cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to NOT Leave in Your Trailer for Winter Storage.

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
What things other than food do you not leave in your trailer during winter storage?
46 REPLIES 46

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
if it can freeze, i take it out. all bedding and perishable food items are removed as well. pretty much the only thing that stays in are the pots, pans silverware, etc. everything fits into 3 large Rubbermaid totes.

I also remove the battery and keep that on a battery tender in my shop where its nice and warm next to the lawn mower battery. Some say its not necessary, but its no big deal for me and why expose it to the harsh winter? cant hurt anything.

Come spring, the trailer can be restocked in about 20 minutes and we're good to go.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Some remove their flat screen TV's if they live where it freezes.

And those people would be wasting their time. This is SO not necessary!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Got all my food items out...I heard the familiar chirping sound the other day. Batteries in the carbon monoxide detector. I also remove the salt and pepper shakers. I go out there just about every day...I think I have burnt more propane than I did camping last year.
Mark

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
yankee camper wrote:
Once forgot to remove a bottle of Tabasco Sauce. Wasn't a pretty sight when I discovered it in the spring.

Same here with a bag of potatoes. Looked like some kind of science experiment gone wrong. Took a few minutes to even figure out what it was.

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Once forgot to remove a bottle of Tabasco Sauce. Wasn't a pretty sight when I discovered it in the spring.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
We remove all food and small batteries (from flashlights, clock, smoke alarm). Everything else that's normally in there stays.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Anything that can freeze, all personal hygiene items like soaps and deodorant, all kitchen cleaning items, as they are subject to freezing and we just simply use those items in the house and resupply in the Spring.

We remove ALL food items, coffee, tea, sugar, spices, everything. Use them in the house and resupply fresh in the Spring.

We wash all bed linens and replace them. We remove all clothing (except some select items) and use them over the winter. Replace in the Spring,... usually with NEW items.

Remove the DISH Satellite receiver and bed-room television. We leave the one in the living room.

Remove all CD's video and audio (we use them in the house or autos over the winter).

Perhaps the better question is, what do we leave IN the camper over the winter?

Answer .. washed and laundered bed linens, bath towels, pots and pans, and dishes and silverware and utensils. Maps, games, camping supplies, fire starters, all the documentation for the camper. Basically, if it isn't wet it can stay in the camper if it's been cleaned and we aren't going to use it in the house over the winter.

When we do winter driveway camps, I take the television back out and clip it back to the wall.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I remove the battery from the smoke alarm as well as things others have mentioned.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Once accidentally left a bag of birdseed in the storage. Mice love it and moved in for the winter. Had to wash absolutely everything, every drawer and cabinet, and any utensils left. Will never do that again. I am still hearing about it from DW and it was 10 years ago.

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
Wife, Inlaws, Pets, Grandkids.....That's why I LOVE this forum. You all crack me up!! Gives me good giggles throughout the day!

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
My water regulator has a gage in it. I forgot it in the camper last year and it messed up the gage. Basically if there's water in it, remove it.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Some remove their flat screen TV's if they live where it freezes.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
We once left a 12 pack of soda in a cabinet we forget to check. Now we make sure we both check all cabinets. Funny thing was every bit of it evaporated. No mess to clean up. Only sign it happened was some staining of the trim along the edge of the cabinet and 12 empty cans.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Some people take out things like paper towels and toilet paper, things that mice may have a field day with.

We don't, because we're in the trailer almost every day for one reason or another.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Pets and grandkids! Seriously, we leave food but it doesn't freeze where we are.