Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the 3 most important charecteristics of your TT to you

JasoninSC
Explorer
Explorer
For me here are my three so far while I am learning about

I want a slide for added room and comfort

I want one with a dinette and a couch with decent view of the television.

I want one with at least a queen bed for me and the wife and maybe even. Bunk system for my two boys.

Now I would love to hear from some of the veteran TRee's on what they like or looked for
77 REPLIES 77

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
It pretty much depends upon what you want to use the TT for.

We wanted a relatively small TT mainly for camping at remote Forest Service campgrounds. With that in mind, the main qualities we wanted were:

Good ground clearance for traveling unpaved Forest Service roads,

Good interior storage,

Generous water and waste tanks,

Walk-around queen bed,

No sofa or TV.

Oh, and it was also easy to pay cash for it new. 😉

We’ve been very happy with our entry-level Pioneer for almost 11 years. We’ve looked at a lot of other campers over the years and I can’t say that we’ve found another that would have met our needs better. My biggest complaint is that it doesn’t have thermo-pane glass and the windows sweat a lot when camping in late winter or early spring.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Three most important:

Running gear operates well and is reliable (if I can't move it easily, I might as well stay home).

The layout fits my camping style ( I don't need to feel uncomfortable when inside).

The TT can be self sufficient for the purpose of boondocking and I want that to be easily done (solar battery charging and the addition of battery capacity makes water carrying/disposal the only limiting factor).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Tim_W wrote:

Slides are a love / hate relationship "In my opinion", DW and I hated that most things cannot be accessed when slides are slide in. Cannot get to fridge or bathroom or bedroom etc.

We ordered ours without a slide because we wanted "turn key" access. We can now just pull over when needed "at a rest stop" and walk right in and access everything.

However, slides give you more interior room but we were willing to give that up for the total access anytime.

Tim

Exactly, we loved our our previous Jayco Jay flight 19BH and our new Jay Flight 26BH (19BH with front bedroom added).

We often pull over at rest sites or large parking lots to eat inside, change diapers, and use the bathroom. Having a slide in the way would make it as inconvenient as the old pop up. Plus all you see on the forums are complaints with leaking slides, torn seals, and bound up slides. I don't want that headache now or in the future, if I can avoid it.

Plus the slides are heavy requiring a bigger truck with more payload for the additional hitch weight.

The 26BH fits all of our wants. The 19BH came close but had a smaller, enclosed double bed. The 26BH adds to that, a front walk around queen with tons of dresser storage and under bed storage. The wife and I looked at everything, and there was give ups with most slide configurations. Superslides have short 60" sofa and half slides offer barely any extra room with all the shortcomings of a slide and lack of storage under the sofa.

My brothers none slide 31' TT has an excellent floorplan like ours but with the sofa on the wall length wise to offer even more room. Not to many offering this floorplan anymore.

We have an 06 StarCraft 2700bh that's very similar to this (same layout--little less cabinet space) and it's served us well for the past 5 years. But the grandkids are bigger now and it tends to get a little crowded at night and on rainy days so we're looking for something with more room that's better suited for extended trips.

This was our first TT and I'll hate to see it go...lots of good memories in it.
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
Quality construction goes without saying.

Double slides in the living room (comes from being cooped up in our current TT for 5 years)

Large window in the rear

Walk around queen size bed

We're shopping now and those are the three "have to haves".
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
reliability: ( though I'm not sure my present Jayco it fitting that description )

Floor space: this is what we enjoy most with our trailer.

economical/practical: trailer fits our life style where it's NOT a burden on our life style.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Noted TrishaR1970's post re the large dogs. Have found that many folks count human bodies in their camping needs, but forget the pooches. Our DFs had a ROO19, which had no slide. Even just adding their small/medium size dog made for really tricky navigation getting meals ready and moving around comfortably. We had a ROO 23 with a slide and for some reason, when evening and time for cut-throat Dominoes rolled around, we ended up with all 4 of us + their small/medium pooch and our 80# World's Best Yellow Camping Lab all spread out with plenty of room for everyone. Need to keep in mind the dog's comfort, lol. Truly, if you plan on taking a dog(s) along, personally wouldn't even take a second look at something without a slide. Dogs don't like being stepped on.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Tim_W wrote:

Slides are a love / hate relationship "In my opinion", DW and I hated that most things cannot be accessed when slides are slide in. Cannot get to fridge or bathroom or bedroom etc.

We ordered ours without a slide because we wanted "turn key" access. We can now just pull over when needed "at a rest stop" and walk right in and access everything.

However, slides give you more interior room but we were willing to give that up for the total access anytime.

Tim

Exactly, we loved our our previous Jayco Jay flight 19BH and our new Jay Flight 26BH (19BH with front bedroom added).

We often pull over at rest sites or large parking lots to eat inside, change diapers, and use the bathroom. Having a slide in the way would make it as inconvenient as the old pop up. Plus all you see on the forums are complaints with leaking slides, torn seals, and bound up slides. I don't want that headache now or in the future, if I can avoid it.

Plus the slides are heavy requiring a bigger truck with more payload for the additional hitch weight.

The 26BH fits all of our wants. The 19BH came close but had a smaller, enclosed double bed. The 26BH adds to that, a front walk around queen with tons of dresser storage and under bed storage. The wife and I looked at everything, and there was give ups with most slide configurations. Superslides have short 60" sofa and half slides offer barely any extra room with all the shortcomings of a slide and lack of storage under the sofa.

My brothers none slide 31' TT has an excellent floorplan like ours but with the sofa on the wall length wise to offer even more room. Not to many offering this floorplan anymore.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Tim_W
Explorer
Explorer
1. Walk around bed
2. No slides
3. Four seasons (Starcraft calls it "Arctic Package")

Tim
Tim

Just Remember: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane :B

2014 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 278BH

2014 Ram BigHorn Hemi 5.7

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The three most important things about my trailer:

1. DW likes it and wants to go camping all the time.

2. DW likes it and wants to go camping all the time.

3. DW likes it and wants to go camping all the time.

Other than that, I agree with what other folks have said.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
1. Slide
2. Replaced crappy mattress
3. Ventilation from all 4 sides.

We have 1 and 2. Since we went from the hybrid to the current TT, we now only have ventilation (windows) on 2 sides - really miss being able to get the breeze from any angle.

Not sure if the one that said bathroom was no big deal meant no bathroom at all - I don't care about the SIZE of the bathroom, shower, etc. They are there, but it mainly just gets used for middle of night trips (which I sometimes still go to bath house so as not to wake others).
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Low to the ground as possible for better aerodynamics

Towability

Bathroom

Comfy bed

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 most important characteristics of a TT for me was (well, actually 5 things):

1. cost - did not want to be paying off a loan years down the road.

2. size - short enough to get into our driveway and allow maneuvering at various types of campground.

3. Bathroom with shower - did not need to be big, but usable.

4. Awning! As big as possible.

5. simplicity - no slide outs or extra electronics

Out 21' TT has been great. The kids use the bed and bunk in back, mom and myself use the drop down dinette for sleeping - it basically becomes a queen size bed.

Now that we've had it for awhile, I honestly wouldn't change much. A larger refrig with separate freezer would be nice. YES, a slide out (or two) would be nice for the extra interior room, but really we spend most of our time outside the camper anyways. Which leads us to the awning - I wish there was more room under it! But it works great for sitting out on those rainy days!

See you on the road!

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
1) Comfortably sleeps 5, and can sleep 6 in a pinch (it can sleep 7).
2) Fully loaded weight of 3300 lbs or less (it's ~3100 according to a Cat scale).
3) No more than 22 feet in length (it's 21).
4) Not a PUP.

2 and 3 really amount to: Towable by a minivan. 🙂 I really wanted a fiberglass egg type trailer, but haven't ever found one that meets the first three requirements.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
walk around bed
recliners
large corner shower
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL
Retired from pulling and went seasonal

river_bravo
Explorer
Explorer