cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on the Cost of RVing

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of planning a trip next summer out to Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all the NPs in Utah. About 3800 miles, round trip, and at least 30 nights. So, I just read an article in Barrons predicting much higher gas prices after the election. Itโ€™s been a good run on low gas prices the last few years and we've got in a lot of great trips. I do remember the $3.75 - $4.50 a gallon price that was common 5-6 years ago and how that curtailed our travel to the point we could only afford to go a couple hundred miles. If prices raise to $5.00 a gallon, as being mentioned by other media, and campgrounds raising their rates as is happening, we are starting to question if we can afford to continue making long trips.
By the way, so far in my planning, campground nights will average $55. Of course some parks will be lower and some higher. With a near $4K just in gas and campground fees, probably looking at well over $6K for the trip. To get to the point of my post, wondering what other folks may be thinking about the cost of RVing these days? At what point does it get just too expensive?
Please, there is nothing political about my post and I hope comments can be civil. I also know the economics of RVing has been discussed here in the past and Iโ€™m not harping on high costs as they are what they are. Just wondering what/if folkโ€™s concerns might be here in the present about the high cost of RVing.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
71 REPLIES 71

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

As it looks like now, the Federal Govt is likely to be in a stalemate for at least a couple years. If Biden takes the Presidency and the Republicans keep the Senate (as it appears now), expect a whole lot of nothing to happen. (sorry this is a close to a-political as you can get based on your political twist on the question).

Now let's say it's a worst case scenario and gas is $5/gal.
- 3800miles at 10mpg is 380 gallons or about $1900. Round it up to $2000 for some local site seeing.
- Even at $2.50/gal, that's only a $1000 difference. Since you are heading out west where boondocking is a lot easier, you can make most of that up with 10-15 boondocking nights. Plus $55/n not being cost conscious. We just ran southern Wyoming thru Utah to Vegas...and our worst price was $35/n with most nights in the $20-25/n range.

All this concern while buying $60,000 trucks and $30,000 trailers...

So nope, I'm not really worried about costs of gas and RV parks suddenly getting out of control.

I hope your right, but with the concessions to the New Green Deal, Gas WILL go up, even if the laws dont change. As was done in the prior administration, executive orders, and additional regulations will be the drivers, raising the cost with zero benefit to anyone but the Government. Who as always will find ways to benefit from the taxes.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

As it looks like now, the Federal Govt is likely to be in a stalemate for at least a couple years. If Biden takes the Presidency and the Republicans keep the Senate (as it appears now), expect a whole lot of nothing to happen. (sorry this is a close to a-political as you can get based on your political twist on the question ...
You couldn't be more wrong. All you do is shut down the government in a manner that extract maximum pain until the opposition gives in to your every demand while you don't have to give an inch. You must have a short memory.

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
OP here and lots of good comments. We are recently retired and are now more tied to a budget. Certainly not quitting RVing, just have to be more conscience of costs. Although I understand supply vs. demand, its a little disheartening seeing certain RV parks doubling the nightly rates and doing nothing to improve their parks.
BTW, I average 9 mpg when towing and I did use $5 a gallon to figure my gas costs. 3800 miles divided by 9 equals 422 gallons. At $5 a pop, that's $2110. I'm by no means a math wiz, but I think that's right. No, I don't believe gas will go up that much by this summer but I do think that by this time next year it's sure a possibility.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election. You can save a ton of money equipping your rig to boondock instead of expensive and likely crowded campgrounds.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

I can't explain this without getting political. anybody watching the news and promises should be well informed however.
bumpy

Depends on your sources, down side of an issue is not told by the mainstream media if it puts one party in a bad light, and hence, many are not aware of the dire consequences.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we are fortunate that we can travel when we want, where we want. Over the last 10 years our cost/day worked out to $50-60 average. Now we generally stay in one spot for several days and seldom travel more than 250 miles/day, so gas costs get spread around. And we often use FS/BLM campgrounds or state parks. prefer the more remote older campgrounds and they are usually near where we want tp visit and we usually cook our own meals.

Our last trip to the steens mtns for a week cost us $24 for the campsite (BLM senior rate $4/day, regular rate $8/day) and $200 for fuel.

A few years ago we took the grandkids to yellowstone and glacier and stayed at FS campgrounds near the park again <$10day vs cost in the park or an RV park

and when we compare our cost/day camping vs. our discrecionary expenses at home, camping is lower cost/day.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wapiticountry wrote:
The world currently has a surplus supply of oil, excess production capacity and weak global demand.
Seems reasonable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Like every election that has come before, the promises, slogans and campaign agendas that dominated the pre-election are mostly forgotten and shoved aside in the days that follow that election. Bold initiatives are replaced by pragmatic foot dragging. Or as told in song by one of the greatest rock bands in history:

"There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again, no, no
Yeah
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Pete Townsend and The Who Circa 1971

The world currently has a surplus supply of oil, excess production capacity and weak global demand. An election doesn't change those dynamics.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

I do. I listened to them speak.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what kind of math the OP is using but if he got 5 MPG and gas was $2.50 he would spend less then $2000 on gas. 30 nights at $50 is $1500. We spend the same on food and cloths when away as we do at home and our light bill at home is way less when we are away. Where does the $6000 number come from? I hope the OP gets better then 5 MPG.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I feel you are high by $3000 . But I will tell you where I stand. I just lost a good friend. We had been friends for 60 years. His wife died 6 months ago and then he died recently. His wife was also a childhood friend of my wife and I. That couple were multi millionaires. They had no children both had long careers with good benefits and pay. Neither had any serious illnesses in life. They lived a quiet frugal life.

Years ago we had just purchased a new mh and he visited us to see and talk about the RV life. I could tell he was considering getting into camping. After answering all of his questions I told him not to try camping in order to save money. We would have really enjoyed their company traveling. You could see a change in his thinking with that information.

Where is he and his wife today? I really hope they enjoyed looking at their assets. I'm not sure what memories bank statements can generate. Life is short and death lasts a long time.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
2008 diesel fuel prices were $5 gallon........we and 1000's of others continued to RV
I remember it well. At that time I put my limit at $8. Now, it's probably 10 to $12, but I wouldn't stop driving, just not as much driving.

The neat thing about higher fuel prices is the roads and campgrounds get less crowded.

Highest fuel prices I've ever seen are in Death Valley. This was 2012

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2008 diesel fuel prices were $5 gallon........we and 1000's of others continued to RV

Don't see that changing regardless of possible fuel price increases IF that happens
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
The price has little to do with politics. Demand is down, doubly so with the Rona. That's what's driving the low prices. Could we see a bump up next year...If the Rona is under control and the economy recovers possibly. But telecommuting is likely to take a longer term bite out of demand.

As it looks like now, the Federal Govt is likely to be in a stalemate for at least a couple years. If Biden takes the Presidency and the Republicans keep the Senate (as it appears now), expect a whole lot of nothing to happen. (sorry this is a close to a-political as you can get based on your political twist on the question).

Now let's say it's a worst case scenario and gas is $5/gal.
- 3800miles at 10mpg is 380 gallons or about $1900. Round it up to $2000 for some local site seeing.
- Even at $2.50/gal, that's only a $1000 difference. Since you are heading out west where boondocking is a lot easier, you can make most of that up with 10-15 boondocking nights. Plus $55/n not being cost conscious. We just ran southern Wyoming thru Utah to Vegas...and our worst price was $35/n with most nights in the $20-25/n range.

All this concern while buying $60,000 trucks and $30,000 trailers...

So nope, I'm not really worried about costs of gas and RV parks suddenly getting out of control.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don't spend $55/night on a campsite and If you cant afford $300-600 in additional fuel, you can't afford to RV.
In the meantime, we have all ben getting off so cheap on fuel, it's almost criminal...

(Can't wait to buy a cheap camper and truck if gas hits $5 again)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RV travel costs....memories made.....experiences/adventures had

VS

Airplane costs per person, car rentals/shuttles hotel/motel rooms (unknown elements...bed bugs, adult activities, dirty carpets/bed spreads, shower fungus etc)

I'll take the RV regardless.

This.

That said, ExBF and I were out for 6 weeks in Arizona, New Mexico, and parts in between to Tennessee. We spent $4000 for 2 people. 4 weeks of that was staying in one place, which did reduce gas costs, and got us a monthly rate a RV park (decent but not high-end) in Tucson. That was the single biggest chunk of $$, followed by gas, food, restaurants, and entertainment.

Keep in mind that you will be buying groceries, using gas, and eating out at home if you stay there, too.

If you are willing to stay at less fancy places and without hookups, you can save a lot. Many national park and forest sites are really cheap, with a Golden Age pass.

We limited eating out to 1 meal a day, and certainly could have done less.

Gas is what it is.

If you look at your overall route, figure your MPG, and put in different numbers for gas prices, you will really see that even if gas prices double, that will not be a huge contribution to your trip cost. You can offset it in other ways if you need to.

I think that people who say they can't travel due to gas prices aren't doing the math, or are not willing to compromise on other aspects of the trip. I would rather travel cheap than be stuck at home because of gas prices.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board