures. Also, if weโ€™ve been towing in steep grades, Iโ€™ll โ€œshootโ€ the truck rear differential! Iโ€™m a believer that I may catch a problem, before it becomes a โ€œBIGโ€ problem!

As mentioned, the sunny-side will likely be warmer. Also, if the road has some โ€œcrowningโ€, my โ€œdownhillโ€ side, is always warmer!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also have a Harbor Freight IR thermometer. I check my bearings and tires at my first stop in the morning and about every other gas stop. I look for variations in the temps between hubs/tires. I have never heated my brakes because I use the tranny for most of my downhill speed control, but I still check them.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Overly hot brakes arenโ€™t the problem on a trailer that they can be on an airplane, so most folks are fine ignoring the issue until they glance in the mirror and see the wheels smoking. The main use is to make sure they all match to be sure you havenโ€™t got a wheel bearing going bad or shoes in desperate need of readjustment. If everything is fine and you only used the brakes to stop to check them, they might be 30 degrees above ambient. If you just came down the mountain, however, they can be anything. If they are more than 200 degrees above ambient, you came down way too fast and really should have made better use of lower gears.

Most recently used mine to diagnose an electrical problem on my TV. Sheet metal next to driverโ€™s door handle indicating a short circuit in the handleโ€™s lock/unlock board made a 20 degree temperature difference.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I do as most here have said already. I look for variance but also take into account that the side the sun is hitting while driving is always warmer. It helps to avoid an issue on the road. Typically my wheels run mid to upper 90s to 130. All depends on the day, my load, and which side the sun is on them.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I also use one, check when we pull into rest stops, get gas, etc. Mainly looking for a variance from R-L, also check the toads brakes to make sure they're not dragging.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like Rover Bill pointed out look for variances for spotting a problem. I have a a IR temperature gun for that purpose as well. Harbor freight has them for very little money. Fluke makes a higher quality unit.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always use mine to check the brake drum and bearing temps at my first rest stop in the morning when driving. Any wheel with a higher than average bearing temp or a colder than average brake drum temp indicates a possible problem with that wheel.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Better a temp gun than grabbing a bearing buddy and leaving all the skin from your palm on it. Been there and done that.

Yes, simple, quick and effective, what more could you want? The only place I have used the temp gun (after I got over playing with a new toy) was to hit the inside tire on the DP duals that I can't reach unless I get down on the ground.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Better a temp gun than grabbing a bearing buddy and leaving all the skin from your palm on it. Been there and done that.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fluke IR temp gun I really like. But I rarely think to use it, so perhaps your post will remind me next time I'm towing.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple I bought at Harbor Freight. On long downgrades I will stop at a pull-out if I notice any signs of overheating. I use the gun to check for consistent brake temperatures. Then I wait to go on until they get under 100 Deg. Good time for lunch. Otherwise the best way to cool them off is a long run after I get down from the pass.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I used mine to read temps on springs in Yellowstone. Lots of people asked me how hot each spring was. And yes, I have checked brakes and disks, but more just to see if they all matched. Usually in a car or motor home, the smell is the first clue, but I can understand how important it could be for an airplane. Problem is that most american drivers have no idea about brake failure due to excessive heat. Just watch brake lights on other cars when going down a long interstate grade. Or trucks pulled off with smoking brakes on their trailer.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.