cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ticking time bomb under the hood

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two of my friends had the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump grenade in their 2012 F350s with the 6.7 liter Diesel. It took out the entire fuel system and injectors.

Both trucks had over 130,000 miles on them. One got Ford to pay for part of the repair the other didn't. One was out $7000 and the other $16,000. I had 118,000 miles on mine so I opted to not wait and had mine replaced for $2700 parts a labor plus tax. Apparently the Bosch pump needs more lubricity than US ULSD provides. Oh and the other diesel engine s use the same pump. Do a Google search, there are even class action lawsuits in the works.

Anyways back on point. The repair only takes a day, one dealer local to me wanted to take 5 days at twice the labor charge while one 30 miles away did in in one day for half the price so shop around.

Here is my parts invoice as a heads up

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
91 REPLIES 91

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The site says they still work on filters for Powerstroke, so sounds like Dodge needs them more 😉

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Based on that kit, I would think aftermarket filters would be a wise investment then. I installed a kit on my Dodge truck because the factory filters are just not effective enough to protect the injectors. Looks like this and costs $260. Includes everything including the pipe cutter. One is a water separator, the other 2 micron filter. I've installed 3 kits now, mine, my brother and my neighbor's trucks. About an hour job once you know how.
http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/03_12_cummins_fuel_filter_kit.html

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not research the subject very far, but if those pumps wear on regural basis, I think adding new pump at 150k would be good maintenance?
The same time you can install bypass kit.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
For those who really plan to keep the 6.7 Powerstroke up and past 200k miles mark, here is the contamination preventing kit.

Thanks. I've got it on my Amazon "wish list". Next to find a installation shop for it.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mike/kellie wrote:
Saw this on my Google feed last night. It's not meant to bellow any flames or debate brand loyalty. Those of us with newer diesels are vulnerable to newer technology with both good and bad results. Not meant to be off topic but my 2015 Ram 5500 had water pump issues and dealers were being allocated replacement pumps with a very long waiting list. When I asked about replacement at my dealership, there seemed to be a level of triage that triggered how soon you could get one. Fortunately, my service guy helped me out quickly.

related ouch!

Bad part is, that water pump is not high tech and is basically the same water pump since the 1980s. Appears it is/was a bad batch of them. Dunno why Ram couldn't get a large supply of them, but you could buy one off the shelf, multiple brands and not expensive enough to leave your truck beached if the dealer don't help.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I am just hoping my 2013 lasts until December, 113,000 on the clock.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even with the kit the pump is still going to die and leave you stranded. The only thing it does is limit the cost to what I shelled out
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those who really plan to keep the 6.7 Powerstroke up and past 200k miles mark, here is the contamination preventing kit.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this on my Google feed last night. It's not meant to bellow any flames or debate brand loyalty. Those of us with newer diesels are vulnerable to newer technology with both good and bad results. Not meant to be off topic but my 2015 Ram 5500 had water pump issues and dealers were being allocated replacement pumps with a very long waiting list. When I asked about replacement at my dealership, there seemed to be a level of triage that triggered how soon you could get one. Fortunately, my service guy helped me out quickly.

related ouch!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:

Keep using it. I ran Optilube Summer Blend in my 2005 F350 6.0 and started having injectors go bad after the 60,000 mile mark.

I guess I will. Seems like cheap insurance if it helps. I buy it online and at a better price than the Ford dealer.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO, aversion to risk (real or perceived) is the core argument here. Many companies (i.e., those that sell extended warrantees, oil/fuel additives, CP4 bypass kits, etc.) make a huge fortune working their mojo on those folks who tend to have a higher than average aversion to risk.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Other post that his 50 mpg hybrid is better than 60 mpg diesel (with more power to pair).
So enjoy the humor.

And, the poster who’s not understanding that diesel and hybrid aren’t mutually exclusive.

And not every thread like this thread isn’t started for him and his case. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
BradW wrote:
My only question is will the PM22A Motorcraft additive help extend the pump life on our 2018 F350 6.7? It mentions "lubricity" on the bottle, but I get the feeling it is more about the cetane number than lubricity.

I run that **** thru every tank of our 2006 F350 6.0 for 12 years and never had a fuel system issue.

Keep using it. I ran Optilube Summer Blend in my 2005 F350 6.0 and started having injectors go bad after the 60,000 mile mark.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
My only question is will the PM22A Motorcraft additive help extend the pump life on our 2018 F350 6.7? It mentions "lubricity" on the bottle, but I get the feeling it is more about the cetane number than lubricity.

I run that **** thru every tank of our 2006 F350 6.0 for 12 years and never had a fuel system issue.

I’ve run the PM22A true most every tank of my previous 2013 6.7 and now my 2017 6.7 without issue, last truck had 118k on it when I traded it, perfect running condition.

I do run other brands once in a while when I run out of the Motorcraft stuff or it’s just not handy to pick up - I figure something is better than nothing.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos